Piedmont & Shore

  • rgminutillo
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 15, 2011
      I recently let curiosity get the better of me and purchased a loco on eBay with what looks like a Micro-Trains F7 shell painted and decaled as 'Piedmont & Shore' road number 148, sitting on a very old Marklin euro diesel mechanism.

      I received the little engine today. Although quite dirty, the mechanism runs pretty well after a little coaxing (although the lights don't work,) and the shell is, well, probably better than it would have been if I had attempted the work.

      The shell color is pretty close to PRR 'tuscan red', but I might swap it onto a Micro-Trains chassis and run it with one of my Lehigh Valley F7's. But as far as I can tell, there never was a line called 'Piedmont & Shore.' So my question is: has anyone ever heard of 'Piedmont & Shore,' either in so-called real life or as a hobby line?

      RGM
    • Michael Piersdorff
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 15, 2011
        Don't know anything about the P&S, but if the shell is a gray plastic snap-on over the Marklin chassis, I would be willing to bet a tall cool one on a hot summer's day that what you have predates MT and Kaydee in Z. I suspect it was made by Nelson W. Gray of Syracuse, NY only a couple of years after Marklin released Z on the world. Nelson made kits for a few injection-molded American pattern cars (my catalog sheet shows a Railbox car with decals, tank car, flat car, bulkhead and gondola in addition to an F-7 dummy and an F-7 designed for a Marklin 8874 or 8875 diesel) long before Marklin ever got around to it. Somewhere along the line, he sold the injection molds to Kaydee, and the rest, as they say, is history. Nelson was also turning out a number of Nn3 cars.

        I still have the kits I bought from him one snowy day in 1979 on my way back to Ottawa from a holiday in Florida. The F-7 shell was $3.50, the F-7 dummy was $6.00.

        Michael

      • John C. La Rue, Jr.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 15, 2011
          There was never a "Piedmont & Shore", so what we have here is someone's own model railroad name. It used to be more common then it is now, but many people still invent their own names for their pikes.

          John C. La Rue, Jr.
          Bonita Springs, FL

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 16, 2011
            I thought initially that it looked more like an M&T than a Nelson Gray; but I own an unpainted Nelson Grey shell so I'll get it out and make the detailed comparison. I didn't know about his specific F7 kits, but I can tell you that the diesel chassis (which could be an 8875) has been shortened at one end, to make the fit. Hmmm...

            RGM

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Piersdorff <ironduke@...> wrote:

            > Don't know anything about the P&S, but if the shell is a gray plastic snap-on over the Marklin chassis, I would be willing to bet a tall cool one on a hot summer's day that what you have predates MT and Kaydee in Z. I suspect it was made by Nelson W. Gray of Syracuse, NY only a couple of years after Marklin released Z on the world. Nelson made kits for a few injection-molded American pattern cars (my catalog sheet shows a Railbox car with decals, tank car, flat car, bulkhead and gondola in addition to an F-7 dummy and an F-7 designed for a Marklin 8874 or 8875 diesel) long before Marklin ever got around to it. Somewhere along the line, he sold the injection molds to Kaydee, and the rest, as they say, is history. Nelson was also turning out a number of Nn3 cars.
            >
            > I still have the kits I bought from him one snowy day in 1979 on my way back to Ottawa from a holiday in Florida. The F-7 shell was $3.50, the F-7 dummy was $6.00.
            >
            > Michael

            > FREE 3D EARTH SCREENSAVER - Watch the Earth right on your desktop!
            > Check it out at http://www.inbox.com/earth

          • rgminutillo
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 16, 2011
              Yeah purely fictitious. But the look is pretty nice, with replacement number boards, decals, etc.

              RGM

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 16, 2011
                You may have been right in your speculation. The unpainted Nelson Grey shell that I have had for a while is cream colored, not gray, and the Piedmont & Shore shell is black. But the position of the little tab hole in the side skirt is forward, like a Nelson Grey shell. Also there is a large notch cut in the pilot to make room for the Marklin coupler, and the rear ladders have been cut down a bit. Still, looks like it might be a match.

                I guess I'll have to post some comparison pics later today.

                RGM

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 16, 2011
                  I uploaded a set of photos including the Piedmont & Shore, an unpainted cream colored Nelson Grey that I own, and an unpainted M&T shell. Album named 'Piedmont & Shore.'