Re : [Z_Scale] Bridge clearance height

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2010
      I don't know for the pre-double stack era clearances. But anyway, maybe you could deliberately elect to follow double-stack specification, if one of these days you choose to change your target era. Otherwise you could then have some regrets, on the opposite if you follow these clearance specifications for your chosen era it won't look odd.

      Just my two cents,

      Dom

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2010
        Michael,
        With all the interest in your question, I pulled some of the old road road standards for your reference. I'm uncertain when your prototype was built, but I'm assuming prior to the 1940s. A 19th century SP/CP document calls for 6 feet (1/3 inch in scale) above a boxcar: space for the brakeman. A 1938 Western Pacific standard calls for 22 feet ( 1.2 inches in scale) as the minimum clearance.
        Ultimately its the height that looks right to you and the space you have for the grade to the bridge. I would encourage a grade of 1 1/2 % or less. For the 60s era the highest cars I can think of would be the autoracks and the domed passenger car.

        Mark

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Piersdorff <ironduke@...> wrote:

        > I am working on the design of my first layout, and I have a place where tracks cross - with luck, on a bridge. Question: what is the minimum recommended clearance above railhead for that bridge. This is a mid-60's era short line, so no double stack container cars, etc., but perhaps the odd passenger car.
        >
        > Thanks for your suggestions.
        >
        > Michael

        > Share photos & screenshots in seconds...
        > TRY FREE IM TOOLPACK at http://www.imtoolpack.com/default.aspx?rc=if1
        > Works in all emails, instant messengers, blogs, forums and social networks.

      • RMC Scott
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 5, 2010
          I would even go as far as allowng enough room for catenary (even if you do not intend to use It) 42.5mm (1.675 inches) between the top of the lower rail and the under side of the bridge . You can make this appear lower by lengthening the bridge slightly. . the extra height also makes for easier track cleaning and for picking up any derailments. Try to keep your grade to under 3 % if you are going to run long trains.

          Ralph