Re: [Z_Scale] Motor in the Loco or Tender?

  • Alan Cox
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2010
      On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 13:50:44 +0100
      "Bob Knee" <bob@...> wrote:

      > When Marklin of Germany introduced Z scale it probably wanted to stick to the prototype as far as possible,

      Sorry I nearly spilled my drink at that. Z is certainly designed in a way
      that reflects German toy train traditions (robust, reliable, lots of
      "operational" focus), but prototypical isn't one of them, To be fair many
      of the models were introduced over 25 years ago and haven't really been
      upgraded visually.

      MTL have tackled some of this but not all - the couplers and running
      are way superior, the trucks are better than Märklin but not quite right,
      and they still use the very thick crude rail that tends to show up the
      worst of Z. Some folks do make their own track using code 30 rail and
      similar but there isn't anything very fine in RTR Z.

      > However, I remember the hue and cry that developed a couple of years ago when people became suspicious that certain Marklin > Z products were being made in China.

      Märklin produce some of their stuff in China I've no idea how much now
      but from what was said about the production processes still being used in
      Germany I imagine most of it moved as soon as it got taken over. It's hard
      to tell because if stuff is mostly made in China and gets final assembly
      in the EU the origin on the box doesn't tell the whole story. China is
      like anywhere else - pay a decent price and you get quality (see some of
      the Chinese brass models), pay peanuts you get monkeys.

      > Hornby in the UK still have their R&D and design in the UK, but have outsourced the actual manufacture to China. Same goes for Bachmann.

      Bachmann is a brand of Kader who are a Chinese (Hong Kong) company. No
      outsourcing involved - instead they happen to outsource some of their
      design to the USA and Europe. Amsuingly Kader also do the production of
      Hornby (via the former Sander Kan business they bought off some US vulture
      capitalists)

      Alan