RE: WHEN IS A Z LOCO RUNNING RIGHT?

  • Malcolm Cleaveland
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 5, 2010
      On Thu Nov 4, 2010 Mark.Markham@... wrote:
      > ... . But as far as the manufacturers, I can find no such performance
      information.

      Mark makes a very good point. I bought an MTL SD-40 and tried it out.
      It ran, but very slowly compared to all the other locos I have, including
      MTL F7s, AZL C44s, SD70s and SD40s. I took it to the Z Scale Convention
      in Medford, and asked Garth to run it. He did, and said it was doing what
      it should. Why should the speeds of these locos be so different at the
      same power setting? Performance metrics from the manufacturers would
      really help. As it is, that MTL SD40 cannot be MUd with any other loco I
      have unless they are both converted to DCC.

      CheerZ,
      -- Malcolm Z
    • John Mui
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 5, 2010
        Malcom Z, what are you waiting for. Its time to dcc your fleet. :D

        John
        >> ... . But as far as the manufacturers, I can find no such performance
        > information.
        >
        > Mark makes a very good point. I bought an MTL SD-40 and tried it out.
        > It ran, but very slowly compared to all the other locos I have, including
        > MTL F7s, AZL C44s, SD70s and SD40s. I took it to the Z Scale Convention
        > in Medford, and asked Garth to run it. He did, and said it was doing what
        > it should. Why should the speeds of these locos be so different at the
        > same power setting? Performance metrics from the manufacturers would
        > really help. As it is, that MTL SD40 cannot be MUd with any other loco I
        > have unless they are both converted to DCC.
        >
        > CheerZ,
        > -- Malcolm Z

      • mark2playz
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 5, 2010
          Malcolm,
          Your speed mismatch is an excellent example. I would have tried to run it with my MTL GP's and if there was nothing visibly wrong with the SD I would have probably returned it as defective.
          I suppose the point I was dancing about is that virtually all the loco manufacturers contract out the actual manufacture. So how do they accept a received product? I'm not sure I want to know the answer.

          Mark

        • ztrack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 5, 2010
            Malcolm, you are dealing with multiple manufacturers, different motors,
            drive trains, and designs. To think that all locomotives should be like is
            incorrect. Just because it has a motor and wheels does not grant a product
            automatic similarity. Does a Kia run like a Ferrari? No one assumes they will. So
            why should we assume our model trains will?

            Motor specs alone can be very different. Marklin uses dozens of motors
            which slightly different specs. AZL and MTL both use 8mm motors, but from
            different manufacturers so the specs are different. Gearing and design
            considerations also means that loco classes from the same manufacture may differ. An
            SD40-2 from MTL does not perform like a GP35. The gearing is very different
            since one is 4 axle the other 6.

            What is more valid is to assume like locomotives from the same run will
            perform consistently together. So if you purchase three like locomotives, the
            will perform much the same. Note though, different runs of locos may act
            differently. Why? Many reasons. Minute changed is tolerances, too much oil, or
            not enough... etc can all factor into performance of a loco. An extended
            break-in period can resolve many issues.

            I caution folks from just claiming locos are 'defective'. What may be your
            perception could very well be the design choices the manufacturer made. DCC
            will solve the issue running dissimilar locomotives together. If you do only
            operate DC, run performance test on your locomotives to determine which
            locos run well together. I actually run my AZL SD40-2s with MTL GP35. I found
            this two very different locos run great together!

            Rob

            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            www.ztrack.com
            www.ztrackcenter.com
            www.ztrackresale.com
            6142 Northcliff Blvd
            Dublin OH 43016
            (614) 764-1703

          • Loren Snyder
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 5, 2010
              Mark,
              Have you played with the tightness of the chassis screws yet? Maybe
              loosening them will help?
              Loren

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 5, 2010
                Sound words of advice Rob. Everyone take heed.
                Loren

                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 6, 2010
                  Rob,

                  While I understand your arguments, I don't think they really address Mark's or Malcolm's questions/comments.

                  While I have never heard of any manufacturer supplying the sort of information Mark says American Flyer supplied concerning current draw, that would be a very handy piece of info to have.

