Main line uncoupling

  • mark2playz
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 14, 2011
      Hi,
      I'm building my first module to the Z-bend spec. While they don't comment on a main line uncoupling track, it seems to be inappropriate to use a permanent magnetic on a module main line. I was wondering what others are doing for the magnet couplers.

      Mark
    • Don Fedjur
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 14, 2011
        Mark,

        Make a spur line and use the uncoupler magnet there or..........get real crafty and make it so you can raise and lower it when running on the main. A bit of work and you may have to go to a heavier magnet.......but doable.

        Don

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 15, 2011
          Don,
          Since I'm modeling a prototype siding/bypass track the spur doesn't make the cut, but I like the crafty idea, particularly since the prototype did the main line switching under blue light conditions: turn on the light and raise the magnetic. I was thinking about using an electromagnet and assumed that if its a good idea, someone here would have already done it.

          Mark

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Fedjur <donfedjur@...> wrote:

          > Mark,
          >
          > Make a spur line and use the uncoupler magnet there or..........get real crafty and make it so you can raise and lower it when running on the main. A bit of work and you may have to go to a heavier magnet.......but doable.
          >

          > Don

        • Uwe Liermann
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 16, 2011
            Hello Mark,

            > I was thinking about using an electromagnet and assumed that if its
            > a good idea, someone here would have already done it.

            it has been done already...

            Manfred Jörger from Germany has developed an electric uncoupling
            magnet:

            http://www.system-joerger.de/html/entkupplung.html

            here in his shop:

            http://www.system-joerger.de/shop/index.php?cPath=13&osCsid=6f8761eac60518c93a7d07bcf51d9d74

            on the website he also provides a short video showing how the magnet
            works:

            low resolution 200KB: http://www.system-joerger.de/download/joerger001.wmv
            high resolution 1.9MB: http://www.system-joerger.de/download/joerger002.wmv

            This system is made for the Maerklin coupler, but I have read in
            another board that it also works with MTL couplers. Those should work
            even without any work on them since they have the trip pin made from
            metal. The Maerklin coupler needs a metal part glued under the hook.

            --
            GreetingZ
            Uwe
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 16, 2011
              Basically you have two possibilities:

              -using a permanent magnetic uncoupler mounted on a hinge in order to allow the magnet to be positionned 90° from the track. You can use a remote controlled model aircraft teleflex (the one that links flight controls to servos for example) in order to control the system.

              -using an electromagnet. Myself I'm working with two Kadee #309, basically done for HO. After difficult beginnings I managed to be able to operate them on my Z scale layout, by only using the external plates and not mounting the internal ones on the uncoupling assembly kit.

              But you're right, one should not use permanently mounted permanent magnets, because it's unavoidable you'll experience parasite uncoupling. Initially I did this on my layout and obviously I came to that conclusion.

              Dom

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 16, 2011
                Sorry, I may have not been clear with the statements below. What I'm meaning is that I'm using 2 Kadee electromagnets (with the changes I was speaking of, dealing with the plates) on two different locations. One electromagnet per location.
                And on another hand, when I wrote "one should not use permanently mounted permanent magnets", I'm meaning "on a main line". Permanently mounted permanent magnets are OK on a spur or a siding.

                Hope this helps,

                Dom

                >-using an electromagnet. Myself I'm working with two Kadee #309, >basically done for HO. After difficult beginnings I managed to be able to >operate them on my Z scale layout, by only using the external plates and >not mounting the internal ones on the uncoupling assembly kit.

                >But you're right, one should not use permanently mounted permanent >magnets, because it's unavoidable you'll experience parasite uncoupling. >Initially I did this on my layout and obviously I came to that conclusion.

                >Dom
              • mark2playz
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 18, 2011
                  Dom,
                  Thanks for the info. The post made sense, particularly after finding an image of the #309.
                  Mark