Re: WHEN IS A Z LOCO RUNNING RIGHT?

  • hasbro
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 6, 2010
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mark2playz" <mark.markham@...> wrote:

      > Loren,
      > My question isn't to fix a particular issue. What I'm asking about is what quantitative measurement can be used to determine its time to take the loco off the track and play with the screws.
      >
      > Mark

      Mark,
      I went back to the beginning and reread your question. I think I get it now. I'm not aware of any set standard to measure AZL or MTL loco performance. No set rules, the bottom line I guess is to compare several like locos and notice what the average speed of each is.

      A timed circle will certainly tell you which loco is a slow poke. From there it is likely a matter of tweaking the slow loco to get it to speed up. Not always possible I suppose due to manufacturing idiosyncrasies and care of assembly, (the human factor) perhaps being just a tad off, but generally speaking each loco should perform very close to the operational characteristics of other locos.

      Ever heard of the advice to not buy a car built on Monday or Friday?
      Same may be true of locos or anything else for that matter.
      Loren
    • dpstripe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 6, 2010
        Loren,
        I think what Mark is looking for is some kind of bench mark values. Something provided by the manufacturer that tells the standard performance characteristics of a locomotive. That way, you can compare your loc to the bench marks to see if it is running properly.
        Dan S.

        guess I'm not understanding the overall question.....are you wanting to
        etermine how much time is involved in making a repair and if you consider
        he time excessive?
        oren

        ubject: [Z_Scale] Re: WHEN IS A Z LOCO RUNNING RIGHT?

        oren,
        My question isn't to fix a particular issue. What I'm asking about is
        hat quantitative measurement can be used to determine its time to take the
        oco off the track and play with the screws.

      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 6, 2010
          Dan,
          Mark may be looking for something like that, but there is none to my
          knowledge. I just wrote another missive and mentioned that comparison
          performance is the usual determining factor we look at to determine normal
          operating perameters.

          An element of truth to that concept?

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 6, 2010
            Loren,
            I'm a preventive maintenance sort of guy. I've started running more regularly these days and considering when its time to do a PM on a loco. Marklin says oil every 20 hrs. but that's about it. In my experience with American Flyer engines they basically specified a upper current limit for a running engine, and a distance it should travel in a minute, under specific conditions. The 1st measurement would tell me if its time to clean the motor, replace brushes, etc. and the 2nd usually meant its time to relubricate. I posted a link to examples in another message. I want to do something similar in the way of quantitative measurements for my Z.
            I generally run a speed and current test on everything I aquire. So I'm wondering how much of a current increase or a slow down (or some other measurement I haven't thought of) would indicate that maintenance would be required.
            The side comments with Malcolm are: wouldn't be nice if manufacturers provided some of this info as it would make it easier to do maintenance, would help set performance expectations and provide a consistent basis to answer the original question.

            BTW: I always spend too much time working on my engines...of course I wash the windows inside and out.

            Mark

            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
              Dan,
              Exactly. Manufacturer data would be nice. But also how do other people here bench mark their locos?

              Mark

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
                Loren,
                Sorry my comments are out of sync, when I'm at home, I'm limited to dial-up speeds. I suppose comparison works as long as you have a half dozen units to compare to. But if you have only one what do you compare to? That get's us to Malcolm's SD-40 vs. GP-35 issues.

                Mark

                > Dan,
                > Mark may be looking for something like that, but there is none to my
                > knowledge. I just wrote another missive and mentioned that comparison
                > performance is the usual determining factor we look at to determine normal
                > operating perameters.
                >
                > An element of truth to that concept?
                > Loren

              • Loren Snyder
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
                  Mark,
                  I can't speak for anyone else, but from attending many a train show and
                  observing others I have come to the conclusion that preventive maintenance
                  is the best thing just prior to a show or for a home running session where
                  you want and need your fleet of locos to run flawlessly and without any sort
                  of hick up other than the occasional derail which happens to all of us from
                  time to time.

                  On MTL locos, the preventative maintenance prior to a show consists mainly
                  of removing the truck side frames, checking for lint and foreign material on
                  the gears, maybe blowing any particles out of the wheel sets, and a tiny
                  drop of oil on the manufacturer's suggested points. That and cleaning the
                  wheels is about all you must do routinely to insure consistent performance.
                  The entire process takes only a few minutes and is fairly simple and pain
                  free. AZL locos are similar with minor differences.

                  Dirt is the Achilles tendon of Z scale operation. Start with excellent
                  track work, regular track cleaning and loco maintenance and you have the
                  formula for 'good times'.

                  Personally I don't think any sort of written parameters are needed or
                  necessary. The whole process is so simple and quick to perform.

                  Just a casual runner's 2 1/2 cents worth.