                  Of course it would differ between manufacturers and for different models from the same manufacturer. But it should not differ greatly for the same model by the same manufacturer. If a new GP35 from MTL typically drew 50 to 60 ma at 5 volts, then I would expect something to be wrong if another one drew 80-90 ma at 5 volts. That is simply too large a difference to attribute to different runs. A difference of 50-60 percent in current draw indicates something is wrong.

                  The manufacturers of z-scale equipment do an excellent job of producing very good-looking items, and for the most part good-running items. Even if they did not include the expected current draw information, I think it would be a real plus for operation if they did a quick check on current draw at the time of manufacture. It would probably go a long way to head off complaints that a newly purchased engine doesn't seem to work correctly.

                  But I would love to have some idea from the manufacturer of what numbers I should anticipate for a properly working engine.

                  Ell Geib

                  > Malcolm, you are dealing with multiple manufacturers, different motors,
                  > drive trains, and designs. To think that all locomotives should be like is
                  > incorrect. Just because it has a motor and wheels does not grant a product
                  > automatic similarity. Does a Kia run like a Ferrari? No one assumes they will. So
                  > why should we assume our model trains will?
                  >
                  > Motor specs alone can be very different. Marklin uses dozens of motors
                  > which slightly different specs. AZL and MTL both use 8mm motors, but from
                  > different manufacturers so the specs are different. Gearing and design
                  > considerations also means that loco classes from the same manufacture may differ. An
                  > SD40-2 from MTL does not perform like a GP35. The gearing is very different
                  > since one is 4 axle the other 6.
                  >
                  > What is more valid is to assume like locomotives from the same run will
                  > perform consistently together. So if you purchase three like locomotives, the
                  > will perform much the same. Note though, different runs of locos may act
                  > differently. Why? Many reasons. Minute changed is tolerances, too much oil, or
                  > not enough... etc can all factor into performance of a loco. An extended
                  > break-in period can resolve many issues.
                  >
                  > I caution folks from just claiming locos are 'defective'. What may be your
                  > perception could very well be the design choices the manufacturer made. DCC
                  > will solve the issue running dissimilar locomotives together. If you do only
                  > operate DC, run performance test on your locomotives to determine which
                  > locos run well together. I actually run my AZL SD40-2s with MTL GP35. I found
                  > this two very different locos run great together!
                  >
                  > Rob
                  >
                  > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  > www.ztrack.com
                  > www.ztrackcenter.com
                  > www.ztrackresale.com
                  > 6142 Northcliff Blvd
                  > Dublin OH 43016
                  > (614) 764-1703

                • Thomas Creighton Sr
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 6, 2010
                    Ell, what you also have to consider is the track clean, what size wire being
                    from the power pack as well as length of wire, size of Clips wheels clean power
                    source voltage with constant voltage, etc. T. Creighton Sr

                    ________________________________
> [...]

                    > What is more valid is to assume like locomotives from the same run will
                    > perform consistently together. So if you purchase three like locomotives, the
                    > will perform much the same. Note though, different runs of locos may act
                    > differently. Why? Many reasons. Minute changed is tolerances, too much oil, or

                    > not enough... etc can all factor into performance of a loco. An extended
                    > break-in period can resolve many issues.
                    >
                    > I caution folks from just claiming locos are 'defective'. What may be your
                    > perception could very well be the design choices the manufacturer made. DCC
                    > will solve the issue running dissimilar locomotives together. If you do only
                    > operate DC, run performance test on your locomotives to determine which
                    > locos run well together. I actually run my AZL SD40-2s with MTL GP35. I found
                    > this two very different locos run great together!

                  • Garth
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 6, 2010
                      You also have to consider the motor specs for % or variation in the units manufactured. I think you will find that if you take the part number off the motor in your MTL or AZL engines and go to small motor supplier you will find the data you are looking for. You should also be able to see power &/or torque curves versus RPM.

