SD 40-2 <--> DCC??

  • zzzjoop
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2011
      Hello Everybody,

      At first I'd like to wish you all the best for the coming year!!

      I have been a member of the this Yahoogroup for several years reading and seeing what went on. But now i ran into a problem on which I could use sme advice from you all. I bought A MT SD 40 and had my dealer try to to put in in a Digitrax decoder. He went nuts as it didn't fit and it still doesn't. So here is my question: can it made to fit or would the TCS decoder be a better idea?

      Thanks for your idea's!

      Greetings,

      Joop
    • jeffcrist2002
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2011
        Hi, the Digitrax decoder will not work. Most of us are using the TCS decoder, but it needs some milling of the post. Also watch for the motor spring tabs touching the chassis causing a short.

        John
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "zzzjoop" <jgrutter_2@...> wrote:

        > Hello Everybody,
        >
        > At first I'd like to wish you all the best for the coming year!!
        >
        > I have been a member of the this Yahoogroup for several years reading and seeing what went on. But now i ran into a problem on which I could use sme advice from you all. I bought A MT SD 40 and had my dealer try to to put in in a Digitrax decoder. He went nuts as it didn't fit and it still doesn't. So here is my question: can it made to fit or would the TCS decoder be a better idea?
        >
        > Thanks for your idea's!
        >
        > Greetings,
        >
        > Joop

      • Don Fedjur
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 9, 2011
          Hello Joop,

          Sounds like your dealer is learning at your expense >-)-

          The Digitrax Decoder is not gonna work for the SD-40. You definitely want to go to the TCS. That said, there is a number of key adjustments that you will have to make on the engine chassis in order to get it installed and working properly. I speak from experience as I have installed many decoders in the Micro-Train Engines. The SD-40 just takes for work then the other MTL product offerings. The Micro-Trains SD-40 is best in class product that gets even better with the addition of DCC.

          If you want to call me on the phone, I can explain the key points to you, how to, in greater detail. Contact me off forum at donfedjur@...
          Also........I can offer you the decoder and decoder installation as a service.

          Don Fedjur
          Carlsbad, CA