                  Loren

                  'it's all in the way you hold your lips'

                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
                    Mark,
                    One additional comment regarding loco performance. Loco performance
                    depends partly on how it was assembled and with what care, and also the
                    actual parts used. Once a couple of years ago, MTL's machine for making the
                    F7 wheel sets became a bit worn and the resulting wheel sets had a slight
                    wobble from some factor I am not well versed on. The problem came to light
                    in part when one of my customers complained of F7 wobble. Upon
                    investigating the issue, the worn tooling was discovered. Upon correction
                    of the faulty tool the problem was completely eliminated and all campers
                    went to bed happy under the stars that night.

                    I think Rob Kluz thoroughly explained why some locos just don't sync
                    together easily, differing gear ratios taken into consideration.

                    I bought one of the first AZL UP GP7s that was not really ready for prime
                    time and was released prior to the regular release. One would have expected
                    it to perhaps perform less than ideally because of its early production and
                    not having everything just exactly right.
                    Low and behold, due to it being hand assembled by a person who really took
                    pains to insure the best, my particular loco ran like a scared rabbit.
                    Nothing from AZL has ever run quite that good. It walks away from other
                    GP7s I've had so I call it my little 'streak'

                    This is not to say the other AZL locos have not run well right out of the
                    box after a little break in time, but this particular loco seemed to be in a
                    class all its own. I know that is an exception to the rule.......but you
                    won't hear me complaining about its speed.

                    Nice little choo choo.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
                      There is a great deal of difference between an American Flyer or Lionel engine with open frame motor with weight and one of our little Z scale jobs. From working in a hobby shop in early 80's never saw one with cruddy wheels like we do in Z. Being over oiled was never a problem with the heavy weights but it certainly is in N-scale and particularly is Z.

                      My preshow check is like Loren to be sure the trucks are clean and have nothing in them. If they look dry then a tiny drop of oil otherwise no oil. I sometimes use a bit of teflon powder if an engine is having trouble out of the box but usually it justs need a tweak on the truck and chassis screws. I have never seen warn out wipers in Z like I have in American Flyer and Lionel. The American Flyer and Lionel stuff I was working on was 40 to 55 years old and our Z stuff just hasn't reached that age yet.

                      My basic approach is if it is clean and running leave it alone. If it is sick fix it. And if it is Marklin and old then make sure you run it monthly so it does not freeze up, but I usually clean a new Marklin engine and re lubricate it with Labelle right out of the box so I have avoided the dreaded harden oil syndrome for most of the engines in my Nn3 & Z collection of Marklin steamers.

                      Working on David George's fleet of engines the only maintenance I have had to do was due to crude on wheels cat hair in things including axle cones of his rolling stock and broken couplers. The only reason the engines did not run on the track was no power getting through to the motor. Once cleaned they were off and running again. At shows I run a track cleaning car behind the engine on my train consists and I have found metal wheels are a great way to add weight to your cars and they do not collect the crude the Delrin wheels do. No cruddy delrin wheels no crude on diesel wheels either. Then I clean the roller on the track cleaner between shows also.

                      cheerz Garth

                      > Mark,
                      > I can't speak for anyone else, but from attending many a train show and
                      > observing others I have come to the conclusion that preventive maintenance
                      > is the best thing just prior to a show or for a home running session where
                      > you want and need your fleet of locos to run flawlessly and without any sort
                      > of hick up other than the occasional derail which happens to all of us from
                      > time to time.
                      >
                      > On MTL locos, the preventative maintenance prior to a show consists mainly
                      > of removing the truck side frames, checking for lint and foreign material on
                      > the gears, maybe blowing any particles out of the wheel sets, and a tiny
                      > drop of oil on the manufacturer's suggested points. That and cleaning the
                      > wheels is about all you must do routinely to insure consistent performance.
                      > The entire process takes only a few minutes and is fairly simple and pain
                      > free. AZL locos are similar with minor differences.
                      >
                      > Dirt is the Achilles tendon of Z scale operation. Start with excellent
                      > track work, regular track cleaning and loco maintenance and you have the
                      > formula for 'good times'.
                      >
                      > Personally I don't think any sort of written parameters are needed or
                      > necessary. The whole process is so simple and quick to perform.
                      >
                      > Just a casual runner's 2 1/2 cents worth.
                      >
                      > Loren
                      >
                      > 'it's all in the way you hold your lips'

                    • de Champeaux Dominique
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
                        I don't do any benchmark on any of my locos. But without any measurement I immediately know when of my loco runs smoothly or on the opposite jerky.

                        -For example I've a batch of the first released AZL SD70s, those who run very slowly. I've read here and there that once put appart and reassembled again they run faster and with a lower current drive. Maybe. But as these run very smoothly and as I'm not looking for high speeds I don't need any intervention on these, as furthermore I don't experience any overheat on them nor on the power supply system.

                        -I had once a stuck GP35, I guess after it swallowed a grain of ballast or any other rubbish. I sent it to my local hobby store for overhauling. After they charged me of the equivalent of $20 I recovered a loco that ran jerkily.... I just unscrewed a little bit the 4 screws holding half chassis together and everything came back fine (that lets me telling myself the next time such an event occurs I'll fix it myself....).

                        Dom