Re: [Z_Scale] Micro Trains Switches, is there a alternative to the bulky switch machine?

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 13, 2010
      I have not played with the MTL switch boxes to see if I can hide them. I
      have hid the Marklin boxes with great success. Here is a link to an image of
      one in my quarry area:

      http://www.ztrack.com/images/turnout_weathered.jpg

      What I do is build up the area around the turnout box with Celluclay so it
      is level with the top of the box. I then paint it with colors that match the
      surrounding area. The final step is to add scenery materials to further
      blend it. Make sure not to impede the mechanism.

      David Smith just posted an article on hiding the MTL switch machines. Here
      is the link:

      http://jamesriverbranch.net/plans_bury.htm

      Rob

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      www.ztrack.com
      www.ztrackcenter.com
      www.ztrackresale.com
      6142 Northcliff Blvd
      Dublin OH 43016
      (614) 764-1703

    • reynard wellman
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 13, 2010
        Hello Rob,

        I've done the same hiding technique with the Marklin
        turnouts and it works to some extent: The lower profile
        does not stick up over the rails like lumpy
        looking solenoid boxes do.

        However the best solution is one that I
        look forward to; the Rokuhan turnouts -- no visible
        solenoid at all!

        Best regardZ,
        Reynard
        On Dec 13, 2010, at 9:35 AM, ztrack@... wrote:

        > I have not played with the MTL switch boxes to see if I can hide them. I
        > have hid the Marklin boxes with great success. Here is a link to an image of
        > one in my quarry area:
        >
        > http://www.ztrack.com/images/turnout_weathered.jpg
        >
        > What I do is build up the area around the turnout box with Celluclay so it
        > is level with the top of the box. I then paint it with colors that match the
        > surrounding area. The final step is to add scenery materials to further
        > blend it. Make sure not to impede the mechanism.
        >
        > David Smith just posted an article on hiding the MTL switch machines. Here
        > is the link:
        >
        > http://jamesriverbranch.net/plans_bury.htm
        >
        > Rob
        >
        > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        > www.ztrack.com
        > www.ztrackcenter.com
        > www.ztrackresale.com
        > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
        > Dublin OH 43016
        > (614) 764-1703

      • sj_baz_man
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 14, 2010
          You can also do it this way:

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "epressey2002" <capzero@...> wrote:

          > I have one remote switch and six manual switches. I have been holding back laying down the switchs because I have been looking for alternatives to remotely controling the six manual Micro Train switches. Is there a alternative to the bulky switch machine from Mico train, or some way of incorporating it under the layout. Thanks for the help.
          >
          > ED

        • dr strangelove
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
            I was playing around with a switch today and I kept thinking, what is that black square on the bottom and what is it for. I find it is magnetic. I took one of those little super magnets, aand held it close and to my surprise the switch changed directions. I reversed the poles on the magnet in my hand and hold it close to the square and it changed position again.
            So how hard would it be to mount an electro magnet under the switch,one that you could reverse polarity with, and use that as a switch machine?
            No drilling or glueing or modifying of anything? One could probably figure out how to use a regular magnet and have some kind of manual operation too.
            Was this known and I missed somthing?
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Avila <zbarr474@...> wrote:

            > *Rob Kluz had a way of hiding them in scenery. Possibly he would post a few
            > photos.
            >
            > ...don
            >

            > *
            > On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 12:30 AM, epressey2002 <capzero@...> wrote:
            >

            > > I have one remote switch and six manual switches. I have been holding back
            > > laying down the switchs because I have been looking for alternatives to
            > > remotely controling the six manual Micro Train switches. Is there a
            > > alternative to the bulky switch machine from Mico train, or some way of
            > > incorporating it under the layout. Thanks for the help.
            > >
            > > ED
            > >

            > --
            > *...don a* *- Northern Ohio, USA*

          • Garth
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
              The magnet is designed to hold the switch points in one position on one side or the other when activated by the coil in the switch machine or when moved by hand manually. Without the magnet the points would flop form side to side. The magnet eliminates the need for a spring to do this job.
              Don't see any reason why you could not activate it using a electro magnetic coil. You could even try using the micro trains one just relocate it to a position under the switch.

              cheerz Garth
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "dr strangelove" <kaiserwillieii0815@...> wrote:

              > I was playing around with a switch today and I kept thinking, what is that black square on the bottom and what is it for. I find it is magnetic. I took one of those little super magnets, aand held it close and to my surprise the switch changed directions. I reversed the poles on the magnet in my hand and hold it close to the square and it changed position again.
              > So how hard would it be to mount an electro magnet under the switch,one that you could reverse polarity with, and use that as a switch machine?
              > No drilling or glueing or modifying of anything? One could probably figure out how to use a regular magnet and have some kind of manual operation too.
              > Was this known and I missed somthing?
              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Avila <zbarr474@> wrote:
              > >
              > > *Rob Kluz had a way of hiding them in scenery. Possibly he would post a few
              > > photos.
              > >
              > > ...don
              > >

              > > *
              > > On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 12:30 AM, epressey2002 <capzero@> wrote:
              > >

              > > > I have one remote switch and six manual switches. I have been holding back
              > > > laying down the switchs because I have been looking for alternatives to
              > > > remotely controling the six manual Micro Train switches. Is there a
              > > > alternative to the bulky switch machine from Mico train, or some way of
              > > > incorporating it under the layout. Thanks for the help.
              > > >
              > > > ED
              > > >

              > > --
              > > *...don a* *- Northern Ohio, USA*

            • sj_baz_man
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
                If the roadbed surface it not too thick , you could mount the MTL remote (or even an ordinary relay for that matter) under it. Drill a small hole in the remote machines link, put a small stiff wire in it (like K&S sells) up into a small hole in the 'manual' turnout's little side slide.

                Another way but more labor intensive is to use the classic manual push/pull coax cable, like bicycle brakes (and you can see an example on the BluePoint turnout controls) http://www.newrailmodels.com/flex_link.htm

                You really would not need the magnet if you did the remote manual HOWEVER, that magnet allows the points to give while running thru them, like the Märklin's.

                Jeff
                SF Bay Area Z