dimmer programming

  • James
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2010
      Hi all:

      I knew it wouldn't be long before I started posting more questions.

      My locomotive has a TCS MZA4 decoder installed in it.

      My DCC cab controller is a Digitrax Zephyr, which I'm really have fun with.

      Tonight I worked out how to use button 4 to dim the headlight on my MTL GP35. Pretty cool.

      I was wondering though if it's possible to auto dim the headlight at low speeds and stopped and still have the ability to use button 4 to dim the headlight at will?

      I'm still reading the rules on headlight and ditchlight use and don't have them memorized yet so I'll likely be back with more questions.
    • Don Fedjur
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2010
        Go to TCSDCC.com.......you'll find the advanced settings and CV's. Use
        rule 17 for light dimming.

        Don Fedjur
        mobile phone; 760-861-5161

        Sent from my iPhone mobile office.

        On Sep 25, 2010, at 11:35 PM, "James" <jamesd@...> wrote:

        > Hi all:
        >
        > I knew it wouldn't be long before I started posting more questions.
        >
        > My locomotive has a TCS MZA4 decoder installed in it.
        >
        > My DCC cab controller is a Digitrax Zephyr, which I'm really have
        > fun with.
        >
        > Tonight I worked out how to use button 4 to dim the headlight on my
        > MTL GP35. Pretty cool.
        >
        > I was wondering though if it's possible to auto dim the headlight at
        > low speeds and stopped and still have the ability to use button 4 to
        > dim the headlight at will?
        >
        > I'm still reading the rules on headlight and ditchlight use and
        > don't have them memorized yet so I'll likely be back with more
        > questions.

      • trainssd
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27, 2010
          I tried to "capsulize" the TCS "manual" on my site:

          http://www.elmassian.com/trains-mainmenu-27/z-scale-mainmenu-108/z-dcc-m\
          ainmenu-131
          <http://www.elmassian.com/trains-mainmenu-27/z-scale-mainmenu-108/z-dcc-\
          mainmenu-131>

          I'm far from an expert on this decoder, but my understanding is that you
          can make the headlight dim or bright in forward and you can set the dim
          intensity. You can also enable it to be dim when stopped.

          There does not seem to be any setting for a speed threshold where the
          light goes from dim to bright. (In fact I have never seen that in a
          decoder, but I guess someone may have done it)

          Regards, Greg