Re: Bridge clearance

  • Garth
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 5, 2010
      Depends on how many curves there are in your ton of curves.

      2000/number of curves

      have a great weekend

      cheerz Garth

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "FT. Dewey" <kc5uci_2@...> wrote:

      > "it has a TON of curves."
      >
      > Just out of curiosity, how much does each curve weigh? :-o                    DEWEY
      >
      > Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.
      > o o o o o o o . . . ______________________________
      > o _____ || |
      > .][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | |
      > >(________|__|_[_________]_|____________________________|
      > _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`
      > -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

    • mark2playz
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2010
        Michael,
        I think you're really giving yourself a challenge trying the do a bridge in 24 x 26. I did it a while back on a 36" square. Try thinking of the layout being two separate loops: the goes-under loop with a grade that runs from 0 to about 3/4" and a goes-over loop that runs from 1 3/8 down to about 3/4". Then run a transition track between the two loops around the 3/4" height points on the two loops. You can get away with a 2+ % grade on a short transition track easier than on the main.
        BTW: I also use 3rdPlanIt and I like it, although like Loren I still feel the urge to get out the colored pencils and grid paper.

        Mark

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Piersdorff <ironduke@...> wrote:

        > Thank you, Mark. I tried the 1 3/8 inch recommended in one of the other replies, and the grade is a bit steep (bit under 2% in one direction, bit over in the other). I am trying to lengthen the run-up to the bridge, but is isn't easy on a 24 X 26 layout with a folded figure 8 (hello, Loren) layout. I will plug in the 1.2" you have given me, and see what result I get. I am using 3rdPlanIt software, so it isn't as if I have to rip out finished trackwork to make the change.
        >
        > Michael

        > TRY FREE IM TOOLPACK at http://www.imtoolpack.com/default.aspx?rc=if5
        > Capture screenshots, upload images, edit and send them to your friends
        > through IMs, post on Twitter®, Facebook®, MySpace™, LinkedIn® â€" FAST!

      • Ed Dalman
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 5, 2010
          Michael,
          Here is my 2¢.
          Were I can I will have 40 mm [1.575”] clearance from the top of the rails.  My minimum clearance is 35 mm [1.378”], which will be enough to include a catenary wire.  The absolute minimum (without catenary wire) is 30 mm [1.180”] and will give a 2 mm [0.078”] clearance on the highest car.
          All the beZtzzz,
          (Het aller beZte)
          Ed