Re: MTL switch causing derailing

  • Garth
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 25, 2010
      One of the main causes for derailment on new equipment is not setting the height of the coupler trip pin. You run through fine in one direction then reverse and change the switch and as you approach the switch the trip pin hanging down catches the rial runs to a joint then sangs and the engine derails. Turn the engine around and everything is fine going in either direction. I can happen on curves also with longer engines when the trip pin catches a joint in the outside rail. Been there done that several times and I use MTL roadbed track. On the odd switch on the curved route I have had to file the points a bit but that has been less a problem than not adjusting trip pin height.

      cheerz Garth

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "James" <jamesd@...> wrote:

      > Thanks all for the excellent advice.
      >
      > I did check with my finger anyway that rail joints were correctly attached. I see that it's pretty easy to miss joining rails together with MTL track even with the built in road bed.
      >
      > Today I put the engine on the track facing the other way and forward and reverse work great running the main line of the oval and when switched to drive into the siding going forward.
      >
      > Perhaps I had a locomotive wheel off the rail last night. I admit that I couldn't really see them that well. I think I'll need one of those alignment tools for putting locomotives and running stock on the rails properly.
      >
      > Z scale is pretty pricey. I think I'm into this about $500 already and all I've done is build a small bench, buy some foam, MTL starter and expansion track sets, a four pack of add on remote turnout controllers, one locomotive, and a Digitrax Zephyr DCC starter set.
      >
      > I've e-mailed with another member here a few times and he's been a wealth of useful information.
      >
      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "James" <jamesd@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all:
      > >
      > > I've sold all my N scale stuff and am investing in Z scale model railroading.
      > >
      > > I'm using Micro-Train lines track because I love the built in road bed, which I fell in love with when I was using Kato N scale track.
      > >
      > > I have a nice MTL GP35 which works great and at the moment I just have a simple oval with a manual left hand turnout on it.
      > >
      > > Driving the engine forward around my simple starter loop I don't run into any trouble. In this case I'm driving the engine past the turnout where I would have to drive past the turnout, stop the engine, then switch the turnout and back up to go through the siding.
      > >
      > > If however I put the engine in reverse and try to back down the main line without the turnout switched to the siding it always derails and for the life of me I can't figure out why.
      > >
      > > Everything looks okay but I admit that I'm very new to working with such a small scale and may not be seeing the problem.
      > >
      > > I have verified that the rails are flush and are inserted in the joiners.
      > >
      > > Any helpful hints with this would be highly appreciated.
      > >
      > > Thanks.

    • Garth
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 3, 2010
        It is interesting this message was posted on the 25th of September and is just showing up now

> [...]

        > > > I have a nice MTL GP35 which works great and at the moment I just have a simple oval with a manual left hand turnout on it.
        > > >
        > > > Driving the engine forward around my simple starter loop I don't run into any trouble. In this case I'm driving the engine past the turnout where I would have to drive past the turnout, stop the engine, then switch the turnout and back up to go through the siding.
        > > >
        > > > If however I put the engine in reverse and try to back down the main line without the turnout switched to the siding it always derails and for the life of me I can't figure out why.
        > > >
        > > > Everything looks okay but I admit that I'm very new to working with such a small scale and may not be seeing the problem.
        > > >
        > > > I have verified that the rails are flush and are inserted in the joiners.
        > > >
        > > > Any helpful hints with this would be highly appreciated.

      • John Mui
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 3, 2010
          Garth, the USPO just took control of the US emails

          John
          > It is interesting this message was posted on the 25th of September and is
          > just showing up now
          >
          > Garth
          >
          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Garth" <garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> One of the main causes for derailment on new equipment is not setting the
          >> height of the coupler trip pin. You run through fine in one direction
          >> then reverse and change the switch and as you approach the switch the
          >> trip pin hanging down catches the rial runs to a joint then sangs and the
          >> engine derails. Turn the engine around and everything is fine going in
          >> either direction. I can happen on curves also with longer engines when
          >> the trip pin catches a joint in the outside rail. Been there done that
          >> several times and I use MTL roadbed track. On the odd switch on the
          >> curved route I have had to file the points a bit but that has been less a
          >> problem than not adjusting trip pin height.
          >>
          >> cheerz Garth
          >>

          >> --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "James" <jamesd@> wrote:
          >> >
          >> > Thanks all for the excellent advice.
          >> >
          >> > I did check with my finger anyway that rail joints were correctly
          >> > attached. I see that it's pretty easy to miss joining rails together
          >> > with MTL track even with the built in road bed.
          >> >
          >> > Today I put the engine on the track facing the other way and forward
          >> > and reverse work great running the main line of the oval and when
          >> > switched to drive into the siding going forward.
          >> >
          >> > Perhaps I had a locomotive wheel off the rail last night. I admit that
          >> > I couldn't really see them that well. I think I'll need one of those
          >> > alignment tools for putting locomotives and running stock on the rails
          >> > properly.
          >> >
          >> > Z scale is pretty pricey. I think I'm into this about $500 already and
          >> > all I've done is build a small bench, buy some foam, MTL starter and
          >> > expansion track sets, a four pack of add on remote turnout controllers,
          >> > one locomotive, and a Digitrax Zephyr DCC starter set.
          >> >
          >> > I've e-mailed with another member here a few times and he's been a
          >> > wealth of useful information.

        • Loren Snyder
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 3, 2010
            Well, there goes the neighborhood ! :o)

            Loren

            Garth, the USPO just took control of the US emails

            John
            > It is interesting this message was posted on the 25th of September and is
            > just showing up now
            >
            > Garth

          • mark2playz
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 3, 2010
              Garth,
              In the yahoo group messages there is a note that a yahoo mail server has been down and some mail has been delayed up to 5 days.

              Mark