Re: [z_scale] MicroTrains F-7 B unit dummys

  • Mr. W
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2001
      on 10/4/2001 4:51 AM, cadillac1949@... wrote:

      > Has anyone noticed that the Microtrain dummy units don't roll very
      > well? It looks like they just took the motors out and left in most of
      > the unnecessary gears etc from the powered units. They need better
      > bearings or whatever. Anyone come up with a f

      Yes, I came up with a fix which was finally produced after a few months of
      arguing that this was a significant problem (but I won't go into that). The
      fix is in the form of a small shim that is inserted inside the truck
      sideframes. This greatly reduces the friction on the wheels, allowing them
      to float freely. You can get a pair of these shims for each B-unit that you
      own by simply calling MT and asking for them. They're free (at least they
      were while I was still there). And all new B-units have the shims in them
      from the beginning.

      HTH

      Geoff
    • Greg Elmassian
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2001
        I just bought an ATSF blue and silver "B" unit... does that
        qualify as "new"? Rolls crummy...

        Greg

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2001
          on 10/5/2001 4:37 AM, Greg Elmassian at greg@... wrote:

          > I just bought an ATSF blue and silver "B" unit... does that
          > qualify as "new"? Rolls crummy...
          >
          > Greg

          Unfortunately, not necessarily. There are still a lot of "old" B-units in
          the pipeline. If you want to know if this one has the shims or not, look at
          the bottom of the trucks. There is a "window" in the center of the truck
          (it's there to provide clearance for the worm gear in the powered units).
          If there is a visible black bar going across the window inside the truck,
          then it has the shim in it. If you're not sure, you can carefully remove
          the truck side frames to check, as well.
          Now, I won't say that with the shim the B-units will roll as freely as,
          say, a box car. There is still a fair amount of friction involved with the
          way the wheels are mounted in. But a B-unit with shims will roll MUCH
          better than a B-unit without shims. (There wasn't sufficient justification
          to try to redesign the entire truck assembly, make new molds, etc, to make
          the B-units truly glide, though I would have like to.)

          Geoff