Re: [Z_Scale] Bridge clearance

  • Don Avila
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2010
      *Michael:

      Don't forget you can have a dip or depression leading up to and under and
      leaving from under the bridge. That should help your grades. Most of my
      layout is 2% and have no problem and it has a TON of curves.

      ...don

      *

      --
      *...don a* *- Northern Ohio, USA*

    • Loren Snyder
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2010
        Michael,
        I feel your pain.....unlike Bill Clinton.

        Your layout length does present the challenge. The layout I did for MTL
        was 38" long thus allowing me more freedom in the % of grade. The MTL
        locos have no trouble negotiating the grade on the MTL layout.,

        I only gave myself enough clearance according to a normal boxcar height. At
        that time, (2005) MTL had not released the Gunderson stack nor had AZL
        released the high cube box car.

        Depending upon what cars you plan to run on your layout, I'd suggest taking
        some track and supports and make a test model to check for clearance. You
        may be able to squeeze in down to 1 1/4" clearance. Been some time since I
        played with my unscientific method of calculating, but I found the old eye
        ball technique worked for me.

        I had never heard of 3rdPlanit software back then, and still don't know a
        thing about it. I tend to use the old fashioned way of using household
        items to plan layouts........string, tape, foot ruler, and of course, the
        eye ball. Works for me, but then I hear a different drum beat.

        Keep on marching,
        Loren

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 5, 2010
          "it has a TON of curves."

          Just out of curiosity, how much does each curve weigh? :-o                    DEWEY

          o _____ || |
          .][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | |
          _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`

          Don't forget you can have a dip or depression leading up to and under and
          leaving from under the bridge.  That should help your grades.  Most of my
          layout is 2% and have no problem and it has a TON of curves.

          ...don

          *
          On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Michael Piersdorff <ironduke@...>wrote:

          > Thank you, Mark. I tried the 1 3/8 inch recommended in one of the other
          > replies, and the grade is a bit steep (bit under 2% in one direction, bit
          > over in the other). I am trying to lengthen the run-up to the bridge, but is
          > isn't easy on a 24 X 26 layout with a folded figure 8 (hello, Loren) layout.
          > I will plug in the 1.2" you have given me, and see what result I get. I am
          > using 3rdPlanIt software, so it isn't as if I have to rip out finished
          > trackwork to make the change.
          >
          > Michael

          > TRY FREE IM TOOLPACK at http://www.imtoolpack.com/default.aspx?rc=if5
          > Capture screenshots, upload images, edit and send them to your friends
          > through IMs, post on Twitter®, Facebook®, MySpace™, LinkedIn® – FAST!

          --
          *...don a*  *- Northern Ohio, USA*

        • Garth
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 5, 2010
            Depends on how many curves there are in your ton of curves.

            2000/number of curves

            have a great weekend

            cheerz Garth

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "FT. Dewey" <kc5uci_2@...> wrote:

            > "it has a TON of curves."
            >
            > Just out of curiosity, how much does each curve weigh? :-o                    DEWEY
            >
            > Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.
            > o o o o o o o . . . ______________________________
            > o _____ || |
            > .][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | |
            > >(________|__|_[_________]_|____________________________|
            > _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`
            > -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

          • mark2playz
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 5, 2010
              Michael,
              I think you're really giving yourself a challenge trying the do a bridge in 24 x 26. I did it a while back on a 36" square. Try thinking of the layout being two separate loops: the goes-under loop with a grade that runs from 0 to about 3/4" and a goes-over loop that runs from 1 3/8 down to about 3/4". Then run a transition track between the two loops around the 3/4" height points on the two loops. You can get away with a 2+ % grade on a short transition track easier than on the main.
              BTW: I also use 3rdPlanIt and I like it, although like Loren I still feel the urge to get out the colored pencils and grid paper.

              Mark

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Piersdorff <ironduke@...> wrote:

              > Thank you, Mark. I tried the 1 3/8 inch recommended in one of the other replies, and the grade is a bit steep (bit under 2% in one direction, bit over in the other). I am trying to lengthen the run-up to the bridge, but is isn't easy on a 24 X 26 layout with a folded figure 8 (hello, Loren) layout. I will plug in the 1.2" you have given me, and see what result I get. I am using 3rdPlanIt software, so it isn't as if I have to rip out finished trackwork to make the change.
              >
              > Michael

              > TRY FREE IM TOOLPACK at http://www.imtoolpack.com/default.aspx?rc=if5
              > Capture screenshots, upload images, edit and send them to your friends
              > through IMs, post on Twitter®, Facebook®, MySpace™, LinkedIn® â€" FAST!

            • Ed Dalman
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 5, 2010
                Michael,
                Here is my 2¢.
                Were I can I will have 40 mm [1.575”] clearance from the top of the rails.  My minimum clearance is 35 mm [1.378”], which will be enough to include a catenary wire.  The absolute minimum (without catenary wire) is 30 mm [1.180”] and will give a 2 mm [0.078”] clearance on the highest car.
                All the beZtzzz,
                (Het aller beZte)
                Ed