RE: STATUS OF ROBERT DRESSEL?

  • Malcolm Cleaveland
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 22, 2010
      On Tuesday, Sept. 21, 2010, Elizabeth Hayes (ehayes24@...) wrote:
      > sounds like he is in the same boat as Alan Borg?

      Elizabeth,

      Funny you should mention it, but Borg owes me stuff, too. But it's been
      so long, I'd forgotten about it. And written him off as a deadbeat.
      Anybody in the model RR community who does business with Borg now has been
      warned.

      I strongly suggest that no one do business with either Dressel or Borg,
      unless they get the goods up front and inspected carefully BEFORE payment.

      CheerZ,
      -- Malcolm Z
    • reynard wellman
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 22, 2010
        Hi Malcolm,
        This is what is great about the internet and email. I
        too have been hit by deadbeats who through one form
        of chicanery or the other, have behaved no better than
        a thief in the night. 99% of the time folks are honest but
        for those who are not, you deserve to be smeared from
        one end of the earth to another.

        Here's another to be warned about and added to our list:
        Richard Edward Mehr
        San Mateo, CA
        On Sep 22, 2010, at 10:09 AM, Malcolm Cleaveland wrote:

        > On Tuesday, Sept. 21, 2010, Elizabeth Hayes (ehayes24@...) wrote:
        > > sounds like he is in the same boat as Alan Borg?
        >
        > Elizabeth,
        >
        > Funny you should mention it, but Borg owes me stuff, too. But it's been
        > so long, I'd forgotten about it. And written him off as a deadbeat.
        > Anybody in the model RR community who does business with Borg now has been
        > warned.
        >
        > I strongly suggest that no one do business with either Dressel or Borg,
        > unless they get the goods up front and inspected carefully BEFORE payment.
        >
        > CheerZ,
        > -- Malcolm Z

      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 22, 2010
          Reynard,

          I have sometimes in the past thought about the potential harm one could do
          to a person's reputation by blabbing the offender's name on the internet....
          .in this case, the different forums. As a seller, we have the power to
          alert the world to those who don't play by the rules.

          Same goes for the buyer who gets way less than the dollar's worth of product
          that he paid his hard earned dollars for.

          And while I am all for the just desserts being served to the offenders, I am
          reminded of the wise advice to not throw stones if you live in glass houses.
          Or as the Bible says.....'consider the log in your own eye before you try
          to remove the splinter in someone else's eye.'

          I have to this point been fortunate and not had to put the 'wanted poster'
          up on the wall for all the world to see.

          Once I did have a customer who was way behind in payment and I had written
          several times asking him for payment. He was a repeat customer and I had
          trusted him to pay later as he requested, (not a wise business practice I
          admit). He had initially sent a personal check which ended up bouncing and
          then the waiting game began. He did send partial payment with a money order
          but then all communication ceased.

          I was just about ready to take my six shooter and nail his face to the wall,
          when I decided to write once more in a combination of rather stern, while
          still asking nicely, and reminding him of his honor bound duty to uphold our
          bargain sort of appeal.

          I was almost to the point of giving up and taking myself to the woodshed for
          being too trusting when he wrote to me and volunteered to send back all the
          product because he had experienced some very bad personal issues affect his
          life, (his wife had died)......how much worse can it get?

          He did send back everything I had forwarded to him so I lost very little in
          the end. I immediately assured him I would be glad to deal with him in the
          future providing he always paid by money order.

          End of story, but the point is that I have been a bit more cautious since,
          but to this day, I have not had one customer ever stiff me for a nickel.
          And that goes for my dental lab business. Oh, I admit, sometimes I wait
          longer to be paid than I would like, but I've been blessed with good
          upstanding customers and for that I'm thankful.

          I guess this is just a gentle reminder for all of us to be upright and
          honest in our dealings with each other. We can run and we can hide, but in
          the end..........the best bed partner is a clear conscience.

          Now you all go out and have a nice Z day.......ya hear?

          Loren

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 22, 2010
            Amen Loren!

            Everybody has ups and the ocasional down.

            Add to that, there is no sham in communication, if one has suddenly
            fallen on a hardship, all it takes is a little communication. Which is
            usually followed up with understanding and compromise.

