Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Why 4'8.5"?

  • Alan Cox
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 24, 2011
      > Of course you're right. But it only goes the way I tried to show, when I was speaking of "rolling stock gauge" (opposite to track gauge). And as there are actually streetcar (tramway for you Brits) systems that

      Ah

      the overall size things can occupy. The UK is pretty small on this -
      about a foot narrower than most mainland Europe and a fair bit lower.
      Both are small compared to many US loading gauges.

      Of course now we have the channel tunnel its all becoming a bit more of a
      problem.

      BTW: "tramway" isn't quite the same as streetcar. A tramway is pretty
      much any railway that goes unfenced down or alongside a public right
      of way. Many tramways were for access to docks and the like and never had
      a tram on them - akin to the US railroads that run or ran through town
      streets.

      A tram is the vehicle - which probably ran on a tramway most of the
      time. Mind you a tram is everything from a cart pushed by a coal miner to
      a public transport vehicle on rails depending on context. English is not a
      very sane language !

      Alan