Motor in the Loco or Tender?

  • Bob Knee
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2010
      When Marklin of Germany introduced Z scale it probably wanted to stick to the prototype as far as possible, the Germans being sticklers for being correct in every way and the tiniest detail. This meant that Marklin Z scale products always seemed to be, and still are, very expensive.

      Other manufacturers in other scales have tried both the motor in the loco and tender. Even those that persevered with tender drive for many years have now changed to loco drive.

      I'm sure Marklin could produce models cheaper in all the scales they offer if they moved production to the far east. However, I remember the hue and cry that developed a couple of years ago when people became suspicious that certain Marklin Z products were being made in China.

      You can't have it all ways. To be honest, I'm not bothered where the Marklin product is manufactured, so long as it has the German design and detail at a price that is fair and affordable for the finished product.

      Hornby in the UK still have their R&D and design in the UK, but have outsourced the actual manufacture to China. Same goes for Bachmann. The quality of the models are now the best ever and the prices affordable.

    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2010
        On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 13:50:44 +0100
        "Bob Knee" <bob@...> wrote:

        > When Marklin of Germany introduced Z scale it probably wanted to stick to the prototype as far as possible,

        Sorry I nearly spilled my drink at that. Z is certainly designed in a way
        that reflects German toy train traditions (robust, reliable, lots of
        "operational" focus), but prototypical isn't one of them, To be fair many
        of the models were introduced over 25 years ago and haven't really been
        upgraded visually.

        MTL have tackled some of this but not all - the couplers and running
        are way superior, the trucks are better than Märklin but not quite right,
        and they still use the very thick crude rail that tends to show up the
        worst of Z. Some folks do make their own track using code 30 rail and
        similar but there isn't anything very fine in RTR Z.

        > However, I remember the hue and cry that developed a couple of years ago when people became suspicious that certain Marklin > Z products were being made in China.

        Märklin produce some of their stuff in China I've no idea how much now
        but from what was said about the production processes still being used in
        Germany I imagine most of it moved as soon as it got taken over. It's hard
        to tell because if stuff is mostly made in China and gets final assembly
        in the EU the origin on the box doesn't tell the whole story. China is
        like anywhere else - pay a decent price and you get quality (see some of
        the Chinese brass models), pay peanuts you get monkeys.

        > Hornby in the UK still have their R&D and design in the UK, but have outsourced the actual manufacture to China. Same goes for Bachmann.

        Bachmann is a brand of Kader who are a Chinese (Hong Kong) company. No
        outsourcing involved - instead they happen to outsource some of their
        design to the USA and Europe. Amsuingly Kader also do the production of
        Hornby (via the former Sander Kan business they bought off some US vulture
        capitalists)

        Alan