Hallmark M10000 power (?)

  • Lindley Ruddick
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 27, 2010
      Has anyone tried to power the Hallmark M10000 Christmas ornament?
      Any successes?
      Any ideas?
    • Garth
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 28, 2010
        Yup I am working on one now. I am using the guts from a Japanese EF65 to power it and am working on the drive shafts now. Not ready to show it yet.

        cheerz Garth

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Lindley Ruddick" <elruddick@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone tried to power the Hallmark M10000 Christmas ornament?
        > Any successes?
        > Any ideas?

      • Lindley Ruddick
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 28, 2010
          Based on your past accomplishments, I look forward to this undertaking. I trust you will take many pictures of the process so I can learn from your pioneering work. I fully understand this is a model of a model but it will look great hustling around modules at a train show.
        • Garth
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 28, 2010
            I can't give all my secrets away. eh!

            cheerz Garth

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Lindley Ruddick" <elruddick@...> wrote:

            > Based on your past accomplishments, I look forward to this undertaking. I trust you will take many pictures of the process so I can learn from your pioneering work. I fully understand this is a model of a model but it will look great hustling around modules at a train show.

          • Loren Snyder
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 28, 2010
              Yes you can Garth, you know Z scalers are excellent at keeping secrets
              :o)

              Loren

                *Must be a different Z group than I know....

                ...d

                *
                On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Loren Snyder <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

                > Yes you can Garth, you know Z scalers are excellent at keeping secrets
                > :o)
                >
                > Loren

                *...don a* *- Northern Ohio, USA*

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 28, 2010
                  I have started such a project, using components out of my sratch build box. The first powered truck will come from an old Märklin 216 Diesel chassis with removed second truck.
                  Hope this only powered truck will be sufficient for propulsion and power pick-up. For the trucks of the cars I am still unsure what to use. I have some Märklin US freight trucks, which could be used for additional power pick-up or I will use some of the MTL Nn3 passenger truck still in my box.

                  The engine housing of the M10000 is made from cast zinc and will add some weight to the powered truck, the cars are mainly plastic. This model seems to bee a bit oversize for Z, but this helps you to install motor and drive.

                  Cheers

                  Kurt

                  Thema: [Z_Scale] Hallmark M10000 power (?)

                  Has anyone tried to power the Hallmark M10000 Christmas ornament?
                  Any successes?
                  Any ideas?

                • Don Fedjur
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 28, 2010
                    Just plain Un-American

                    We are on a forum to learn?

                    ........but not share

                    So yer just kidding and holding out until the last possible minute. Genious

                    Don

                    Yes you can Garth, you know Z scalers are excellent at keeping secrets
                    :o)

                    Loren

                      "I can't give all my secrets away. eh! "

                      Somebody tel l"wikileaks " about this. DEWEY

                      o _____ || |
                      .][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | |
                      _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 28, 2010
                        You got the measure of it DON, got a big paddle and just stirring things up, a bit of alchemy goin' on. Checking to see if Loren's awake also.

                        I used both power trucks from a RealZJ EF81 and the motor. The chassis is split metal so I have to isolate the drive pieces from the shell and I am using styrene for that. I cut out the hole for the truck and then lined the pocket with styrene so the front part of the old chassis is a press fit and when done it will be ACC'd in place. At the rear I cut the bottom frame and created a slot for the rear truck and lined it up to match center of articulated joint. The motor went down with silicone under its plastic shell in the base of the car floor at mid point. Now I have just received my mini tubing from Ngineering to create the drive shafts and I will use flexible tube coupling between tube and shafts on motor and tower gears.

                        You have to open up the back of the lead or power car to clear the read part of the EF 81 chassis and I have as yet not decided what to do about the coupling but I have rare earth magnets I can use in the space about the chassis but I thin I will use some styrene to create a coupling like I do with my articulated Doodlebugs and am looking at using MTL passenger trucks from the other cars and build a connection at the rear of the intermediate cars with coupling to trailing car.

                        So in my version it will have power at both ends of the power car and I am working on getting it down as far as possible so the trucks will be hardly discernable.

                        Photos will come on my web page like I did for Hallmark PA's and I have yet to finish the trucks side frames on my Veranda Turbine and add those pictures also.

                        cheerz
                        Garth

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Don Fedjur <donfedjur@...> wrote:

                        > Just plain Un-American
                        >
                        > We are on a forum to learn?
                        >
                        > ........but not share
                        >
                        > So yer just kidding and holding out until the last possible minute. Genious
                        >

                        > Don

                      • Loren Snyder
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 28, 2010
                          I'm awake Garth, just too tired to raise the paddle............

                          You got the measure of it DON, got a big paddle and just stirring things up,
                          a bit of alchemy goin' on. Checking to see if Loren's awake also.
                          <snip>

                        • Lindley Ruddick
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 28, 2010
                            Guess I have stirred up a hornet's nest of comments. All taken in jest (I assume). I really don't want ALL your secrets - just the ones about powering the M10000. Although I am not a Canadian, can I add eh!?
                            Lindley

                            > I can't give all my secrets away. eh!
                            >
                            > cheerz Garth
                            >

                            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Lindley Ruddick" <elruddick@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Based on your past accomplishments, I look forward to this undertaking. I trust you will take many pictures of the process so I can learn from your pioneering work. I fully understand this is a model of a model but it will look great hustling around modules at a train show.

                          • Graham Jones
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 4, 2010
                              Hi All

                              The mad English Z scaler here I have managed to motorize the M9000
                              successfully using an ICE chassis block and coach bogies photos will be
                              sent to the group as soon as I can get them sorted Graham ZClubGB