Re: [Z_Scale] A little history

  • Tomas Dickinson
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 30, 2010
      i wouldnt make fun of the APTE, it is one of the greatest of the not so
      greats....

      In gest, tomas.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 1, 2010
        Hi Arnim,

        Dr Andreas Scheibe makes some great locomotives particularly the Glaskasten.

        I was hoping T gauge would release chassis or even steam locos. Any ideas on cost?

        Hope the T gauge chassis will be available in UK as that does open up some definite posibilities for some very Narrow Gauge Z Scale.

        ThankZ

        Kind RegardZ

        Melissa
        UK

        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 1, 2010
          On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 08:23:15 +0100
          "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...> wrote:

          > Hi Arnim,
          >
          > Dr Andreas Scheibe makes some great locomotives particularly the Glaskasten.
          >
          > I was hoping T gauge would release chassis or even steam locos. Any ideas on cost?
          >
          > Hope the T gauge chassis will be available in UK as that does open up some definite posibilities for some very Narrow Gauge Z Scale.

          See www.tgauge.co.uk

          They are UK based and sell all the chassis and parts including bogies etc
          for hacking up your own stuff. Note that for standard gauge the scale
          should be 1:480 and some people use it for that - so its even smaller than
          you might think - just under half Z.

          I don't hold out much hope for steam in Z with current technology. The
          motors are too big for almost any steam, but a bigger problem would be
          the connecting rods and valve gear. In N doing them roughly
          prototypically is on the limit of acceptable robustness, in Z most of
          them are very oversize, and in T you'd probably need materials out of a
          NASA lab !

          I'm surprised we've not seen any US style T stuff yet - the big bogie
          locos, and long bogie wagons are well suited to it.

          Alan
        • Garth
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 1, 2010

            > snip
            > I don't hold out much hope for steam in Z with current technology. The
            > motors are too big for almost any steam, but a bigger problem would be
            > the connecting rods and valve gear. In N doing them roughly
            > prototypically is on the limit of acceptable robustness, in Z most of
            > them are very oversize, snip
            >
            > Alan

            Alan

            Have you seen the Tenshodo D51 Mikado in Z?
            and there is a C62 Hudson on its way as well.

            cheerz Garth
          • Alan Cox
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 1, 2010
              > Have you seen the Tenshodo D51 Mikado in Z?

              Yes - I think it proves the point quite nicely. It looks ok at a distance
              and its a marvellous bit of engineering but the crankpins are huge versus
              scale and the rodding looks way to heavy.

              Steam in T would be half the size again. At that point the smallest
              crankpins you can assemble commercially viably are about the size of the
              loco wheels !
            • reynard wellman
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 1, 2010
                Hi Garth,
                I agree, the Tenshodo locomotives are superb given that
                they are also affordable Z scale steam locomotives.

                Over the years I have received photos of some of
                our kits that have been super-detailed by very skilled
                customers, who have won "Best In Show" at train shows.
                These folks use Sherline mills and lathes and often
                "found" materials to add even more realism to our models.
                The additional work requires patience, skill and weeks
                of time to perfect. If someone wants to see actual "to scale"
                drive rods and pins, it can be done but they should
                expect to spend a lot of time on each modification
                or expect to pay many more bucks for someone else
                to do the work for them.

                regardZ,
                Reynard
                http://www.micronart.com
                On Oct 1, 2010, at 7:34 AM, Garth wrote:

                > EDITED
                > >
                > > Alan
                > >

                > Alan
                >
                > Have you seen the Tenshodo D51 Mikado in Z?
                > and there is a C62 Hudson on its way as well.
                >
                > cheerz Garth

              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 2, 2010
                  Joining my voice with Garth's, I should add I'm a little bit surprised that most Z scale manufacturers don't consider powering the tender rather than the loco itself. Let's face it: it's quite rare for a steamer to move without its tender, if ever, and if we consider north american prototype many steamers were matched with a pretty big tender, maybe as tall as a F7 diesel loco. Starting from there it would be easy to power the tender shouldn't be?

