Re: [Z_Scale] Bridge clearance

  • Loren Snyder
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2010
      Michael,
      Straight and level works for me

      -------Original Message-------

      From: Michael Piersdorff
      Date: 12/3/2010 7:45:02 PM
      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Z_Scale] Bridge clearance

      Hey, youse guys! The Prinz Edward County Railway, which became the Picton
      Sub of the Central Ontario Railway and was eventually taken over by CN, has
      no tunnels, no cuts, and not many fills - the original surveyors followed
      the flattest profile they could find. I doubt there was more than 50ft
      elevation change from one end to the other (30.5 miles) and the ruling grade
      was a short stretch at about 1.5%...but they did have a few bridges (more
      like trestles across creeks, but I will use a bit of license and use an MTL
      through-girder bridge). Sorry, Loren, no blasted portals...maybe next time.

      Michael

    • Michael Piersdorff
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2010
        Thank you, Mark. I tried the 1 3/8 inch recommended in one of the other replies, and the grade is a bit steep (bit under 2% in one direction, bit over in the other). I am trying to lengthen the run-up to the bridge, but is isn't easy on a 24 X 26 layout with a folded figure 8 (hello, Loren) layout. I will plug in the 1.2" you have given me, and see what result I get. I am using 3rdPlanIt software, so it isn't as if I have to rip out finished trackwork to make the change.

        Michael

        TRY FREE IM TOOLPACK at http://www.imtoolpack.com/default.aspx?rc=if5
        Capture screenshots, upload images, edit and send them to your friends
        through IMs, post on Twitter®, Facebook®, MySpace™, LinkedIn® – FAST!
      • Don Avila
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2010
          *Michael:

          Don't forget you can have a dip or depression leading up to and under and
          leaving from under the bridge. That should help your grades. Most of my
          layout is 2% and have no problem and it has a TON of curves.

          ...don

          *

          --
          *...don a* *- Northern Ohio, USA*

        • Loren Snyder
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2010
            Michael,
            I feel your pain.....unlike Bill Clinton.

            Your layout length does present the challenge. The layout I did for MTL
            was 38" long thus allowing me more freedom in the % of grade. The MTL
            locos have no trouble negotiating the grade on the MTL layout.,

            I only gave myself enough clearance according to a normal boxcar height. At
            that time, (2005) MTL had not released the Gunderson stack nor had AZL
            released the high cube box car.

            Depending upon what cars you plan to run on your layout, I'd suggest taking
            some track and supports and make a test model to check for clearance. You
            may be able to squeeze in down to 1 1/4" clearance. Been some time since I
            played with my unscientific method of calculating, but I found the old eye
            ball technique worked for me.

            I had never heard of 3rdPlanit software back then, and still don't know a
            thing about it. I tend to use the old fashioned way of using household
            items to plan layouts........string, tape, foot ruler, and of course, the
            eye ball. Works for me, but then I hear a different drum beat.

            Keep on marching,
            Loren

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 5, 2010
              "it has a TON of curves."

              Just out of curiosity, how much does each curve weigh? :-o                    DEWEY

              o _____ || |
              .][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | |
              _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`

              Don't forget you can have a dip or depression leading up to and under and
              leaving from under the bridge.  That should help your grades.  Most of my
              layout is 2% and have no problem and it has a TON of curves.

              ...don

              *
              On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Michael Piersdorff <ironduke@...>wrote:

              > Thank you, Mark. I tried the 1 3/8 inch recommended in one of the other
              > replies, and the grade is a bit steep (bit under 2% in one direction, bit
              > over in the other). I am trying to lengthen the run-up to the bridge, but is
              > isn't easy on a 24 X 26 layout with a folded figure 8 (hello, Loren) layout.
              > I will plug in the 1.2" you have given me, and see what result I get. I am
              > using 3rdPlanIt software, so it isn't as if I have to rip out finished
              > trackwork to make the change.
              >
              > Michael

              > TRY FREE IM TOOLPACK at http://www.imtoolpack.com/default.aspx?rc=if5
              > Capture screenshots, upload images, edit and send them to your friends
              > through IMs, post on Twitter®, Facebook®, MySpace™, LinkedIn® – FAST!

              --
              *...don a*  *- Northern Ohio, USA*

            • Garth
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 5, 2010
                Depends on how many curves there are in your ton of curves.

                2000/number of curves

                have a great weekend

                cheerz Garth

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "FT. Dewey" <kc5uci_2@...> wrote:

                > "it has a TON of curves."
                >
                > Just out of curiosity, how much does each curve weigh? :-o                    DEWEY
                >
                > Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.
                > o o o o o o o . . . ______________________________
                > o _____ || |
                > .][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | |
                > >(________|__|_[_________]_|____________________________|
                > _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`
                > -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

              • mark2playz
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 5, 2010
                  Michael,
                  I think you're really giving yourself a challenge trying the do a bridge in 24 x 26. I did it a while back on a 36" square. Try thinking of the layout being two separate loops: the goes-under loop with a grade that runs from 0 to about 3/4" and a goes-over loop that runs from 1 3/8 down to about 3/4". Then run a transition track between the two loops around the 3/4" height points on the two loops. You can get away with a 2+ % grade on a short transition track easier than on the main.
                  BTW: I also use 3rdPlanIt and I like it, although like Loren I still feel the urge to get out the colored pencils and grid paper.

                  Mark

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Piersdorff <ironduke@...> wrote:

                  > Thank you, Mark. I tried the 1 3/8 inch recommended in one of the other replies, and the grade is a bit steep (bit under 2% in one direction, bit over in the other). I am trying to lengthen the run-up to the bridge, but is isn't easy on a 24 X 26 layout with a folded figure 8 (hello, Loren) layout. I will plug in the 1.2" you have given me, and see what result I get. I am using 3rdPlanIt software, so it isn't as if I have to rip out finished trackwork to make the change.
                  >
                  > Michael

                  > TRY FREE IM TOOLPACK at http://www.imtoolpack.com/default.aspx?rc=if5
                  > Capture screenshots, upload images, edit and send them to your friends
                  > through IMs, post on Twitter®, Facebook®, MySpace™, LinkedIn® â€" FAST!

                • Ed Dalman
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 5, 2010
                    Michael,
                    Here is my 2¢.
                    Were I can I will have 40 mm [1.575”] clearance from the top of the rails.  My minimum clearance is 35 mm [1.378”], which will be enough to include a catenary wire.  The absolute minimum (without catenary wire) is 30 mm [1.180”] and will give a 2 mm [0.078”] clearance on the highest car.
                    All the beZtzzz,
                    (Het aller beZte)
                    Ed