Marklin # 8998 turntable problem

  • Rainer Kuhn
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2010
      Hi everybody,

      I just finished installing the above turntable which eventhough it's knew and
      has never been used it has been in storage for about 10 years.
      The good news is that the unit itself seems to be working fine i.e. it turns
      fully in either direction and the locomotive get power to move off the center
      bridge.
      This is where the problem starts: non of the exit tracks connected to the
      turntable i.e. to the roundhouse or any other direction get power meaning the
      engines stop dead after having left the bridge. Some of the tracks have the
      diodes that come with the roundhouse others are simple 8500's. I do believe that
      I connected all electric correct underneath the turntable according to the
      enclosed schematics. It seems to me for some reason the extension spoke tracks
      don't get power therefore not transferring electricity to the exit tracks. In
      any event I also cut and resoldered all 5 wires and changed the plugs.

      I welcome any suggestion and help.

      Thank you all.

      Ray Kuhn

    • Don Fedjur
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2010
        Hi Ray,

        Armchair diagnosis is always interesting, but maybe I can help with some ideas. The diodes are used as the "stop" for each engine stall, so you don't drive your engine past the end. as you go in blind. You'll need to get power to each track with the track selector. So....as you index the turntable to park or retrieve a loco, you select the track to "turn-on" the power to complete your desired task. The instructions that come in the Marklin turntable box pretty much make it all foolproof. Do you have them as a reference? Maybe there is something more than the obvious that I point out here? Take your multi-meter and check allof your electrical connections. Good Luck

        Don