Thinking about DCC

  • Dawes
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2010
      I have used DCC here in the UK since 2001 on many layouts but only use DC on my Z
      Do any of you use DCC in Z and how do you get on with it as i am thinking of changing over
      For ref my DCC unit is a 5amp super chief
      Dave
    • Loren Snyder
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2010
        Dave,

        A whole bunch of some of the best known use DCC exclusively and love it. A
        little tougher to install, but the principle is the same.

        I've got NCE as many do, but have never installed it yet. I will be DCC in
        our upcoming show in Portland Oregon in February.

        Loren

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2010
          Hi Dave I use DCC on both N and Z and have done HO and G for others now. The big thing with most DCC is the current and track voltage from standard DCC sets use for HO and up.

          I have seen too many casualties from high current and voltage when a short occurs at a turnout and the train stops but the voltage doesn't and next thing you have melted set of valve gear or side frame of a truck.

          I use NCE power cab so input is 12.5v from wall transformer at less than an amp so things on the track can still be disastrous if you are minding the store so to say, but not nearly as fast as with 5 amp 15vac systems. While I don't use the brake lamp on my NCE system most of the N-scale guys around me do with their Digitrax systems. The brake light bulb is from a standard auto supply and runs about 35W and when wired in series with each power section of your DCC layout acts a safety device in that the short is like closing a switch on a 35 watt load and the bulb lights showing a short and saying you loco from emitting smoke as the lamp limits the current in the district. Those that use the the larger systems for Z around here usually limit the voltage using the model from Atlas Railroad Company for dropping the track voltage on the Z scale track to something less than 12vac. Each bridge rectifier drops 1.5 volts to 2 would drop 3 volts bring 1.5 down to 12.5 vac. In addition to that in the set up of the CV's I further set up the max voltage to the engine motor at 9-10 volts.

          Max value of CV5 is 255 so divide 255 by 12.5 = 20.4 x 9v = 183.6 or 184 Or if your system has track voltage of 15.5 then 255 /15.5 = 16.45 x 9 = 148 as the value for CV5. I leave CV2 and 6 at Zero so I get straight line acceleration from 0 to 28 speed steps.

          I love the features you have and while I have yet to do sound as well it is looking very inviting. Anyway I love DCC for Z. Still resisting on the Nn3 but have just about all my Z and a bit of my N change over now.

          cheers Garth

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Dawes" <dave@...> wrote:

          > I have used DCC here in the UK since 2001 on many layouts but only use DC on my Z
          > Do any of you use DCC in Z and how do you get on with it as i am thinking of changing over
          > For ref my DCC unit is a 5amp super chief
          > Dave

        • ahellary
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
            dave

            I have been running dcc ever since I started in z which was 1998 I have a
            digitrax chief with loads of addons such as extra throttles computer control
            using railroad and co gold block detection point control transponding even
            have my traverser dcc'd

            Tony the batty worm keeper from the uk

            _____