            Don Fedjur

            Sent from my iPhone mobile office.

          • Malcolm Cleaveland
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 23, 2010
              Folks,

              Rob is right about how to conduct business. Lord knows, I have violated
              several of his rules, which I intend to print out and frame. Dressel has
              had more than two years to make this right, knows he owes me product or
              the money, and ignores my attempts at communication. I think that
              qualifies as "Intent to Cheat" me out of $600. An expensive lesson.
              Someone pointed out that he posted to a Yahoo forum as late as last June,
              so he hasn't died.

              CheerZ,
              -- Malcolm Z

              On Thu Sep 23 07:27:55 2010 robkluz wrote:
              > All,

              > This can be a touchy topic. I have seen my fair share of cheats come
              > through are Z scale family. Each time this happens, they take more away
              > then just the money or products they absconded with. The take away
              > trust.

              > It is too easy to think the person on the other end of the keyboard is
              > your friend, even though you never met them. But just use common
              > sense. Here are some rules:

              1: If it is too good to be true, it probably is.

              2: If someone comes on the forum new, and promises the world,
              run. This
              person won't be around long and likely will take your hopes and
              cash with him.

              3: NEVER pay in full for custom work and spec projects. If
              someone requires
              money for parts and materials, then that is one thing. Only
              agree to pay
              for the parts and materials, with payment in full upon receipt.

              4: Never blindly send someone merchandise without cleared
              payment up front.
              Make sure you have money in hand. If this individual refuses to
              do so, then
              end the deal.

              5: Send ALL items in a method you can track and insure. One of
              the biggest
              frauds in our hobby is mail order. The old I never received it
              game. There
              is a reason why we send items the way we do for the cost we
              charge. It is
              protection.

              6: Make sure you have a good address, phone number and email
              address. Make
              sure you validate especially phone. You will need this if you
              don't receive
              what was promised

              7: Document everything. If values are large enough, legal
              action can be
              taken and should be considered an option. Ztrack works with a
              collection agency
              for just reasons and will turn over matters to layers if need
              be. Consumers
              have the same option.

              8: Don't rush to out someone on the forum without giving them
              every
              opportunity to make right.

              9: When it comes to outing, this can be sticky. We have to be
              careful that
              liable is not presented. It keep it factual. I would encourage
              others who
              were burned by the individual to come forward. We do need to
              protect
              ourselves. But also, don't drag it on. If these individuals are
              active on the forums,
              put them on the spot. Otherwise, they will continue to act with
              impunity on
              unsuspecting Z scalers.

              10: Keep the door open. If the individual makes right, then let
              the forums
              know. This is just as important as getting the word out on
              cheats. Almost
              everyone deserves a 2nd chance.

              I hope everyone takes to heart this advice. It is sad when
              members of this
              community fail to follow through. But, we have to be smart and
              make sure we
              protect ourselves.

              Rob

              Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
              www.ztrack.com
              www.ztrackcenter.com
              www.ztrackresale.com
              6142 Northcliff Blvd
              Dublin OH 43016
              (614) 764-1703
            • Don Avila
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 23, 2010
                *99% of all problems of this type are resolved by communications between the
                two parties -- whether it be a mortgage, credit card company, Z or
                whatever. I had to deal with companies from one-man to mega-thousand
                employees. Communications ALWAYS worked in attempting to collect a bill and
                in 40 plus years I never lost a cent - except for one Z Scale member.

                ...don

                *

                --
                *...don a* *- Northern Ohio, USA*

              • John Mui
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 23, 2010
                  Don, what upsets me its the person who took my money and never deliver
                  anything is still being photograph in shows in the west. I wanted to keep it
                  to myself, but sometimes you have to let the air out.

