Rokuhan Switch Update

  • Garth Hamilton
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29 1:36 PM
      This has been cross posted, my apologies if you get more than once.

      I have seen the inside of the Rokuhan switch and while I can not
      provide pictures of it at present I can tell you it would be fairly
      easy to convert the power route to power everywhere if it were to
      arrive on our shores that way. It is DCC friendly in that the frog and
      points have an internal switch to provide power of the correct
      polarity to the frog and it is insulated from the rail running away
      from the frog. However, in discussion with Rokuhan I believe that the
      switch may vary well arrive here in North America as a power
      everywhere type to match the switches of Micro Trains, Marklin and
      others. It is a single coil type and the design is very ingenious. The
      coil is current limited so it is protected from burn out and there is
      no switching of the power to the switch motor inside the switch. So it
      looks to me as it held in place electrically with low current to the
      coil. People will have to be careful with this switch if they provide
      their own switch levers due to this coil design. At present the
      current limiting resistor is inside the modular plug that plugs into
      the Rokuhan Power Unit. The manual operator is located such that an
      under the table switch machine can be used to power this switch if
      desired.

      cheers
      Garth
    • Ell
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30 8:55 AM
        It would certainly be nice to have the option of power routing switches.

        Ell Geib

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hamilton <garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:

        SNIP
        > However, in discussion with Rokuhan I believe that the
        > switch may vary well arrive here in North America as a power
        > everywhere type to match the switches of Micro Trains, Marklin and
        > others.
        SNIP

        > cheers
        > Garth

      • Garth
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30 11:42 AM
          Hi Eli;

          Which ever version you get it will be easy to convert it to the other.

          cheerz Garth