                      I think comparing an American Flyer motor to the ones we use today in Z is like comparing a model T ford to a present day Dodge Caravan.

                      cheerz Garth

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Creighton Sr <bigtrain6@...> wrote:

                      > Ell, what you also have to consider is the track clean, what size wire being
                      > from the power pack as well as length of wire, size of Clips wheels clean power
                      > source voltage with constant voltage, etc. T. Creighton Sr
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • mark2playz
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 6, 2010
                        Ell,
                        If you want to see what AF made available check out:
                        http://www.myflyertrains.org/gallery/
                        I don't remember the details of how I got my copies, only that my dad got then at the same time he bought an AF maintenance kit at the train store.
                        My question isn't so much just accepting a loco, but maintaining them. As an example from the MR review I know a GP-35 running at 200mA is good. Is 250mA still good or is it suggesting maintenance time?
                        The RPM around an oval is a good way to match locos as well as check the performance. Would Malcolm have been concerned about the SD-40 if it were identified that it does 5 RPM when a GP-35 does 7?
                        As for hard numbers, I could publish what I have on GP-7s,9s, F7s (Marklin & MTL) and a Mikado, if anyone is interested.

                        Mark

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Ell" <geib@...> wrote:

                        > Rob,
                        >
                        > While I understand your arguments, I don't think they really address Mark's or Malcolm's questions/comments.
                        >
                        > While I have never heard of any manufacturer supplying the sort of information Mark says American Flyer supplied concerning current draw, that would be a very handy piece of info to have.
                        >
                        > Of course it would differ between manufacturers and for different models from the same manufacturer. But it should not differ greatly for the same model by the same manufacturer. If a new GP35 from MTL typically drew 50 to 60 ma at 5 volts, then I would expect something to be wrong if another one drew 80-90 ma at 5 volts. That is simply too large a difference to attribute to different runs. A difference of 50-60 percent in current draw indicates something is wrong.
                        >
                        > The manufacturers of z-scale equipment do an excellent job of producing very good-looking items, and for the most part good-running items. Even if they did not include the expected current draw information, I think it would be a real plus for operation if they did a quick check on current draw at the time of manufacture. It would probably go a long way to head off complaints that a newly purchased engine doesn't seem to work correctly.
                        >
                        > But I would love to have some idea from the manufacturer of what numbers I should anticipate for a properly working engine.
                        >
                        > Ell Geib

                      • mark2playz
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 6, 2010
                          Loren,
                          My question isn't to fix a particular issue. What I'm asking about is what quantitative measurement can be used to determine its time to take the loco off the track and play with the screws.

                          Mark

                          > Mark,
                          > Have you played with the tightness of the chassis screws yet? Maybe
                          > loosening them will help?
                          > Loren

                        • Loren Snyder
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 6, 2010
                            Mark,
                            I guess I'm not understanding the overall question.....are you wanting to
                            determine how much time is involved in making a repair and if you consider
                            the time excessive?
                            Loren

                            My question isn't to fix a particular issue. What I'm asking about is
                            what quantitative measurement can be used to determine its time to take the
                            loco off the track and play with the screws.

                          • hasbro
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 6, 2010
                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mark2playz" <mark.markham@...> wrote:

                              > Loren,
                              > My question isn't to fix a particular issue. What I'm asking about is what quantitative measurement can be used to determine its time to take the loco off the track and play with the screws.
                              >
                              > Mark

                              Mark,
                              I went back to the beginning and reread your question. I think I get it now. I'm not aware of any set standard to measure AZL or MTL loco performance. No set rules, the bottom line I guess is to compare several like locos and notice what the average speed of each is.

                              A timed circle will certainly tell you which loco is a slow poke. From there it is likely a matter of tweaking the slow loco to get it to speed up. Not always possible I suppose due to manufacturing idiosyncrasies and care of assembly, (the human factor) perhaps being just a tad off, but generally speaking each loco should perform very close to the operational characteristics of other locos.

                              Ever heard of the advice to not buy a car built on Monday or Friday?
                              Same may be true of locos or anything else for that matter.
                              Loren
                            • dpstripe@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 6, 2010
                                Loren,
                                I think what Mark is looking for is some kind of bench mark values. Something provided by the manufacturer that tells the standard performance characteristics of a locomotive. That way, you can compare your loc to the bench marks to see if it is running properly.
                                Dan S.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 6, 2010
                                  Dan,
                                  Mark may be looking for something like that, but there is none to my
                                  knowledge. I just wrote another missive and mentioned that comparison
                                  performance is the usual determining factor we look at to determine normal
                                  operating perameters.

