Micro Trains Switches, is there a alternative to the bulky switch machine?

  • epressey2002
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 11, 2010
      I have one remote switch and six manual switches. I have been holding back laying down the switchs because I have been looking for alternatives to remotely controling the six manual Micro Train switches. Is there a alternative to the bulky switch machine from Mico train, or some way of incorporating it under the layout. Thanks for the help.

      ED
    • Don Avila
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 12, 2010
        *Rob Kluz had a way of hiding them in scenery. Possibly he would post a few
        photos.

        ...don

        *

        --
        *...don a* *- Northern Ohio, USA*

      • John Mui
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 12, 2010
          Ed, Rokuhan is coming out with powered switches that has the powered
          mechanism under the tracks.

          John
          >I have one remote switch and six manual switches. I have been holding back
          >laying down the switchs because I have been looking for alternatives to
          >remotely controling the six manual Micro Train switches. Is there a
          >alternative to the bulky switch machine from Mico train, or some way of
          >incorporating it under the layout. Thanks for the help.
          >
          > ED

        • Garth
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 12, 2010
            Any of your undertabel switch machines from N-scale will work such as Hoffman or Tortoise. The wire used to control the switch can be put through the middle of the manual operator.

            cheerz Garth

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "epressey2002" <capzero@...> wrote:

            > I have one remote switch and six manual switches. I have been holding back laying down the switchs because I have been looking for alternatives to remotely controling the six manual Micro Train switches. Is there a alternative to the bulky switch machine from Mico train, or some way of incorporating it under the layout. Thanks for the help.
            >
            > ED

          • Uwe Liermann
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 12, 2010
              Hello Ed,

              > Is there a alternative to the bulky switch machine from Mico train,
              > or some way of incorporating it under the layout.

              You can use a undertable drive to work the turn out. I tested that
              back when I got the manual turn outs some time back. Check out the
              pictures in my album:

              (you have to be logged in at Yahoo groups)

              Bisides the little hole in the knob to work the turn out you have to
              clear a small part at the side of the base plate. Otherwise the wire
              would scratch at the side of the base plate and maybe get stuck. You
              can see that in the red circle in the picture named "turn out parts".

              I hope this helps.

              --
              GreetingZ
              Uwe
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 12, 2010
                Ed, have a look at www.Model-Railroad-Hobbyist.com July 2009 issue for an article on shifting turnouts using R/C servos (model airplane stuff, I know, but any port...etc.). The author demonstrates on an HO turnout, but the idea should work on any gauge.

                Michael

                Publish your photos in seconds for FREE
                TRY IM TOOLPACK at http://www.imtoolpack.com/default.aspx?rc=if4
              • ztrack@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 13, 2010
                  I have not played with the MTL switch boxes to see if I can hide them. I
                  have hid the Marklin boxes with great success. Here is a link to an image of
                  one in my quarry area:

                  http://www.ztrack.com/images/turnout_weathered.jpg

                  What I do is build up the area around the turnout box with Celluclay so it
                  is level with the top of the box. I then paint it with colors that match the
                  surrounding area. The final step is to add scenery materials to further
                  blend it. Make sure not to impede the mechanism.

                  David Smith just posted an article on hiding the MTL switch machines. Here
                  is the link:

                  http://jamesriverbranch.net/plans_bury.htm

                  Rob

                  Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  www.ztrack.com
                  www.ztrackcenter.com
                  www.ztrackresale.com
                  6142 Northcliff Blvd
                  Dublin OH 43016
                  (614) 764-1703

                • reynard wellman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 13, 2010
                    Hello Rob,

                    I've done the same hiding technique with the Marklin
                    turnouts and it works to some extent: The lower profile
                    does not stick up over the rails like lumpy
                    looking solenoid boxes do.

                    However the best solution is one that I
                    look forward to; the Rokuhan turnouts -- no visible
                    solenoid at all!

