portable electronic

  • Jeff Masiello
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 1999
      ok the Massyville Line is going to be in the planning stages for quite some time
      as the holidays approach and the work loads increase.
      Happy Holidays By the way!
      May your stocking be stuffed with trains!
      Anyway,
      As I mentioned I have a briefcase I am planning to convert into the Massyville
      Line. (Massyville being derived from my last name, Masiello) And I would like to
      make it portable. I envision something like this. A place in the briefcase
      houses a 9v battery for operation when there is no electrical outlet available
      and a plug for when there is. This would save money on batteries and allow for
      longer running times. Any ideas on this? I am not very electrically inclined but
      I can learn. I don't think I'd be running more than two trains at once due to
      size restrictions.
      Anything at all would be helpful.
      Thanks,
      Jeff
      ps. anyone considered solar powered train layouts in briefcases or would that
      simply take up waaaaay too much space?

      --
      "Bertoldo said that the forms had first to be released before they could be
      exalted. Yet a marble contained a myriad of forms; had this not been so, all
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 1999
        Jeff,

        How about a Jell cell. I don't know if they are available in 9 volt but 12 volt should be fine as long as you don't use the full voltage. Jell cells are rechargeable lead acid batteries that are used a lot in personal computer backup power supplies. they do not have a 'memory' problem like the nicads, but do like to be kept up to full charge in storage like any lead acid battery. I can't help you with the electronics but try Radio Shack they should have small plugin power supplies and charging circuit kits or books with instructions on how to build them with of course Radio Shack parts. Odd thing that.

        I guess you could use solar panels but unless you plan to show it outside all the time I would think that the lighting in most places would not be sufficiant to provide enought powerunless you provide very large ones that would be prohibitivly expensive.

        Manfred
      • WBolt1809@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 8, 1999
          To: Jeff Masiello

          Hi Jeff,

          concerning a solution with a 9 Volt block, feel free to contact Mr. Darr
          Gill, email:

          << DSGill@... >>

          Wolfgang
        • Jeffrey MacHan
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 8, 1999
            I would suggest that you try a fixed or variable voltage DC wall transformer
            for your power source. You can choose a maximum voltage of 9 or 12 volts.
            If you add a Radio Shack plug adapter to the side of your brief case, you
            can plug the adapter directly into the side or top of the layout. You can
            also put your speed control in a small project box and connect it to the
            layout with a RJ11 telephone jack (4 conductors) which would give you
            control of speed and direction.

            Cheers,
            Jeffrey