New to Z gauge. Seeking advice om Marklin locomotives

  • Neil_Machin
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2010
      Hello,

      I have be involved in railway modelling for many years, mostly N gauge and OO or HO scale narrow gauge, but I am now wanting to try Z scale.

      I already have a couple of items of rolling stock but still need a locomotive. The first question that I have is regarding the relative running qualities of the locomotives.

      The Marklin locos I am considering are;
      #8864x BR361
      #8869x BR212 / V100
      #8820x V200

      From these I prefer the look of the smaller locos, however I do also place good runing high on my wants list. Can anyone who has two or more of these locos give an opinion on wether the larger locos run better than the smaller ones? Do more wheels on the ground help? Or are they all quite similar? This is only an outline list, so feel free to mention any other locomotives if you think they are better than any on my list.

      Thanks for any help you can provide.

      Neil
      Riverside Yard http://www.precisionlabels.com/shunt/
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2010
        Neil,

        I do have samples of all three of these in my collection. I find the truck
        based locomotive in general run better that the more rigid frame
        locomotives. Either the 8869x series or the 8820x series will run very well for you.
        The 8869x is a relatively new series with an updated design. I really enjoy
        running these due to their overall look and size. The 8820x have been highly
        dependable for me. Marklin has updated this series and revamped the shell
        last year.

        Rob

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        www.ztrack.com
        www.ztrackcenter.com
        www.ztrackresale.com
        6142 Northcliff Blvd
        Dublin OH 43016
        (614) 764-1703

      • Gary
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2010
          Hi Neil and welcome. I'd just like to add to Rob's excellent advice by suggesting that the Br 216 (8874 and 8875) and Br 218 (8878, 8879 and 8880) are also good value. These are mostly older locos, especially the Br 216s. They're a simple and generally reliable design and you can pick them up easily on eBay. If you want an electric loco it'd be hard to go past the good old Br 144 (8811) - an oldie but a goodie. I've got a few of them - in fact if I could only have one loco it'd be one of those.

          Cheers,
          Gary

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2010
            Gary,

            You are so right about the BR 144. It is a great small electric!

            Rob

            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            www.ztrack.com
            www.ztrackcenter.com
            www.ztrackresale.com
            6142 Northcliff Blvd
            Dublin OH 43016
            (614) 764-1703

          • Arnim v. Herff
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 10, 2010
              Am Samstag, 6. November 2010 14:02:26 schrieb ztrack@...:
              > The 8820x
              > have been highly dependable for me. Marklin has updated this series and
              > revamped the shell last year.

              Hello Rob and Zedonians.

              Please pay attention with the classes 220 and 221 by DB and don't mix it up
              with class 220 by DBAG...

              The well known Märklin modell 8820 and its derivates represents the class
              V200.1 (later class 221, 50 engines built) by Deutsche Bundesbahn:
              http://translate.google.de/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fde.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FDB-Baureihe_V_200.1&sl=de&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8
              (German: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB-Baureihe_V_200.1)

              The locomotive in set 81175 represents the class V200.0 (since 1968 class 220,
              86 engines built) by Deutsche Bundesbahn. It was the predecessor of class 221
              and owned weaker motors, bigger windows of the engine-compartment on the side
              and slightly different noses.:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB_Class_V_200
              (German: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB-Baureihe_V_200.0 - all in all the
              English article seems to be better...)

              So the model in 81175 is not only a revamped shell, but a competion of the
              Z-roster which was wanted by a long time.

              Last class 220 by DB retired in 1984. After fusion of Deutsche Bundesbahn (DB)
              with Deutsche Reichsbahn (DRG of GDR) to the Deutsche Bahn AG (DBAG) in 1994,
              the Russian built class 120 from East-Germany became class 220 by DBAG:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M62_locomotive
              (translation of the article about German M62:
              http://translate.google.de/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fde.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FDR-Baureihe_V_200&sl=de&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8)

              Hope this helps.
              Greetings Arnim

              PS: Anounced model 88300 is a totally different "class": V300 by DB
              (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krauss-Maffei_ML_2200_C'C')
            • Gary
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 10, 2010
                Thanks for that Arnim. I'd always imagined that the V200 that came with the 81175 set was the same as the 8820 and 8821 models, but now I know different.