                    Best regardZ,
                    Reynard
                    On Dec 13, 2010, at 9:35 AM, ztrack@... wrote:

                    > I have not played with the MTL switch boxes to see if I can hide them. I
                    > have hid the Marklin boxes with great success. Here is a link to an image of
                    > one in my quarry area:
                    >
                    > http://www.ztrack.com/images/turnout_weathered.jpg
                    >
                    > What I do is build up the area around the turnout box with Celluclay so it
                    > is level with the top of the box. I then paint it with colors that match the
                    > surrounding area. The final step is to add scenery materials to further
                    > blend it. Make sure not to impede the mechanism.
                    >
                    > David Smith just posted an article on hiding the MTL switch machines. Here
                    > is the link:
                    >
                    > http://jamesriverbranch.net/plans_bury.htm
                    >
                    > Rob
                    >
                    > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    > www.ztrack.com
                    > www.ztrackcenter.com
                    > www.ztrackresale.com
                    > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                    > Dublin OH 43016
                    > (614) 764-1703

                  • sj_baz_man
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 14, 2010
                      You can also do it this way:
                      http://jamesriverbranch.net/plans_bury.htm

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "epressey2002" <capzero@...> wrote:

                      > I have one remote switch and six manual switches. I have been holding back laying down the switchs because I have been looking for alternatives to remotely controling the six manual Micro Train switches. Is there a alternative to the bulky switch machine from Mico train, or some way of incorporating it under the layout. Thanks for the help.
                      >
                      > ED

                    • dr strangelove
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
                        I was playing around with a switch today and I kept thinking, what is that black square on the bottom and what is it for. I find it is magnetic. I took one of those little super magnets, aand held it close and to my surprise the switch changed directions. I reversed the poles on the magnet in my hand and hold it close to the square and it changed position again.
                        So how hard would it be to mount an electro magnet under the switch,one that you could reverse polarity with, and use that as a switch machine?
                        No drilling or glueing or modifying of anything? One could probably figure out how to use a regular magnet and have some kind of manual operation too.
                        Was this known and I missed somthing?
                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Avila <zbarr474@...> wrote:

                        > *Rob Kluz had a way of hiding them in scenery. Possibly he would post a few
                        > photos.
                        >
                        > ...don
                        >

                        > *
                        > On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 12:30 AM, epressey2002 <capzero@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > > I have one remote switch and six manual switches. I have been holding back
                        > > laying down the switchs because I have been looking for alternatives to
                        > > remotely controling the six manual Micro Train switches. Is there a
                        > > alternative to the bulky switch machine from Mico train, or some way of
                        > > incorporating it under the layout. Thanks for the help.
                        > >
                        > > ED
                        > >

                        > --
                        > *...don a* *- Northern Ohio, USA*

                      • Garth
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
                          The magnet is designed to hold the switch points in one position on one side or the other when activated by the coil in the switch machine or when moved by hand manually. Without the magnet the points would flop form side to side. The magnet eliminates the need for a spring to do this job.
                          Don't see any reason why you could not activate it using a electro magnetic coil. You could even try using the micro trains one just relocate it to a position under the switch.

                          cheerz Garth
                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "dr strangelove" <kaiserwillieii0815@...> wrote:

                          > I was playing around with a switch today and I kept thinking, what is that black square on the bottom and what is it for. I find it is magnetic. I took one of those little super magnets, aand held it close and to my surprise the switch changed directions. I reversed the poles on the magnet in my hand and hold it close to the square and it changed position again.
                          > So how hard would it be to mount an electro magnet under the switch,one that you could reverse polarity with, and use that as a switch machine?
                          > No drilling or glueing or modifying of anything? One could probably figure out how to use a regular magnet and have some kind of manual operation too.
                          > Was this known and I missed somthing?
                          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Avila <zbarr474@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > *Rob Kluz had a way of hiding them in scenery. Possibly he would post a few
                          > > photos.
                          > >
                          > > ...don
                          > >

                          > > *
                          > > On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 12:30 AM, epressey2002 <capzero@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > > I have one remote switch and six manual switches. I have been holding back
                          > > > laying down the switchs because I have been looking for alternatives to
                          > > > remotely controling the six manual Micro Train switches. Is there a
                          > > > alternative to the bulky switch machine from Mico train, or some way of
                          > > > incorporating it under the layout. Thanks for the help.
                          > > >
                          > > > ED
                          > > >

                          > > --
                          > > *...don a* *- Northern Ohio, USA*

                        • sj_baz_man
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
                            If the roadbed surface it not too thick , you could mount the MTL remote (or even an ordinary relay for that matter) under it. Drill a small hole in the remote machines link, put a small stiff wire in it (like K&S sells) up into a small hole in the 'manual' turnout's little side slide.

                            Another way but more labor intensive is to use the classic manual push/pull coax cable, like bicycle brakes (and you can see an example on the BluePoint turnout controls) http://www.newrailmodels.com/flex_link.htm

                            You really would not need the magnet if you did the remote manual HOWEVER, that magnet allows the points to give while running thru them, like the Märklin's.

                            Jeff
                            SF Bay Area Z