Re: [Z_Scale] A little history

  • Tomas Dickinson
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 30, 2010
      i wouldnt make fun of the APTE, it is one of the greatest of the not so
      greats....

      In gest, tomas.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 2, 2010
        I can only speak from my grandson's experience with motorized Thomas
        the Tank Engine (actually, it was Emily that caused the problems) where
        the tenders pushed the engines off the track. I supposed if Emily was
        weighted enough, it wouldn't have jumped the tracks, but it would have
        made a pretty lethal preschool weapon.

        - Rick Saviano

        On 10/2/2010 7:54 AM, Alan Cox wrote:

        > On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 13:22:53 +0100 (BST)
        > de Champeaux Dominique<ddechamp71@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Joining my voice with Garth's, I should add I'm a little bit surprised that most Z scale manufacturers don't consider powering the tender rather than the loco itself.
        > It's been tried with varying success in other scales.

      • Melissa Cull
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 4, 2010
          Hi Tomas,

          I wasn't really making fun of the APTE as it was the forerunner to the Pendilino trains useed by Virgin Trains that are nice and smooth running.

          Like the Ford Capri and my favourite sports car the beautiful E-Type Jaguar- a little ahead of it's time when technology wasn't quite there:-)

          Kind RegardZ

          Melissa
          UK

          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 7, 2010
            Hi Alan,

            Fabulous thanks for the UK T gauge link. Parts, chassis and even a UK brass
            loco kit - wow! I wish someone would sell parts like that for Z Scale for
            scratch and kit building rather than having to buy a whole new / second hand
            loco and chop it up.

            If as with any other scale manufacturers brought out etched super detailing
            kits in Z then we could have wonderful more to scale steam connecting rods
            and details. I see BLMA do super detailing for USA diesel locos and
            MicronArt do some ladders and brake wheels for wagons.

            As the Japanese being so dextrous with tiny weeny technology have brought
            out T Scale I can see them doing more in Z Scale too.

            Nano technology will break new boundries in tiny models eventually. Look
            what Willard White can do in the eye of a needle - truly stunning but
            totally impractical unless you have a mega expensive microscope to view.

            Overall Z scale still has better scale looking models than much UK N and OO
            scale. Modelling also in British N Scale and O Scale and an occasional
            dabble in OO scale - standards between manufacturers are so variable. I like
            to super detail proprietery, kitbash and scratchbuild to get what I want but
            I'm not a rivet counter more like art perspective if it looks right it is
            right.

            Kind RegardZ

            Melissa
            UK

            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 7, 2010
              > kits in Z then we could have wonderful more to scale steam connecting rods
              > and details. I see BLMA do super detailing for USA diesel locos and

              You can make stainless steel rods easily enough - various companies like
              PPD will do etching for people on a small scale. For fine crankpins and
              the like the 2mm Scale Association ones are about the finest I know of in
              the UK but sold to members only.

              > As the Japanese being so dextrous with tiny weeny technology have brought
              > out T Scale I can see them doing more in Z Scale too.

              T is extremely crude in terms of rail and wheel standards, physics pretty
              much demands it. Also no steamers not likely to be any for a while -
              although I'd love to be proven wrong.

              > Overall Z scale still has better scale looking models than much UK N and OO
              > scale.

              Most of my work is in N doing things like detailing work. The modern UK N
              gauge is generally within a whisker of perfect scale and vastly superior
              to any Z I've seen where certain vendors seem to have trouble even getting
              the trucks the right length or in another vendors case in the right place.

              So as a ruler wielding, photo analysing, running around with a tape
              measure and rivet counting modeller - I'd disagree - although I'm not
              sure it matters vastly providing you are careful with the trackwork. At
              human viewing (as opposed to digicam from six inches) Z done nicely
              creates wonderful 'train in landscape' vistas in very small spaces.

              T track on the other hand is really hard to hide because of the relative
              coarseness. It's great narrow gauge track but hard to use for its
              intended purpose.

              Alan
            • mark2playz
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 7, 2010
                Alan,
                After seeing the MTL operation in Oregon, western labor doesn't have to be expensive labor. I was amazed at amount of quality manufacturing they do in-house while still keeping prices low. I think the costs are determined more by smart management than cheap labor.
                I agree that I don't mind paying for a reasonable mark-up for western labor costs...the job I save just might be my own!

                Mark

                > > On another topic about the prices for N scale vs Z scale,
                > > there is another reason Z equipment can be slightly higher:
                > > Engineering and assembly labor.
                >
                > And also the fact a lot of that labour is done in Western countries at
                > higher cost. Personally that makes me somewhat happier even if my bank
                > manager disagrees.
                >
                > And with the strikes in China, rapid wage rises and the pending trade war
                > with the USA the pricing margin may well narrow quite a bit.
                >
                > Alan

              • mark2playz
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 7, 2010
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...> wrote:
                  > I'd like the job in the MTL factory assembling all the tiny components,
                  > after working with assembling Suface Mount Devices (SMD / SMT) electronics Z
                  > scale is big - so very relaxing:-)
                  Hi Melissa,

                  I've had the opportunity to watch the ladies at MTL assembling the couplers (I think there is a video on youtube from the Z scale convention). Spend an afternoon doing that and I think you'd go running back to SMD.

                  Mark
                • Melissa Cull
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 8, 2010
                    Hi Mark,

                    I also used to do very tiny fiddly engineering and electronic assembly work
                    before SMD work. As long as you do varied batches of work then its not too
                    monotonous and is quite theraputic. Unlike working with research computers
                    all day on clinical auditing databases. Developing databases is fine, data
                    entry is mind numbing - give me practical any day.

                    If MTL or Marklin had a UK manufacturing place or UK out working then I'd be
                    applying for a job faster than a steaming train:-)

                    Kind RegardZ

                    Melissa
                    UK

                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 8, 2010
                      Hi Alan,

                      I've seen the 2mm scale Association items at exhibitions very nice. I was
                      going to go down that route until I found Z Scale.

                      I can see T scale is crude for it's scale but should make reasonable Narrow
                      Gauge in Z scale or even as a model garden train O scale. Can always put
                      finer wheels on etc.

                      I only rivet count in O scale or above as you can really see them in that
                      scale, especially on my scratchbuilt Sentinal Steam Shunter I'm building in
                      nickel silver and brass- real thing looks like a chain driven riveted metal
                      shed on wheels:-)

                      In smaller scales as with larger I measure thrice, cut once and like to be
                      as accurate as my eyesight allows.

                      Kind RegardZ

                      Melissa
                      UK

                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 8, 2010
                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...> wrote:

                        > ...If MTL or Marklin had a UK manufacturing place or UK out working then I'd be
                        > applying for a job faster than a steaming train:-)
                        >
                        > Kind RegardZ
                        >
                        > Melissa
                        > UK

                        Actually, I think you would. Having had the opportunity to visit the MTL factory, I had some thoughts of putting in a job application myself. Many of the techniques they use today, I used in IC manufacturing in the 90s.

                        Mark