                                  An element of truth to that concept?

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 6, 2010
                                    Loren,
                                    I'm a preventive maintenance sort of guy. I've started running more regularly these days and considering when its time to do a PM on a loco. Marklin says oil every 20 hrs. but that's about it. In my experience with American Flyer engines they basically specified a upper current limit for a running engine, and a distance it should travel in a minute, under specific conditions. The 1st measurement would tell me if its time to clean the motor, replace brushes, etc. and the 2nd usually meant its time to relubricate. I posted a link to examples in another message. I want to do something similar in the way of quantitative measurements for my Z.
                                    I generally run a speed and current test on everything I aquire. So I'm wondering how much of a current increase or a slow down (or some other measurement I haven't thought of) would indicate that maintenance would be required.
                                    The side comments with Malcolm are: wouldn't be nice if manufacturers provided some of this info as it would make it easier to do maintenance, would help set performance expectations and provide a consistent basis to answer the original question.

                                    BTW: I always spend too much time working on my engines...of course I wash the windows inside and out.

                                    Mark

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
                                      Dan,
                                      Exactly. Manufacturer data would be nice. But also how do other people here bench mark their locos?

                                      Mark

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
                                        Loren,
                                        Sorry my comments are out of sync, when I'm at home, I'm limited to dial-up speeds. I suppose comparison works as long as you have a half dozen units to compare to. But if you have only one what do you compare to? That get's us to Malcolm's SD-40 vs. GP-35 issues.

                                        Mark

                                        > Dan,
                                        > Mark may be looking for something like that, but there is none to my
                                        > knowledge. I just wrote another missive and mentioned that comparison
                                        > performance is the usual determining factor we look at to determine normal
                                        > operating perameters.
                                        >
                                        > An element of truth to that concept?
                                        > Loren

                                      • Loren Snyder
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
                                          Mark,
                                          I can't speak for anyone else, but from attending many a train show and
                                          observing others I have come to the conclusion that preventive maintenance
                                          is the best thing just prior to a show or for a home running session where
                                          you want and need your fleet of locos to run flawlessly and without any sort
                                          of hick up other than the occasional derail which happens to all of us from
                                          time to time.

                                          On MTL locos, the preventative maintenance prior to a show consists mainly
                                          of removing the truck side frames, checking for lint and foreign material on
                                          the gears, maybe blowing any particles out of the wheel sets, and a tiny
                                          drop of oil on the manufacturer's suggested points. That and cleaning the
                                          wheels is about all you must do routinely to insure consistent performance.
                                          The entire process takes only a few minutes and is fairly simple and pain
                                          free. AZL locos are similar with minor differences.

                                          Dirt is the Achilles tendon of Z scale operation. Start with excellent
                                          track work, regular track cleaning and loco maintenance and you have the
                                          formula for 'good times'.

                                          Personally I don't think any sort of written parameters are needed or
                                          necessary. The whole process is so simple and quick to perform.

                                          Just a casual runner's 2 1/2 cents worth.

                                          Loren

                                          'it's all in the way you hold your lips'

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
                                            Mark,
                                            One additional comment regarding loco performance. Loco performance
                                            depends partly on how it was assembled and with what care, and also the
                                            actual parts used. Once a couple of years ago, MTL's machine for making the
                                            F7 wheel sets became a bit worn and the resulting wheel sets had a slight
                                            wobble from some factor I am not well versed on. The problem came to light
                                            in part when one of my customers complained of F7 wobble. Upon
                                            investigating the issue, the worn tooling was discovered. Upon correction
                                            of the faulty tool the problem was completely eliminated and all campers
                                            went to bed happy under the stars that night.

                                            I think Rob Kluz thoroughly explained why some locos just don't sync
                                            together easily, differing gear ratios taken into consideration.

                                            I bought one of the first AZL UP GP7s that was not really ready for prime
                                            time and was released prior to the regular release. One would have expected
                                            it to perhaps perform less than ideally because of its early production and
                                            not having everything just exactly right.
                                            Low and behold, due to it being hand assembled by a person who really took
                                            pains to insure the best, my particular loco ran like a scared rabbit.
                                            Nothing from AZL has ever run quite that good. It walks away from other
                                            GP7s I've had so I call it my little 'streak'

                                            This is not to say the other AZL locos have not run well right out of the
                                            box after a little break in time, but this particular loco seemed to be in a
                                            class all its own. I know that is an exception to the rule.......but you
                                            won't hear me complaining about its speed.