                  John
> [...]
                  >> careful that
                  >> liable is not presented. It keep it factual. I would encourage
                  >> others who
                  >> were burned by the individual to come forward. We do need to
                  >> protect
                  >> ourselves. But also, don't drag it on. If these individuals are
                  >> active on the forums,
                  >> put them on the spot. Otherwise, they will continue to act with
                  >> impunity on
                  >> unsuspecting Z scalers.
                  >>
                  >> 10: Keep the door open. If the individual makes right, then let
                  >> the forums
                  >> know. This is just as important as getting the word out on
                  >> cheats. Almost
                  >> everyone deserves a 2nd chance.
                  >>
                  >> I hope everyone takes to heart this advice. It is sad when
                  >> members of this
                  >> community fail to follow through. But, we have to be smart and

                • Alan Cox
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 23, 2010
                    On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:13:43 -0400
                    "John Mui" <jmui@...> wrote:

                    > Don, what upsets me its the person who took my money and never deliver
                    > anything is still being photograph in shows in the west. I wanted to keep it
                    > to myself, but sometimes you have to let the air out.

                    Or walk up to him at a show shake his hand and ask very loudly for your
                    money back, possibly with a writ to serve if he says no...

                    'Talk softly and carry a big stick' as they say ;)

                    Alan
                  • Harald Thom-freudenreich
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 23, 2010
                      Folks,

                      speaking about Dressels and Borgs I need to add two other
                      names to this list:

                      Michael Donders Succasunna, NJ USA

                      and

                      Hans-Werner Timm Veltheim / Germany

                      Be carefully about these names and be even more carefull or decline
                      when they want to do business with you.

                      The odd thing is I made a first flawless deal with them but the second
                      deal
                      was fraud.

                      The total lost is less than USD 1000. This is less than 1% of my annual
                      turnover.
                      So it does not realy harm me significantly. This is the result of 14
                      years business
                      in Z-scale. But regardless what amount it is always angry to be
                      victimized by a
                      chaeter.

                      Harald

                      --
                      FREUDENREICH FEINWERKTECHNIK
                      Harald Thom-Freudenreich

                    • Elizabeth Hayes
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 23, 2010
                        The funny thing is that I do actually own an Alan Borg piece of rolling stock, it is a short centerflow hopper, kind of crude looking. I never got around to working on it, probably because he didn't provide all of the parts? I don't recall. Maybe it is the sample car that he used to attract other purchasers ? One of few he actually made?

                        To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                        From: mcleavel@...
                        Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 10:09:51 -0500
                        Subject: [Z_Scale] RE: STATUS OF ROBERT DRESSEL?

                        On Tuesday, Sept. 21, 2010, Elizabeth Hayes (ehayes24@...) wrote:
                        > sounds like he is in the same boat as Alan Borg?

                        Elizabeth,

                        Funny you should mention it, but Borg owes me stuff, too. But it's been
                        so long, I'd forgotten about it. And written him off as a deadbeat.
                        Anybody in the model RR community who does business with Borg now has been
                        warned.

                        I strongly suggest that no one do business with either Dressel or Borg,
                        unless they get the goods up front and inspected carefully BEFORE payment.

                        CheerZ,
                        -- Malcolm Z

                      • de Champeaux Dominique
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 24, 2010
                          > Don, what upsets me its the person who took my money and never deliver
                          > anything is still being photograph in shows in the west. I wanted to > keep it
                          > to myself, but sometimes you have to let the air out.
                          >
                          > John

                          I can understand that it's really upsetting. I've the same issue whith Borg who has been owing me $300 worth of stuff for 5 years and who appears to be still wandering in some Z scale forums...
                          Dom
                        • de Champeaux Dominique
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 24, 2010
                            > The funny thing is that I do actually own an Alan Borg
                            > piece of rolling stock, it is a short centerflow hopper,
                            > kind of crude looking.  I never got around to working
                            > on it, probably because he didn't provide all of the parts?
                            > I don't recall.  Maybe it is the sample car that he
                            > used to attract other purchasers ?  One of few he
                            > actually made?

                            Exactly the same for me. I still remember sending him a money order from inside the US where I was having a vacation with my wife. It was in spring 2005. I received at home (in France) that same crude hopper kit (long before the awesome AZL samples) which seemed a good basis for accurate kitbshing. That's why I ordered (and prepaid) a batch of 30 samples, that I'm still waiting (and something tells me that I've not finished to wait...).

                            Maybe he sent me (and you as well) that sample as a bait?

                            Dom
                          • william.fisher602@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 3, 2010
                              I Only had this happend to me once after that I would not order from him any more Bill

                              GOD BLESS you & keep you