makeing insulating Gap In marklin track.

  • randylils@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2001
      Hi,
      I am new to Z-Gauge. But an old hand at track in all other scales.
      I have not seen a source for plastic rail joiners in the Marklin
      catalog. Only the one insulated track section (8588). Other then
      carefull cutting using a cutting disk in a DREMAL to make a gap (like
      in HO). How does one create electrical gaps in the track? I would
      love to create a double track layout and isolate the two loops so I
      could run two trains at the same time. Yet still have some crossovers
      so I could switch trains.
      Randy Knaub
    • D. A. Karp
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2001
        Randy,

        What you want is Marklin 8954, which comes with 20 regular metal rail
        joiners and 10 insulated rail joiners.

        Note that the regular metal joiners are single pieces that connect one rail
        to one other rail; two are required to connect two pieces of track to
        one-another. The insulated rail joiners, on the other hand, are double
        pieces; only one plastic joiner is required to connect two pieces of
        track. If you only want to insulate one rail, the plastic insulating
        joiner can be cut in half.

        At 03:58 PM 10/4/2001 +0000, you wrote:
        >Hi,
        > I am new to Z-Gauge. But an old hand at track in all other scales.
        >I have not seen a source for plastic rail joiners in the Marklin
        >catalog. Only the one insulated track section (8588). Other then
        >carefull cutting using a cutting disk in a DREMAL to make a gap (like
        >in HO). How does one create electrical gaps in the track? I would
        >love to create a double track layout and isolate the two loops so I
        >could run two trains at the same time. Yet still have some crossovers
        >so I could switch trains.
        > Randy Knaub

        http://www.creativelement.com/z/
      • M. Gottschalch
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2001
          Hi Randy,

          There are available plastic rail joiners. You could use them at the
          switches.
          --
          Manfred
        • Greg Elmassian
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2001
            Marklin part number is 8954... 1 pack of insulated and regular joiners...
            just opened the pack tonight, looks like about 10 of each..

            Greg

          • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 8, 2001
              Dear Randy,

              I highly recommend to buy the Maerklin booklet 'Gleisanlagen-Buch' ('Layouts
              booklet' Art.-No. 0294). There you find also on page 20 some tips on plastic
              rail joiners for scale Z (Art.-No. 8954).

              Regards

              Dieter

              randylils@... schrieb:
              > Hi,
              > I am new to Z-Gauge. But an old hand at track in all other scales.
              > I have not seen a source for plastic rail joiners in the Marklin
              > catalog. Only the one insulated track section (8588). Other then
              > carefull cutting using a cutting disk in a DREMAL to make a gap (like
              > in HO). How does one create electrical gaps in the track? I would
              > love to create a double track layout and isolate the two loops so I
              > could run two trains at the same time. Yet still have some crossovers
              > so I could switch trains.
              > Randy Knaub

              Dieter W. Nolte
              E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...