Rail Joiners

  • glenn allen
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2010
      Don't know if this has been mentioned before. But in one of the magazines there
      was a description of a rail joiner fitter for want of a better description. A
      short piece of rail, say about two inches long with a rail joiner soldered to it
      a little bit from one end, so that another rail joiner slipped on the same end
      will only go half on. You can then use this piece of rail to slip the joiner
      onto the other piece of rail a lot more easily.

      You can fit the rail with the soldered joiner into a small handle to make it
      better to hold.

    • Garth
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2010
        The device I have came from Mr Dave (David George) of the Golden~Blackhawk & Central City Layout. It consists of a piece of track about 1.5 inches long bent like a hockey stick and the handle of the hockey stick is locked in a pin vice. Then the blade of the hockey stick is used to install the rail joiners. In conjunction with that I use a small flat blade screw driver that has a slot in the blade just wide enough to slip over the rail head but not past the foot of a piece of rail and it is used to move rail joiners off the end of a piece of rail or just to slide it along if buried into the ties on a rail end. I like it better than a bent nose pair of pliers as it won't deform the rail joiner if you grab it improperly.

        cheerz Garth