RE: DETERIORATION OF OPEN CELL FOAM

  • Malcolm Cleaveland
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2010
      On Thursday, Sept. 30, 2010, Champeaux Dominique said:
      > "... confirm there is no long term problem if the stuff is kept in a
      > reasonably cooled room?"

      Dom,

      Unfortunately, no. Keeping stuff in a cool place slows down the bad
      chemical reactions but does not stop them. So eventually, if the foam is
      going to degrade, it will happen. Now, if you kept them in the freezer,
      that might slow the reaction down enough so that the foam outlasts its
      owner. ;-)

      CheerZ,
      -- Malcolm Z
    • John Mui
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2010
        It seems to be the safest place for our trains is in the tracks. :D

        John

        > On Thursday, Sept. 30, 2010, Champeaux Dominique said:
        >> "... confirm there is no long term problem if the stuff is kept in a
        >> reasonably cooled room?"
        >
        > Dom,
        >
        > Unfortunately, no. Keeping stuff in a cool place slows down the bad
        > chemical reactions but does not stop them. So eventually, if the foam is
        > going to degrade, it will happen. Now, if you kept them in the freezer,
        > that might slow the reaction down enough so that the foam outlasts its
        > owner. ;-)
        >
        > CheerZ,
        > -- Malcolm Z

      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 30, 2010
          John,
          You are so biased, it's always about you putting trains on the tracks.......
          and preferably CSX trains. What gives? LOL

          Just teasing you for those who don't know, but then there is the Catzilla
          problem for some who own both cats and trains.

          So far I've been lucky with no cats trying to scale my mountains, but the
          day they do try, well, there will be a few lives lost if you know what I
          mean.....

          I'm still waiting for the day when Karin and I actually have our family room
          up stairs cleaned out and trains set up to run.

          And Malcolm's freezer option,.......I'm not so sure about that one.....
          wouldn't the miniature engineer and conductor freeze to death?

          So whether you store or run, let the Z continue.

          Loren

          It seems to be the safest place for our trains is in the tracks. :D

          John

        • FT. Dewey
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
            "but then there is the Catzilla
            problem for some who own both cats and train"

            Get the cats their own G scale trains to ride.      DEWEY

            _/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`