Re: [Z_Scale] A little history

  • Tomas Dickinson
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 30, 2010
      i wouldnt make fun of the APTE, it is one of the greatest of the not so
      greats....

      In gest, tomas.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 4, 2010
        Hi Tomas,

        I wasn't really making fun of the APTE as it was the forerunner to the Pendilino trains useed by Virgin Trains that are nice and smooth running.

        Like the Ford Capri and my favourite sports car the beautiful E-Type Jaguar- a little ahead of it's time when technology wasn't quite there:-)

        Kind RegardZ

        Melissa
        UK

        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 7, 2010
          Hi Alan,

          Fabulous thanks for the UK T gauge link. Parts, chassis and even a UK brass
          loco kit - wow! I wish someone would sell parts like that for Z Scale for
          scratch and kit building rather than having to buy a whole new / second hand
          loco and chop it up.

          If as with any other scale manufacturers brought out etched super detailing
          kits in Z then we could have wonderful more to scale steam connecting rods
          and details. I see BLMA do super detailing for USA diesel locos and
          MicronArt do some ladders and brake wheels for wagons.

          As the Japanese being so dextrous with tiny weeny technology have brought
          out T Scale I can see them doing more in Z Scale too.

          Nano technology will break new boundries in tiny models eventually. Look
          what Willard White can do in the eye of a needle - truly stunning but
          totally impractical unless you have a mega expensive microscope to view.

          Overall Z scale still has better scale looking models than much UK N and OO
          scale. Modelling also in British N Scale and O Scale and an occasional
          dabble in OO scale - standards between manufacturers are so variable. I like
          to super detail proprietery, kitbash and scratchbuild to get what I want but
          I'm not a rivet counter more like art perspective if it looks right it is
          right.

          Kind RegardZ

          Melissa
          UK

          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 7, 2010
            > kits in Z then we could have wonderful more to scale steam connecting rods
            > and details. I see BLMA do super detailing for USA diesel locos and

            You can make stainless steel rods easily enough - various companies like
            PPD will do etching for people on a small scale. For fine crankpins and
            the like the 2mm Scale Association ones are about the finest I know of in
            the UK but sold to members only.

            > As the Japanese being so dextrous with tiny weeny technology have brought
            > out T Scale I can see them doing more in Z Scale too.

            T is extremely crude in terms of rail and wheel standards, physics pretty
            much demands it. Also no steamers not likely to be any for a while -
            although I'd love to be proven wrong.

            > Overall Z scale still has better scale looking models than much UK N and OO
            > scale.

            Most of my work is in N doing things like detailing work. The modern UK N
            gauge is generally within a whisker of perfect scale and vastly superior
            to any Z I've seen where certain vendors seem to have trouble even getting
            the trucks the right length or in another vendors case in the right place.

            So as a ruler wielding, photo analysing, running around with a tape
            measure and rivet counting modeller - I'd disagree - although I'm not
            sure it matters vastly providing you are careful with the trackwork. At
            human viewing (as opposed to digicam from six inches) Z done nicely
            creates wonderful 'train in landscape' vistas in very small spaces.

            T track on the other hand is really hard to hide because of the relative
            coarseness. It's great narrow gauge track but hard to use for its
            intended purpose.

            Alan
          • mark2playz
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 7, 2010
              Alan,
              After seeing the MTL operation in Oregon, western labor doesn't have to be expensive labor. I was amazed at amount of quality manufacturing they do in-house while still keeping prices low. I think the costs are determined more by smart management than cheap labor.
              I agree that I don't mind paying for a reasonable mark-up for western labor costs...the job I save just might be my own!

              Mark

              > > On another topic about the prices for N scale vs Z scale,
              > > there is another reason Z equipment can be slightly higher:
              > > Engineering and assembly labor.
              >
              > And also the fact a lot of that labour is done in Western countries at
              > higher cost. Personally that makes me somewhat happier even if my bank
              > manager disagrees.
              >
              > And with the strikes in China, rapid wage rises and the pending trade war
              > with the USA the pricing margin may well narrow quite a bit.
              >
              > Alan

            • mark2playz
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 7, 2010
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...> wrote:
                > I'd like the job in the MTL factory assembling all the tiny components,
                > after working with assembling Suface Mount Devices (SMD / SMT) electronics Z
                > scale is big - so very relaxing:-)
                Hi Melissa,

                I've had the opportunity to watch the ladies at MTL assembling the couplers (I think there is a video on youtube from the Z scale convention). Spend an afternoon doing that and I think you'd go running back to SMD.

                Mark
              • Melissa Cull
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 8, 2010
                  Hi Mark,

                  I also used to do very tiny fiddly engineering and electronic assembly work
                  before SMD work. As long as you do varied batches of work then its not too
                  monotonous and is quite theraputic. Unlike working with research computers
                  all day on clinical auditing databases. Developing databases is fine, data
                  entry is mind numbing - give me practical any day.

                  If MTL or Marklin had a UK manufacturing place or UK out working then I'd be
                  applying for a job faster than a steaming train:-)

                  Kind RegardZ

                  Melissa
                  UK

                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 8, 2010
                    Hi Alan,

                    I've seen the 2mm scale Association items at exhibitions very nice. I was
                    going to go down that route until I found Z Scale.

                    I can see T scale is crude for it's scale but should make reasonable Narrow
                    Gauge in Z scale or even as a model garden train O scale. Can always put
                    finer wheels on etc.

                    I only rivet count in O scale or above as you can really see them in that
                    scale, especially on my scratchbuilt Sentinal Steam Shunter I'm building in
                    nickel silver and brass- real thing looks like a chain driven riveted metal
                    shed on wheels:-)

                    In smaller scales as with larger I measure thrice, cut once and like to be
                    as accurate as my eyesight allows.

                    Kind RegardZ

                    Melissa
                    UK

                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 8, 2010
                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...> wrote:

                      > ...If MTL or Marklin had a UK manufacturing place or UK out working then I'd be
                      > applying for a job faster than a steaming train:-)
                      >
                      > Kind RegardZ
                      >
                      > Melissa
                      > UK

                      Actually, I think you would. Having had the opportunity to visit the MTL factory, I had some thoughts of putting in a job application myself. Many of the techniques they use today, I used in IC manufacturing in the 90s.

                      Mark