RE: Re: [Z_Scale] Looking for the person who is going a resin British Class 47 diesel, and coachs

  • ahellary
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2010
      The guy you need I think is graham jones

      The main man of z club gb if hes not the right man he will know who is

      Hes is based in northampton

      http://www.ford.demon.co.uk/

      tony

      _____

      Datum: Samstag, 15. Mai 2010
      Von: "janitorium" <yahoo@... <mailto:yahoo%40janitorium.co.uk>

      An: zgaugebritishandeuropean@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:zgaugebritishandeuropean%40yahoogroups.com>

      I've been toying with doing some British outline in Z scale for some time
      now,
      and decided it would be interesting to experiment with some of the rapid
      prototyping technologies that are around now - as a result of which I've
      managed to end up with a handful of prototype wagons which you can see the
      best of here:

      http://gallery.me.com/big.stu#100040

      I'm also looking at the feasibility of brake vans (BR 20T/GWR Toad) and
      possibly even Mk 1 coaches running on MTL bogies.

      It occurred to me that other people may be interested if these could be
      produced at a reasonable price, so I thought I'd de-lurk and see if there
      was
      any interest, and try and gain some feedback on what people might like. So
      here are the questions:

      1) Is anyone interested in 16T mineral wagons or planked wagons as depicted
      in
      the gallery linked above? (Or similar variants - should be possible to
      easily
      do N-plank or even a flat wagon.)

      2) Would interest be in small quantities (less than 5) or rakes (10 or
      more)?

      3) Metal (Full-throttle 33") or plastic (MTL 33" or 36") wheels?

      4) Couplings - Marklin/MTL/Simple pin/Other?

      Or any other wagon types which might be of interest?

      My very rough back of an envelope calculation (i.e. don't hold me to this)
      suggests that in small quantities, unpainted wagons with wheelsets, buffers
      and some form of couplers are going to cost somewhere between £15-£20 to
      produce. This doesn't seem an outrageous price range to be in compared to
      the
      commercial offerings (but guess it may end up being more if they are painted

      and sensibly packaged) - what do people think?

      At the moment I guess there are three potential outcomes:

      a) There is no interest and I'll just get a few made for myself.

      b) There is some interest and it may even be possible to have them made in
      sufficient quantities for the per-unit cost to drop a bit.

      c) There is a lot of interest and it may be worth investigating 'proper'
      production technologies (e.g. injection moulding).

      So - please let me know (privately or on list) if you're interested. I look
      forward to hearing from you :) Meanwhile I shall continue experimenting with

      some simple coupler technology which is compatible with Marklin couplers and

      suitable weights...

      Stu

    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2010
        > Maybe you speak of the gentleman, who posted below message via a British
        > yahoo-group. Only difference seems to be that he use rapid prototyping instead
        > of resine.

        The 47 in that looks like the old Ellmar one ? The wagons look nice
        though. I've found most 3d printed stuff to look very bobbly but those
        look okay.

        > I'm also looking at the feasibility of brake vans (BR 20T/GWR Toad) and
        > possibly even Mk 1 coaches running on MTL bogies.

        Sounds somewhat odd given the fact UK B4, commonwealth and BR1 bogies
        used on these vehicles are 8'6" wheelbase with 3' and 3'6" wheels.

        I did look at doing some etched Z scale UK bits, but the reality is that
        in the UK the availability of Z scale wheels, fine scale Z track or
        mechanisms (Marklin ones seem too fat for UK scale prototypes as the UK
      • Michael Crane
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2010
          Hi,

          Here is the link to the web page I believe you refer to -

          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230503672915&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

          e**y ID - and1969hill

          Regards,

          Michael.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2010
            ... bloody spell checker! ID = ant1969hill

            Regards,

            Michael.