                  Dom

                  > I don't hold out much hope for steam in Z with current technology. The
                  > motors are too big for almost any steam, but a bigger problem would be
                  > the connecting rods and valve gear. In N doing them roughly
                  > prototypically is on the limit of acceptable robustness, in Z most of
                  > them are very oversize, snip
                  >
                  > Alan

                  Alan

                  Have you seen the Tenshodo D51 Mikado in Z?
                  and there is a C62 Hudson on its way as well.

                  cheerz Garth

                • Rick Saviano
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 2, 2010
                    I can only speak from my grandson's experience with motorized Thomas
                    the Tank Engine (actually, it was Emily that caused the problems) where
                    the tenders pushed the engines off the track. I supposed if Emily was
                    weighted enough, it wouldn't have jumped the tracks, but it would have
                    made a pretty lethal preschool weapon.

                    - Rick Saviano

                    On 10/2/2010 7:54 AM, Alan Cox wrote:

                    > On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 13:22:53 +0100 (BST)
                    > de Champeaux Dominique<ddechamp71@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Joining my voice with Garth's, I should add I'm a little bit surprised that most Z scale manufacturers don't consider powering the tender rather than the loco itself.
                    > It's been tried with varying success in other scales.

                  • Alan Cox
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 2, 2010
                      On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 13:22:53 +0100 (BST)
                      de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...> wrote:

                      > Joining my voice with Garth's, I should add I'm a little bit surprised that most Z scale manufacturers don't consider powering the tender rather than the loco itself. Let's face it: it's quite rare for a steamer to move without its tender, if ever, and if we consider north american prototype many steamers were matched with a pretty big tender, maybe as tall as a F7 diesel loco. Starting from there it would be easy to power the tender shouldn't be?

                      It's been tried with varying success in other scales. The latest Bachmann
                      N gauge UK outline models use a tender drive but this requires the
                      locomotive itself is well weighted, extremely free wheeling, the wheels
                      are almost perfectly round and the quartering right - otherwise the
                      locomotive tends to skid down the track which looks seriously silly.

                      Another approach that would also fit Z and is used is to put the motor in
                      the tender and a drive shaft from it into the locomotive to the gearing
                      and wheels. That lets you use a bigger motor (or flywheel), and avoids
                      the problems with skidding while allowing you to put a lot of weight over
                      the drive axles.

                      Not yet seen anything that drives both.

                      For custom stuff there are other tricks one of which is to power small
                      locomotives with a tiny micromotor so it's not really able to haul much
                      but itself (and tender if relevant) around but to hide a decent motor in
                      a passenger coach or wagon. It can then run around trains, do a little
                      shunting and apparently haul large trains, the latter work really being
                      done by the hidden motor for the most part.
                    • Melissa Cull
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 4, 2010
                        Hi Tomas,

                        I wasn't really making fun of the APTE as it was the forerunner to the Pendilino trains useed by Virgin Trains that are nice and smooth running.

                        Like the Ford Capri and my favourite sports car the beautiful E-Type Jaguar- a little ahead of it's time when technology wasn't quite there:-)

                        Kind RegardZ

                        Melissa
                        UK

                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 7, 2010
                          Hi Alan,

                          Fabulous thanks for the UK T gauge link. Parts, chassis and even a UK brass
                          loco kit - wow! I wish someone would sell parts like that for Z Scale for
                          scratch and kit building rather than having to buy a whole new / second hand
                          loco and chop it up.

                          If as with any other scale manufacturers brought out etched super detailing
                          kits in Z then we could have wonderful more to scale steam connecting rods
                          and details. I see BLMA do super detailing for USA diesel locos and
                          MicronArt do some ladders and brake wheels for wagons.

                          As the Japanese being so dextrous with tiny weeny technology have brought
                          out T Scale I can see them doing more in Z Scale too.

                          Nano technology will break new boundries in tiny models eventually. Look
                          what Willard White can do in the eye of a needle - truly stunning but
                          totally impractical unless you have a mega expensive microscope to view.

                          Overall Z scale still has better scale looking models than much UK N and OO
                          scale. Modelling also in British N Scale and O Scale and an occasional
                          dabble in OO scale - standards between manufacturers are so variable. I like
                          to super detail proprietery, kitbash and scratchbuild to get what I want but
                          I'm not a rivet counter more like art perspective if it looks right it is
                          right.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 7, 2010
                            > kits in Z then we could have wonderful more to scale steam connecting rods
                            > and details. I see BLMA do super detailing for USA diesel locos and

                            You can make stainless steel rods easily enough - various companies like
                            PPD will do etching for people on a small scale. For fine crankpins and
                            the like the 2mm Scale Association ones are about the finest I know of in
                            the UK but sold to members only.

