Re: [Z_Scale] Re: WHEN IS A Z LOCO RUNNING RIGHT?

  • Loren Snyder
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
      Mark,
      One additional comment regarding loco performance. Loco performance
      depends partly on how it was assembled and with what care, and also the
      actual parts used. Once a couple of years ago, MTL's machine for making the
      F7 wheel sets became a bit worn and the resulting wheel sets had a slight
      wobble from some factor I am not well versed on. The problem came to light
      in part when one of my customers complained of F7 wobble. Upon
      investigating the issue, the worn tooling was discovered. Upon correction
      of the faulty tool the problem was completely eliminated and all campers
      went to bed happy under the stars that night.

      I think Rob Kluz thoroughly explained why some locos just don't sync
      together easily, differing gear ratios taken into consideration.

      I bought one of the first AZL UP GP7s that was not really ready for prime
      time and was released prior to the regular release. One would have expected
      it to perhaps perform less than ideally because of its early production and
      not having everything just exactly right.
      Low and behold, due to it being hand assembled by a person who really took
      pains to insure the best, my particular loco ran like a scared rabbit.
      Nothing from AZL has ever run quite that good. It walks away from other
      GP7s I've had so I call it my little 'streak'

      This is not to say the other AZL locos have not run well right out of the
      box after a little break in time, but this particular loco seemed to be in a
      class all its own. I know that is an exception to the rule.......but you
      won't hear me complaining about its speed.

      Nice little choo choo.

      Loren

      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
        There is a great deal of difference between an American Flyer or Lionel engine with open frame motor with weight and one of our little Z scale jobs. From working in a hobby shop in early 80's never saw one with cruddy wheels like we do in Z. Being over oiled was never a problem with the heavy weights but it certainly is in N-scale and particularly is Z.

        My preshow check is like Loren to be sure the trucks are clean and have nothing in them. If they look dry then a tiny drop of oil otherwise no oil. I sometimes use a bit of teflon powder if an engine is having trouble out of the box but usually it justs need a tweak on the truck and chassis screws. I have never seen warn out wipers in Z like I have in American Flyer and Lionel. The American Flyer and Lionel stuff I was working on was 40 to 55 years old and our Z stuff just hasn't reached that age yet.

        My basic approach is if it is clean and running leave it alone. If it is sick fix it. And if it is Marklin and old then make sure you run it monthly so it does not freeze up, but I usually clean a new Marklin engine and re lubricate it with Labelle right out of the box so I have avoided the dreaded harden oil syndrome for most of the engines in my Nn3 & Z collection of Marklin steamers.

        Working on David George's fleet of engines the only maintenance I have had to do was due to crude on wheels cat hair in things including axle cones of his rolling stock and broken couplers. The only reason the engines did not run on the track was no power getting through to the motor. Once cleaned they were off and running again. At shows I run a track cleaning car behind the engine on my train consists and I have found metal wheels are a great way to add weight to your cars and they do not collect the crude the Delrin wheels do. No cruddy delrin wheels no crude on diesel wheels either. Then I clean the roller on the track cleaner between shows also.

        cheerz Garth

        > Mark,
        > I can't speak for anyone else, but from attending many a train show and
        > observing others I have come to the conclusion that preventive maintenance
        > is the best thing just prior to a show or for a home running session where
        > you want and need your fleet of locos to run flawlessly and without any sort
        > of hick up other than the occasional derail which happens to all of us from
        > time to time.
        >
        > On MTL locos, the preventative maintenance prior to a show consists mainly
        > of removing the truck side frames, checking for lint and foreign material on
        > the gears, maybe blowing any particles out of the wheel sets, and a tiny
        > drop of oil on the manufacturer's suggested points. That and cleaning the
        > wheels is about all you must do routinely to insure consistent performance.
        > The entire process takes only a few minutes and is fairly simple and pain
        > free. AZL locos are similar with minor differences.
        >
        > Dirt is the Achilles tendon of Z scale operation. Start with excellent
        > track work, regular track cleaning and loco maintenance and you have the
        > formula for 'good times'.
        >
        > Personally I don't think any sort of written parameters are needed or
        > necessary. The whole process is so simple and quick to perform.
        >
        > Just a casual runner's 2 1/2 cents worth.
        >
        > Loren
        >
        > 'it's all in the way you hold your lips'

      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
          I don't do any benchmark on any of my locos. But without any measurement I immediately know when of my loco runs smoothly or on the opposite jerky.

          -For example I've a batch of the first released AZL SD70s, those who run very slowly. I've read here and there that once put appart and reassembled again they run faster and with a lower current drive. Maybe. But as these run very smoothly and as I'm not looking for high speeds I don't need any intervention on these, as furthermore I don't experience any overheat on them nor on the power supply system.

          -I had once a stuck GP35, I guess after it swallowed a grain of ballast or any other rubbish. I sent it to my local hobby store for overhauling. After they charged me of the equivalent of $20 I recovered a loco that ran jerkily.... I just unscrewed a little bit the 4 screws holding half chassis together and everything came back fine (that lets me telling myself the next time such an event occurs I'll fix it myself....).

          Dom