MicroTrains F-7 B unit dummys

  • cadillac1949@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2001
      Has anyone noticed that the Microtrain dummy units don't roll very
      well? It looks like they just took the motors out and left in most of
      the unnecessary gears etc from the powered units. They need better
      bearings or whatever. Anyone come up with a f
    • Greg Elmassian
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2001
        I just posted a similar thing a week ago...

        someone (I forgot) said that there are shims available
        to space the trucks away from the chassis and it helped..

        I have not researched this, it implied the shims were available
        from MT...

        Greg

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2001
          on 10/4/2001 4:51 AM, cadillac1949@... wrote:

          > Has anyone noticed that the Microtrain dummy units don't roll very
          > well? It looks like they just took the motors out and left in most of
          > the unnecessary gears etc from the powered units. They need better
          > bearings or whatever. Anyone come up with a f

          Yes, I came up with a fix which was finally produced after a few months of
          arguing that this was a significant problem (but I won't go into that). The
          fix is in the form of a small shim that is inserted inside the truck
          sideframes. This greatly reduces the friction on the wheels, allowing them
          to float freely. You can get a pair of these shims for each B-unit that you
          own by simply calling MT and asking for them. They're free (at least they
          were while I was still there). And all new B-units have the shims in them
          from the beginning.

          HTH

          Geoff
        • Greg Elmassian
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2001
            I just bought an ATSF blue and silver "B" unit... does that
            qualify as "new"? Rolls crummy...

            Greg

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2001
              on 10/5/2001 4:37 AM, Greg Elmassian at greg@... wrote:

              > I just bought an ATSF blue and silver "B" unit... does that
              > qualify as "new"? Rolls crummy...
              >
              > Greg

              Unfortunately, not necessarily. There are still a lot of "old" B-units in
              the pipeline. If you want to know if this one has the shims or not, look at
              the bottom of the trucks. There is a "window" in the center of the truck
              (it's there to provide clearance for the worm gear in the powered units).
              If there is a visible black bar going across the window inside the truck,
              then it has the shim in it. If you're not sure, you can carefully remove
              the truck side frames to check, as well.
              Now, I won't say that with the shim the B-units will roll as freely as,
              say, a box car. There is still a fair amount of friction involved with the
              way the wheels are mounted in. But a B-unit with shims will roll MUCH
              better than a B-unit without shims. (There wasn't sufficient justification
              to try to redesign the entire truck assembly, make new molds, etc, to make
              the B-units truly glide, though I would have like to.)

              Geoff