Need input on electrical items: Controllers, block slectors

  • gwhackman
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010
      With the Euro/$ ratio I really do not want to purchase more of the Marklin pushbutton selectors for the blocks, swithches etc. I am sure others have run into this too. I have plenty Marklin power units.
      I have noticed that there are tons of the Atlas [in new/un-opened] units being sold on Ebay. Has anyone utilized Atlas products in place of the marklin units with any success? Or, what are my other options? Thanks, Terry in New Hampshire [USA]
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010
        Terry,

        I have not used the Atlas so I can't comment. But, we do have 3x 7072
        Marklin control boxes in our Ztrack Resale shop. These are the older blue style,
        not the white. The are lightly used. We are asking $5.00 a piece, but better
        than the new price if you are interested.

        Note, these are not listed yet on the ztrackresale.com site. They are part
        of a new collection we received.

        Rob

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        www.ztrack.com
        www.ztrackcenter.com
        www.ztrackresale.com
        6142 Northcliff Blvd
        Dublin OH 43016
        (614) 764-1703

      • Alan Cox
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010
          On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:34:39 -0000
          "gwhackman" <gwhackman@...> wrote:

          > With the Euro/$ ratio I really do not want to purchase more of the Marklin pushbutton selectors for the blocks, swithches etc. I am sure others have run into this too. I have plenty Marklin power units.
          > I have noticed that there are tons of the Atlas [in new/un-opened] units being sold on Ebay. Has anyone utilized Atlas products in place of the marklin units with any success? Or, what are my other options? Thanks, Terry in New Hampshire [USA]

          Any generic switches should be just fine. They will be designed for at
          least 12 or 16v which is more than you need for Z scale. The 8945
          automatic relay stuff is trickier as you need lower voltage/power relays
          than you'll find in most N/HO/OO/O stuff.

          The switches for pointwork (switches in the US) are passing contact, the
          track block switches are normal. Reversing stuff uses DPPT switches and
          you want "break then make" switches for that.

          As with almost all model railway electronics. except controllers where
          you've got 110v/240v safety issues,you'll save a fortune if you just buy
          the electrical bits you need instead of model railway branded stuff.

          Alan
        • reynard wellman
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 31, 2010
            Hi Terry,
            The Atlas products are what I use; that and the Radio Shack DPDT toggle switches.
            With thoughtful "block" wiring you can run 3 to 6 different trains along their own
            networks using just three power supplies.

            The Atlas items are "low profile" making a good looking control board for
            turnouts, etc.

            best regardZ,
            Reynard