Pushing an F7 dummy

  • mark2playz
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
      The recent 'motor in the loco or tender' thread brought to mind a problem I've had. Running an old (marklin couplers) MTL F7A-A consist where one is a dummy, if the dummy is being pushed it tends to derail. I've played with the dummy's weight a bit which fixes things for awhile, but I haven't been able to fix it. Anyone experience the same thing? Any suggestions?

      mark
    • Arnim v. Herff
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2010
        Am Sonntag, 3. Oktober 2010 02:44:08 schrieb mark2playz:
        > MTL F7A-A consist where one is
        > a dummy, if the dummy is being pushed

        > Anyone experience the same thing? Any suggestions?

        Sorry no knowledge about this MTL-models. But if this problems would be
        happened with Märklins F7, I would suggest to uprgrade the dummy to a full
        motorized model with spare-parts. Below the shell all Märklin F7 A and B are
        the same. Some full fitted and the dummies without motor and PCB.
        Maybe this is possible and true with MTLs too.

        Greetings Arnim
      • mark2playz
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2010
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Arnim v. Herff" <arnimvherff@...> wrote:
          > Sorry no knowledge about this MTL-models. But if this problems would be
          > happened with Märklins F7, I would suggest to uprgrade the dummy to a full
          > motorized model with spare-parts. Below the shell all Märklin F7 A and B are
          > the same. Some full fitted and the dummies without motor and PCB.
          > Maybe this is possible and true with MTLs too.
          >
          > Greetings Arnim

          Thanks for the Marklin F7B info. It actually sounds like a good idea for my F7Bs...as long as the spare parts aren't too expensive. I'm not aware of any MTL spare parts to upgrade my loco.
          Your comments have given me another thought: don't Marklin A-A, A-B and A-B-A consists all use a tie bar instead of couplers? I know my 88606 does. Perhaps this is a coupler issue?

          Mark
        • trainssd
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2010
            I'm far from an expert, but a good reader, ha ha.

            The MT dummy B units have an incredible amount of drag. This is because instead of free-rolling trucks, what is there is a de-powered unit. If you pull it apart, you will see that the bearing surfaces for the axles is huge. If you thin those down to reduce the contact area it will help a lot.

            I believe this is somewhere on somebody's web site. Not mine yet. Also people have given thought of how to mount freight truck wheelsets in the sideframes.

            Thinning the journals is fairly easy and makes a great difference. Don Fedjur showed me one so modified.

            Regards, Greg

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mark2playz" <mark.markham@...> wrote:

            > The recent 'motor in the loco or tender' thread brought to mind a problem I've had. Running an old (marklin couplers) MTL F7A-A consist where one is a dummy, if the dummy is being pushed it tends to derail. I've played with the dummy's weight a bit which fixes things for awhile, but I haven't been able to fix it. Anyone experience the same thing? Any suggestions?
            >
            > mark

          • mark2playz
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2010
              Greg,
              This makes a lot of sense. When I get back home I'll have to pull the unit apart and give this a try.

              Thanks
              mark

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "trainssd" <greg@...> wrote:

              > The MT dummy B units have an incredible amount of drag. This is because instead of free-rolling trucks, what is there is a de-powered unit. If you pull it apart, you will see that the bearing surfaces for the axles is huge. If you thin those down to reduce the contact area it will help a lot.
              >
              > I believe this is somewhere on somebody's web site. Not mine yet. Also people have given thought of how to mount freight truck wheelsets in the sideframes.
              >
              > Thinning the journals is fairly easy and makes a great difference. Don Fedjur showed me one so modified.
              >
              > Regards, Greg
            • GLENN
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 5, 2010
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mark2playz" <mark.markham@...> wrote:

                > Greg,
                > This makes a lot of sense. When I get back home I'll have to pull the unit apart and give this a try.
                >
                > Thanks
                > mark
                >

                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "trainssd" <greg@> wrote:
                > >
                > > The MT dummy B units have an incredible amount of drag. This is because instead of free-rolling trucks, what is there is a de-powered unit. If you pull it apart, you will see that the bearing surfaces for the axles is huge. If you thin those down to reduce the contact area it will help a lot.
                > >
                > > I believe this is somewhere on somebody's web site. Not mine yet. Also people have given thought of how to mount freight truck wheelsets in the sideframes.
                > >
                > > Thinning the journals is fairly easy and makes a great difference. Don Fedjur showed me one so modified.
                > >
                > > Regards, Greg

                With the F7 now OOP your only choice is to reduce the drag or get lucky on *bay & get another powered A unit & swap shells if you need to match roadnames.
              • mark2playz
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 5, 2010
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "GLENN" <glennwoodle@...> wrote:
                  > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "trainssd" <greg@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > The MT dummy B units have an incredible amount of drag. This is because instead of free-rolling trucks, what is there is a de-powered unit. If you pull it apart, you will see that the bearing surfaces for the axles is huge. If you thin those down to reduce the contact area it will help a lot.
                  > > >
                  > > > Thinning the journals is fairly easy and makes a great difference. Don Fedjur showed me one so modified.
                  > > >
                  > > > Regards, Greg
                  > >
                  > With the F7 now OOP your only choice is to reduce the drag or get lucky on *bay & get another powered A unit & swap shells if you need to match roadnames.

                  My F7 is so OOP the part # is 12006! Actually, I've lucked out and got a powered F7, I'll just have to install Marklin couplers. I'll still try the axle fix on the dummy.

                  Mark