Re: New to the list

  • pleahy@xxxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 1999
      John, I would be interested to hear how you make out with DCC and Z.
      I had though about trying it, but felt that the Digitrax system was too
      expensive of a gamble if it didn't work out.

      Pete

      At 12:09 AM 12/5/99 -0000, you wrote:
      >From: jjabour@...
      >
      >Hello
      >I just discovered this list the other day.
      >It looks interesting so I joined. I model both
      >HO and Z. I belong to the Digitrax Onelist also because
      >I'm into DCC. I have had my Z for about 2 years and I
      >have a small layout in a wood case that I built. It's
      >about 2' by 3 1/2'. I plan on making additional modules
      >the same size. I'm in the process of installing a DZ121
      >decoder in my F7 Diesel. For my steam engine I may have
      >to install the decoder in the tender. I have been reading
      >the archives and they contain alot of good stuff. I do
      >have some question, but I will first see if they have
      >already been answered.
      >Talk to you later
      >John Jabour
      >
      >>CraZy 'bout Zee!

    • tony
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 5, 1999
        hello there

        im in the uk and I have had fitted dz121 in to 5 z gauge locos now.... my
        layout is coming a long.. I have just about got the base boards finishes and
        will be track laying very soon

        Tony
        > John, I would be interested to hear how you make out with DCC and Z.
        > I had though about trying it, but felt that the Digitrax system was too
        > expensive of a gamble if it didn't work out.
        >
        > Pete
        >

        > At 12:09 AM 12/5/99 -0000, you wrote:
        > >From: jjabour@...
        > >
        > >Hello
        > >I just discovered this list the other day.
        > >It looks interesting so I joined. I model both
        > >HO and Z. I belong to the Digitrax Onelist also because
        > >I'm into DCC. I have had my Z for about 2 years and I
        > >have a small layout in a wood case that I built. It's
        > >about 2' by 3 1/2'. I plan on making additional modules
        > >the same size. I'm in the process of installing a DZ121
        > >decoder in my F7 Diesel. For my steam engine I may have
        > >to install the decoder in the tender. I have been reading
        > >the archives and they contain alot of good stuff. I do
        > >have some question, but I will first see if they have
        > >already been answered.
        > >Talk to you later
        > >John Jabour
        > >
        > >>CraZy 'bout Zee!
        > >

        > > CraZy 'bout Zee!

      • John Jabour
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 5, 1999
          Pete
          I'll keep you posted.
          I originally bought a Digitrax Big Boy system and then upgraded to
          the Chief. I will use the Big Boy on the Z layout. I do have some voltage
          concerns. I have to do a little more research.
          John

          > John, I would be interested to hear how you make out with DCC and Z.
          > I had though about trying it, but felt that the Digitrax system was too
          > expensive of a gamble if it didn't work out.
          >
          > Pete
          >

          > At 12:09 AM 12/5/99 -0000, you wrote:
          > >From: jjabour@...
          > >
          > >Hello
          > >I just discovered this list the other day.
          > >It looks interesting so I joined. I model both
          > >HO and Z. I belong to the Digitrax Onelist also because
          > >I'm into DCC. I have had my Z for about 2 years and I
          > >have a small layout in a wood case that I built. It's
          > >about 2' by 3 1/2'. I plan on making additional modules
          > >the same size. I'm in the process of installing a DZ121
          > >decoder in my F7 Diesel. For my steam engine I may have
          > >to install the decoder in the tender. I have been reading
          > >the archives and they contain alot of good stuff. I do
          > >have some question, but I will first see if they have
          > >already been answered.
          > >Talk to you later
          > >John Jabour
          > >
          > >>CraZy 'bout Zee!
          > >

          > > CraZy 'bout Zee!

        • John Jabour
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 5, 1999
            Tony
            Which engines did you put them in. Did you have to cut up the engines much?
            John
            > im in the uk and I have had fitted dz121 in to 5 z gauge locos now.... my
            > layout is coming a long.. I have just about got the base boards finishes
            and
            > will be track laying very soon
            >
            > Tony

          • tony
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 6, 1999
              yes a bit of surgery was required not to bad ... locos used were 88446 set
              ( 2 locos) 81413 set 81412 set 88447

              hope this helps ... I will be putting a web page up about the layout and how
              to fit a decoder soon

            • Nick Thompson
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 5, 2001
                Hi everyone,

                I just got back into model railroading after a break of a couple of
                decades. I'm planning on modelling german stuff between era
                III and V. I think that I want to keep this at the toy train level rather
                than being totally prototypically correct. So far I've constructed
                my baseboard (2'x4') and I've got all my track together. I'm having
                a bit of an issue with making a ramp to a bridge.

                What is a recommended gradient for Z inclines and declines
                (Marklin do seem to be light on technical reccomendations in
                their catalog)? Foe example if you use the incline piers what
                does the spacing need to be? I have a ramp, and a girder bridge
                crossing another track. Any suggestions for how to build this
                grtatefully received.

                I can post a track plan and pictures of my progress if there are
                other newbies out there who might be interested. I'd certainly be
                interested in comments on the layout of the track.

                All the best

                Nick Thompson