Re: derailing cars

  • stamperdream@yahoo.ca
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2001
      Hello,

      It is very difficult to give you a simple answer to your question.
      In fact, I have several questions for you.

      1. Do the same cars derail all the time or occasionally?
      2. Do the cars derail at the same place?
      3. Where do they derail? on a curve, at a rail joint, on a turnout?
      4. If your turn the derailing car(s) around, do they continue to
      derail? At the same place?

      Here are some general guidelines:

      I have found that most Märklin and Micro-Trains cars are
      excellent runners and rarely derail except:

      1. there is a bad rail joint and a wheel flange is picking the joint.

      This will usually occur in one direction only. Check your track.
      2. there may be hair or lint wrapped atound an axle of the car or
      cars that are derailing. Remove the wheel sets and check for lint
      and remove any collected dirt. The wheels should spin freely in
      the trucks.
      3. Check the gauge of the rails where derailing occurs. The rails
      may be too close together which cause a wheel to ride up and
      over the rail. Gently regauge the track where the problem occurs.
      4. Check the gauge of the wheels on the derailing car. It is
      possible that the wheels may be slightly too far apart or too close
      together on the axle. Use a wheel gauge or another wheel set to
      compare.
      5. Also spin the wheel in the truck to see that the wheels are not
      out of round or bent on the axle. You will see the wheel wobble if
      this is the case. Replace the wheel set.
      6. Try putting the offending car at the end of the train. Sometimes
      the drag of a long train will pull a lighter car or cars off of the
      track. You might consider adding a small amount of weight to
      cars that derail in this case.

      UNIVERSAL RULE: Keep the wheels free rolling by checking
      rolling stock regularly for hair, dirt and lint in the axles. Keep
      drag as low as possible.

      Hope that these suggestion are of some help. Try to answer the
      questions at the beginning of this post. They are designed to
      help you diagnose (identify) the cause(s) of your derailments.

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey MacHan

      --- In z_scale@y..., "Martijn " <martijn27@y...> wrote:
      > Mine z scale track is pretty smooth I think, but some of mine
      cars
      > are derailing all the time. Is this caused by the (light)weight of
      > the cars and how to prevend.
    • Martijn
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2001
        Thanks for your detailed reply. I'm just started with z scale, before
        I had a large H0 plan in mine other house, but due to a lack of space
        and two kids now I switched to Z. The derailing is occured on rail
        joints, special with one axel cars connected to two axel cars. I'm
        aware that they can derail on turnouts, so for me it's strange that
        the derailing is caused on straight track.

        Martijn