Re: Pushing an F7 dummy

  • trainssd
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2010
      I'm far from an expert, but a good reader, ha ha.

      The MT dummy B units have an incredible amount of drag. This is because instead of free-rolling trucks, what is there is a de-powered unit. If you pull it apart, you will see that the bearing surfaces for the axles is huge. If you thin those down to reduce the contact area it will help a lot.

      I believe this is somewhere on somebody's web site. Not mine yet. Also people have given thought of how to mount freight truck wheelsets in the sideframes.

      Thinning the journals is fairly easy and makes a great difference. Don Fedjur showed me one so modified.

      Regards, Greg

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mark2playz" <mark.markham@...> wrote:

      > The recent 'motor in the loco or tender' thread brought to mind a problem I've had. Running an old (marklin couplers) MTL F7A-A consist where one is a dummy, if the dummy is being pushed it tends to derail. I've played with the dummy's weight a bit which fixes things for awhile, but I haven't been able to fix it. Anyone experience the same thing? Any suggestions?
      >
      > mark

    • mark2playz
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2010
        Greg,
        This makes a lot of sense. When I get back home I'll have to pull the unit apart and give this a try.

        Thanks
        mark

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "trainssd" <greg@...> wrote:

        > The MT dummy B units have an incredible amount of drag. This is because instead of free-rolling trucks, what is there is a de-powered unit. If you pull it apart, you will see that the bearing surfaces for the axles is huge. If you thin those down to reduce the contact area it will help a lot.
        >
        > I believe this is somewhere on somebody's web site. Not mine yet. Also people have given thought of how to mount freight truck wheelsets in the sideframes.
        >
        > Thinning the journals is fairly easy and makes a great difference. Don Fedjur showed me one so modified.
        >
        > Regards, Greg
      • GLENN
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2010
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mark2playz" <mark.markham@...> wrote:

          > Greg,
          > This makes a lot of sense. When I get back home I'll have to pull the unit apart and give this a try.
          >
          > Thanks
          > mark
          >

          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "trainssd" <greg@> wrote:
          > >
          > > The MT dummy B units have an incredible amount of drag. This is because instead of free-rolling trucks, what is there is a de-powered unit. If you pull it apart, you will see that the bearing surfaces for the axles is huge. If you thin those down to reduce the contact area it will help a lot.
          > >
          > > I believe this is somewhere on somebody's web site. Not mine yet. Also people have given thought of how to mount freight truck wheelsets in the sideframes.
          > >
          > > Thinning the journals is fairly easy and makes a great difference. Don Fedjur showed me one so modified.
          > >
          > > Regards, Greg

          With the F7 now OOP your only choice is to reduce the drag or get lucky on *bay & get another powered A unit & swap shells if you need to match roadnames.
        • mark2playz
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2010
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "GLENN" <glennwoodle@...> wrote:
            > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "trainssd" <greg@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > The MT dummy B units have an incredible amount of drag. This is because instead of free-rolling trucks, what is there is a de-powered unit. If you pull it apart, you will see that the bearing surfaces for the axles is huge. If you thin those down to reduce the contact area it will help a lot.
            > > >
            > > > Thinning the journals is fairly easy and makes a great difference. Don Fedjur showed me one so modified.
            > > >
            > > > Regards, Greg
            > >
            > With the F7 now OOP your only choice is to reduce the drag or get lucky on *bay & get another powered A unit & swap shells if you need to match roadnames.

            My F7 is so OOP the part # is 12006! Actually, I've lucked out and got a powered F7, I'll just have to install Marklin couplers. I'll still try the axle fix on the dummy.

            Mark