Bridge clearance height

  • Michael Piersdorff
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2010
      I am working on the design of my first layout, and I have a place where tracks cross - with luck, on a bridge. Question: what is the minimum recommended clearance above railhead for that bridge. This is a mid-60's era short line, so no double stack container cars, etc., but perhaps the odd passenger car.

      Thanks for your suggestions.

      Michael

      Share photos & screenshots in seconds...
      TRY FREE IM TOOLPACK at http://www.imtoolpack.com/default.aspx?rc=if1
    • Loren Snyder
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2010
        Michael,
        I think about 1 3/8" between the lower railhead and the upper track will
        suffice. Just put a box car on some track and take a visual measurement,
        that ought to do the trick.
        Loren

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 3, 2010
          Michael,
          In the prototype world the height is dependent on the classification of the bottom line, the more mainline it is the heighter the clearance. For a short line 20-25 scale feet (about 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 inches) is appropriate. If its your first design may I suggest you check out the Z-bend spec at www.zbendtrack.com/ . Its a set of guidelines for building a module, but their setbacks and clearances are a good reference for designing a layout.

          Mark

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Piersdorff <ironduke@...> wrote:

          > I am working on the design of my first layout, and I have a place where tracks cross - with luck, on a bridge. Question: what is the minimum recommended clearance above railhead for that bridge. This is a mid-60's era short line, so no double stack container cars, etc., but perhaps the odd passenger car.
          >
          > Thanks for your suggestions.
          >
          > Michael

          > Share photos & screenshots in seconds...
          > TRY FREE IM TOOLPACK at http://www.imtoolpack.com/default.aspx?rc=if1
          > Works in all emails, instant messengers, blogs, forums and social networks.

        • Don Avila
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 3, 2010
            *Loren is correct on the height IF you don't run tall cars. I would point
            out there are many high bridges a hundred years ago and they have nothing to
            do with a specific time period. Go for the higher bridges - the additional
            costs are nil -- and you may change your mind later and want to run some
            more modern equipment down your Z tracks.

            ...don

            *

            --
            *...don a* *- Northern Ohio, USA*

          • Don Fedjur
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 3, 2010
              Hster,

              You need to tell him why you are qualified to prperly answer that
              question.

              Sell him some tunnel portals.

              Don Fedjur

              Sent from my iPhone mobile office.

              On Dec 3, 2010, at 8:51 AM, "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

              > Michael,
              > I think about 1 3/8" between the lower railhead and the upper track
              > will
              > suffice. Just put a box car on some track and take a visual
              > measurement,
              > that ought to do the trick.
              > Loren

            • Loren Snyder
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 3, 2010
                Don,
                I'll even be glad to sell tunnel portals to a guy modeling the plains states
                .....shucks, I don't show favorites. LOL

                Actually the reason I am qualified to answer that question is because I
                built the MTL display layout and it has a figure eight track configuration.
                Believe me, I measured carefully...............

                Loren

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4, 2010
                  Hello Loren,

                  > Actually the reason I am qualified to answer that question is because I
                  > built the MTL display layout and it has a figure eight track configuration.
                  > Believe me, I measured carefully...............

                  you mean that it isn't a figure seven or nine...

                  SCNR

                  --
                  Seasonal GreetingZ from the snow covered Germany
                  Uwe
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 4, 2010
                    Well, I did try a 7 but the turn was way too sharp and when the loco got to
                    the end of the 9 it couldn't turn around. Of course I guess I could have
                    had it going around in endless circles.......then it would have been a big
                    fat zero.

                    > Actually the reason I am qualified to answer that question is because I
                    > built the MTL display layout and it has a figure eight track configuration

                    > Believe me, I measured carefully...............

                    you mean that it isn't a figure seven or nine...

                    SCNR

                    --
                    Seasonal GreetingZ from the snow covered Germany
                    Uwe

                  • de Champeaux Dominique
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 4, 2010
                      I don't know for the pre-double stack era clearances. But anyway, maybe you could deliberately elect to follow double-stack specification, if one of these days you choose to change your target era. Otherwise you could then have some regrets, on the opposite if you follow these clearance specifications for your chosen era it won't look odd.

                      Just my two cents,

                      Dom

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 4, 2010
                        Michael,
                        With all the interest in your question, I pulled some of the old road road standards for your reference. I'm uncertain when your prototype was built, but I'm assuming prior to the 1940s. A 19th century SP/CP document calls for 6 feet (1/3 inch in scale) above a boxcar: space for the brakeman. A 1938 Western Pacific standard calls for 22 feet ( 1.2 inches in scale) as the minimum clearance.
                        Ultimately its the height that looks right to you and the space you have for the grade to the bridge. I would encourage a grade of 1 1/2 % or less. For the 60s era the highest cars I can think of would be the autoracks and the domed passenger car.

                        Mark

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Piersdorff <ironduke@...> wrote:

                        > I am working on the design of my first layout, and I have a place where tracks cross - with luck, on a bridge. Question: what is the minimum recommended clearance above railhead for that bridge. This is a mid-60's era short line, so no double stack container cars, etc., but perhaps the odd passenger car.
                        >
                        > Thanks for your suggestions.
                        >
                        > Michael

                        > Share photos & screenshots in seconds...
                        > TRY FREE IM TOOLPACK at http://www.imtoolpack.com/default.aspx?rc=if1
                        > Works in all emails, instant messengers, blogs, forums and social networks.

                      • RMC Scott
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 5, 2010
                          I would even go as far as allowng enough room for catenary (even if you do not intend to use It) 42.5mm (1.675 inches) between the top of the lower rail and the under side of the bridge . You can make this appear lower by lengthening the bridge slightly. . the extra height also makes for easier track cleaning and for picking up any derailments. Try to keep your grade to under 3 % if you are going to run long trains.

                          Ralph