                            > As the Japanese being so dextrous with tiny weeny technology have brought
                            > out T Scale I can see them doing more in Z Scale too.

                            T is extremely crude in terms of rail and wheel standards, physics pretty
                            much demands it. Also no steamers not likely to be any for a while -
                            although I'd love to be proven wrong.

                            > Overall Z scale still has better scale looking models than much UK N and OO
                            > scale.

                            Most of my work is in N doing things like detailing work. The modern UK N
                            gauge is generally within a whisker of perfect scale and vastly superior
                            to any Z I've seen where certain vendors seem to have trouble even getting
                            the trucks the right length or in another vendors case in the right place.

                            So as a ruler wielding, photo analysing, running around with a tape
                            measure and rivet counting modeller - I'd disagree - although I'm not
                            sure it matters vastly providing you are careful with the trackwork. At
                            human viewing (as opposed to digicam from six inches) Z done nicely
                            creates wonderful 'train in landscape' vistas in very small spaces.

                            T track on the other hand is really hard to hide because of the relative
                            coarseness. It's great narrow gauge track but hard to use for its
                            intended purpose.

                            Alan
                          • mark2playz
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 7, 2010
                              Alan,
                              After seeing the MTL operation in Oregon, western labor doesn't have to be expensive labor. I was amazed at amount of quality manufacturing they do in-house while still keeping prices low. I think the costs are determined more by smart management than cheap labor.
                              I agree that I don't mind paying for a reasonable mark-up for western labor costs...the job I save just might be my own!

                              Mark

                              > > On another topic about the prices for N scale vs Z scale,
                              > > there is another reason Z equipment can be slightly higher:
                              > > Engineering and assembly labor.
                              >
                              > And also the fact a lot of that labour is done in Western countries at
                              > higher cost. Personally that makes me somewhat happier even if my bank
                              > manager disagrees.
                              >
                              > And with the strikes in China, rapid wage rises and the pending trade war
                              > with the USA the pricing margin may well narrow quite a bit.
                              >
                              > Alan

                            • mark2playz
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 7, 2010
                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...> wrote:
                                > I'd like the job in the MTL factory assembling all the tiny components,
                                > after working with assembling Suface Mount Devices (SMD / SMT) electronics Z
                                > scale is big - so very relaxing:-)
                                Hi Melissa,

                                I've had the opportunity to watch the ladies at MTL assembling the couplers (I think there is a video on youtube from the Z scale convention). Spend an afternoon doing that and I think you'd go running back to SMD.

                                Mark
                              • Melissa Cull
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 8, 2010
                                  Hi Mark,

                                  I also used to do very tiny fiddly engineering and electronic assembly work
                                  before SMD work. As long as you do varied batches of work then its not too
                                  monotonous and is quite theraputic. Unlike working with research computers
                                  all day on clinical auditing databases. Developing databases is fine, data
                                  entry is mind numbing - give me practical any day.

                                  If MTL or Marklin had a UK manufacturing place or UK out working then I'd be
                                  applying for a job faster than a steaming train:-)

                                  Kind RegardZ

                                  Melissa
                                  UK

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 8, 2010
                                    Hi Alan,

                                    I've seen the 2mm scale Association items at exhibitions very nice. I was
                                    going to go down that route until I found Z Scale.

                                    I can see T scale is crude for it's scale but should make reasonable Narrow
                                    Gauge in Z scale or even as a model garden train O scale. Can always put
                                    finer wheels on etc.

                                    I only rivet count in O scale or above as you can really see them in that
                                    scale, especially on my scratchbuilt Sentinal Steam Shunter I'm building in
                                    nickel silver and brass- real thing looks like a chain driven riveted metal
                                    shed on wheels:-)

                                    In smaller scales as with larger I measure thrice, cut once and like to be
                                    as accurate as my eyesight allows.

                                    Kind RegardZ

                                    Melissa
                                    UK

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 8, 2010
                                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...> wrote:

                                      > ...If MTL or Marklin had a UK manufacturing place or UK out working then I'd be
                                      > applying for a job faster than a steaming train:-)
                                      >
                                      > Kind RegardZ
                                      >
                                      > Melissa
                                      > UK

                                      Actually, I think you would. Having had the opportunity to visit the MTL factory, I had some thoughts of putting in a job application myself. Many of the techniques they use today, I used in IC manufacturing in the 90s.

                                      Mark