Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Pennzee heavy weight truck question

  • Garth Hamilton
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010
      I am sure they are easy to etch if you have the
      materials,equipment,chemicals, and the knowledge. Then will they fit
      the existing metal wheel sets and roll free. At present we do not have
      any 36 inch metal wheels in Z that I know of.

      I figure you have to be pretty accurate with your drawings and etching
      to get the axle end holes right and align them through two or three
      layers of etched material during the folding and assembly.

      Tried to do a metal frame to use behind the truck side frame castings
      from the Hallmark cars. The end result looked fine but the metal just
      chewed the end of the delrin axles on the wheel sets even when the
      axle hole was chamfered so no luck there.

      Cheerz Garth

      On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Alan Cox <alan@...> wrote:
      >> I am ahead of you on this one. While yes the cars run much better with the new three axle trucks. However, they do not look good as they sit too far back from the vestibule steps and you have to create a new hole for the truck pin. If you use the existing hole the coupler sits way out in front of the car so you have to shorten the arm off of the truck. Hopefully we will eventually see a heavy weight 6 wheel truck for Z. If it were here we just might see a lot more action on heavy weight cars.
      >
      > They can be fiddly to build but reasonable trucks are very easy to etch
      > to most designs and sizes.
      >
      > Alan

    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 3, 2010
        On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 15:31:31 -0400
        Garth Hamilton <garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:

        > I am sure they are easy to etch if you have the
        > materials,equipment,chemicals, and the knowledge. Then will they fit
        > the existing metal wheel sets and roll free. At present we do not have
        > any 36 inch metal wheels in Z that I know of.

        That makes it a bit trickier.

        > I figure you have to be pretty accurate with your drawings and etching
        > to get the axle end holes right and align them through two or three
        > layers of etched material during the folding and assembly.

        The drawing side isn't hard with CAD, and if its etched using a
        commercial etcher your accuracy is not a problem (home etching is another
        ball game and one I don't bother playing!). The trick I use (and its not
        original) is to align the layers using the brass bearings. Not an
        original trick at all. The other traditional thing needed (but much less
        relevant if at all nowdays) is to put any overlays directly below the
        main etch on the sheet and the same alignment so any minor distortion
        applies equally to each layer.

        > Tried to do a metal frame to use behind the truck side frame castings
        > from the Hallmark cars. The end result looked fine but the metal just
        > chewed the end of the delrin axles on the wheel sets even when the
        > axle hole was chamfered so no luck there.

        It will do - you really need turned brass bearing cups. With bearing cups
        the wheels roll very smoothly and don't wear that I can see even after
        heavy use. They also make building and assembling the bogie much easier
        as they protrude through the layers aligning it. Not sure where you would
        find them in the USA but I use Parkside Dundas ones meant for N scale -
        they fit the MT wheels nicely.

        Alan
      • Garth Hamilton
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 3, 2010
          Yes bearing cups will work but I know of no source over hear and up to
          now did not know of a source other 2mm society which requires
          membership to purchase. Do not know a commercial etcher who will do
          small jobs over here either. As for the drawing I like the Japanese
          way of doing the layout of the overlays as one sheet with fold lines
          so they fold and they do up to three layers in this manner. I think
          for the builder there are much better opportunities for craftsman type
          support in the hobby in the UK than over here.

          cheerz Garth

          On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Alan Cox <alan@...> wrote:
          > On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 15:31:31 -0400
          > Garth Hamilton <garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:
          >
          >> I am sure they are easy to etch if you have the
          >> materials,equipment,chemicals, and the knowledge. Then will they fit
          >> the existing metal wheel sets and roll free. At present we do not have
          >> any 36 inch metal wheels in Z that I know of.
          >
          > That makes it a bit trickier.
          >
          >> I figure you have to be pretty accurate with your drawings and etching
          >> to get the axle end holes right and align them through two or three
          >> layers of etched material during the folding and assembly.
          >
          > The drawing side isn't hard with CAD, and if its etched using a
          > commercial etcher your accuracy is not a problem (home etching is another
          > ball game and one I don't bother playing!). The trick I use (and its not
          > original) is to align the layers using the brass bearings. Not an
          > original trick at all. The other traditional thing needed (but much less
          > relevant if at all nowdays) is to put any overlays directly below the
          > main etch on the sheet and the same alignment so any minor distortion
          > applies equally to each layer.
          >
          >> Tried to do a metal frame to use behind the truck side frame castings
          >> from the Hallmark cars. The end result looked fine but the metal just
          >> chewed the end of the delrin axles on the wheel sets even when the
          >> axle hole was chamfered so no luck there.
          >
          > It will do - you really need turned brass bearing cups. With bearing cups
          > the wheels roll very smoothly and don't wear that I can see even after
          > heavy use. They also make building and assembling the bogie much easier
          > as they protrude through the layers aligning it. Not sure where you would
          > find them in the USA but I use Parkside Dundas ones meant for N scale -
          > they fit the MT wheels nicely.
          >
          > Alan

        • Alan Cox
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 3, 2010
            > Yes bearing cups will work but I know of no source over hear and up to
            > now did not know of a source other 2mm society which requires
            > membership to purchase. Do not know a commercial etcher who will do

            Markits in the UK do them bulk, and Parkside Dundas do them in smaller
            volume. They are actually shallower than the 2mmSA ones which makes them
            even better for Z scale work. Markits will happily sell you them in
            hundreds or thousands at bulk prices if you think there is a US market 8)

            > small jobs over here either. As for the drawing I like the Japanese

            Not sure on US commercial etchers who will do small scale. Lots of UK
            bigger etched kit people will stick other jobs on corners of sheets
            though - dunno if it is the same in the USA or not.

            > way of doing the layout of the overlays as one sheet with fold lines
            > so they fold and they do up to three layers in this manner.

            Yes - works nicely for most things.

            Alan