When is a Z loco running right?

  • mark2playz
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2010
      A couple of weeks back there was quite a bit of discussion about poor performing locos. Other than "the headlight is on and it doesn't move" how do z scalers determine if a loco is running properly? Good enough to ship? or when it needs repairs.
      Looking back on my American Flyer days (I started in model RR at 18 months ;-) ), there was an operational standard they provided for each loco that looked something like this:

      Engine XYZ: on a 120" oval track will draw less than 1.5 A at 12 V and make at least 8 revolutions of the oval in a minute; draw less than 2 A at 12 V pulling 4 box cars and make at least 7 revolutions of the oval in a minute.

      This way there is no question that the engine was manufactured correctly, repaired correctly or needs repair.

      Now that I have too many locos to trust to memory, I keep metrics like this on a 1445 mm oval for all of them. But as far the manufacturers, I can find no such performance information.

      Mark