                                            Nice little choo choo.

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
                                              There is a great deal of difference between an American Flyer or Lionel engine with open frame motor with weight and one of our little Z scale jobs. From working in a hobby shop in early 80's never saw one with cruddy wheels like we do in Z. Being over oiled was never a problem with the heavy weights but it certainly is in N-scale and particularly is Z.

                                              My preshow check is like Loren to be sure the trucks are clean and have nothing in them. If they look dry then a tiny drop of oil otherwise no oil. I sometimes use a bit of teflon powder if an engine is having trouble out of the box but usually it justs need a tweak on the truck and chassis screws. I have never seen warn out wipers in Z like I have in American Flyer and Lionel. The American Flyer and Lionel stuff I was working on was 40 to 55 years old and our Z stuff just hasn't reached that age yet.

                                              My basic approach is if it is clean and running leave it alone. If it is sick fix it. And if it is Marklin and old then make sure you run it monthly so it does not freeze up, but I usually clean a new Marklin engine and re lubricate it with Labelle right out of the box so I have avoided the dreaded harden oil syndrome for most of the engines in my Nn3 & Z collection of Marklin steamers.

                                              Working on David George's fleet of engines the only maintenance I have had to do was due to crude on wheels cat hair in things including axle cones of his rolling stock and broken couplers. The only reason the engines did not run on the track was no power getting through to the motor. Once cleaned they were off and running again. At shows I run a track cleaning car behind the engine on my train consists and I have found metal wheels are a great way to add weight to your cars and they do not collect the crude the Delrin wheels do. No cruddy delrin wheels no crude on diesel wheels either. Then I clean the roller on the track cleaner between shows also.

                                              cheerz Garth

                                              > Mark,
                                              > I can't speak for anyone else, but from attending many a train show and
                                              > observing others I have come to the conclusion that preventive maintenance
                                              > is the best thing just prior to a show or for a home running session where
                                              > you want and need your fleet of locos to run flawlessly and without any sort
                                              > of hick up other than the occasional derail which happens to all of us from
                                              > time to time.
                                              >
                                              > On MTL locos, the preventative maintenance prior to a show consists mainly
                                              > of removing the truck side frames, checking for lint and foreign material on
                                              > the gears, maybe blowing any particles out of the wheel sets, and a tiny
                                              > drop of oil on the manufacturer's suggested points. That and cleaning the
                                              > wheels is about all you must do routinely to insure consistent performance.
                                              > The entire process takes only a few minutes and is fairly simple and pain
                                              > free. AZL locos are similar with minor differences.
                                              >
                                              > Dirt is the Achilles tendon of Z scale operation. Start with excellent
                                              > track work, regular track cleaning and loco maintenance and you have the
                                              > formula for 'good times'.
                                              >
                                              > Personally I don't think any sort of written parameters are needed or
                                              > necessary. The whole process is so simple and quick to perform.
                                              >
                                              > Just a casual runner's 2 1/2 cents worth.
                                              >
                                              > Loren
                                              >
                                              > 'it's all in the way you hold your lips'

                                            • de Champeaux Dominique
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Nov 7, 2010
                                                I don't do any benchmark on any of my locos. But without any measurement I immediately know when of my loco runs smoothly or on the opposite jerky.

                                                -For example I've a batch of the first released AZL SD70s, those who run very slowly. I've read here and there that once put appart and reassembled again they run faster and with a lower current drive. Maybe. But as these run very smoothly and as I'm not looking for high speeds I don't need any intervention on these, as furthermore I don't experience any overheat on them nor on the power supply system.

                                                -I had once a stuck GP35, I guess after it swallowed a grain of ballast or any other rubbish. I sent it to my local hobby store for overhauling. After they charged me of the equivalent of $20 I recovered a loco that ran jerkily.... I just unscrewed a little bit the 4 screws holding half chassis together and everything came back fine (that lets me telling myself the next time such an event occurs I'll fix it myself....).

                                                Dom