Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Pennzee heavy weight truck question

  • Garth Hamilton
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 3, 2010
      Yes bearing cups will work but I know of no source over hear and up to
      now did not know of a source other 2mm society which requires
      membership to purchase. Do not know a commercial etcher who will do
      small jobs over here either. As for the drawing I like the Japanese
      way of doing the layout of the overlays as one sheet with fold lines
      so they fold and they do up to three layers in this manner. I think
      for the builder there are much better opportunities for craftsman type
      support in the hobby in the UK than over here.

      cheerz Garth

      On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Alan Cox <alan@...> wrote:
      > On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 15:31:31 -0400
      > Garth Hamilton <garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I am sure they are easy to etch if you have the
      >> materials,equipment,chemicals, and the knowledge. Then will they fit
      >> the existing metal wheel sets and roll free. At present we do not have
      >> any 36 inch metal wheels in Z that I know of.
      >
      > That makes it a bit trickier.
      >
      >> I figure you have to be pretty accurate with your drawings and etching
      >> to get the axle end holes right and align them through two or three
      >> layers of etched material during the folding and assembly.
      >
      > The drawing side isn't hard with CAD, and if its etched using a
      > commercial etcher your accuracy is not a problem (home etching is another
      > ball game and one I don't bother playing!). The trick I use (and its not
      > original) is to align the layers using the brass bearings. Not an
      > original trick at all. The other traditional thing needed (but much less
      > relevant if at all nowdays) is to put any overlays directly below the
      > main etch on the sheet and the same alignment so any minor distortion
      > applies equally to each layer.
      >
      >> Tried to do a metal frame to use behind the truck side frame castings
      >> from the Hallmark cars. The end result looked fine but the metal just
      >> chewed the end of the delrin axles on the wheel sets even when the
      >> axle hole was chamfered so no luck there.
      >
      > It will do - you really need turned brass bearing cups. With bearing cups
      > the wheels roll very smoothly and don't wear that I can see even after
      > heavy use. They also make building and assembling the bogie much easier
      > as they protrude through the layers aligning it. Not sure where you would
      > find them in the USA but I use Parkside Dundas ones meant for N scale -
      > they fit the MT wheels nicely.
      >
      > Alan

    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 3, 2010
        > Yes bearing cups will work but I know of no source over hear and up to
        > now did not know of a source other 2mm society which requires
        > membership to purchase. Do not know a commercial etcher who will do

        Markits in the UK do them bulk, and Parkside Dundas do them in smaller
        volume. They are actually shallower than the 2mmSA ones which makes them
        even better for Z scale work. Markits will happily sell you them in
        hundreds or thousands at bulk prices if you think there is a US market 8)

        > small jobs over here either. As for the drawing I like the Japanese

        Not sure on US commercial etchers who will do small scale. Lots of UK
        bigger etched kit people will stick other jobs on corners of sheets
        though - dunno if it is the same in the USA or not.

        > way of doing the layout of the overlays as one sheet with fold lines
        > so they fold and they do up to three layers in this manner.

        Yes - works nicely for most things.

        Alan