Watch yourself!

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2010
      Most of us "experianced" buyers and sellers know of that certain auction site. And, we also know that we can sometimes find a good deal... other times, not so. Here is one of those times...

      Search for listing #170520492223. I prefer not to post a direct link.

      I don't know this seller. He's selling a recent Micro-Trains weathered release at $6.05 over MSRP. These are NOT sold out. So... I sent him this little message...

      "Hello, How are you? Okay... I'm curious. Why are you selling this for $6.05 over retail pricing? These are very easy to get for $10.00 less than what you're selling them for. Thanks"

      The seller's reply...

      "Then you can buy them there, not here. I sell for what I think I can get, 95% of the time, some body does not know pricing, or see's an item he just has to have, or an item that is scarce, Thanks Curious"

      Well... at least his reply is honest. But... disappointing.

      Folks... please be careful and research before spending your hard-earned $ on our hobby.
    • Don Avila
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30, 2010
        *Alex -

        This no different than buying from any dealer. Some sell at list - some 20%
        off list - Some 25% off list - a few even 30% off list. Some charge
        reasonable shipping and handling charges and some make more profit on S&H +
        "Insurance" than selling the item itself.

        Sort of like buying from the car dealer at a fair price or sticker price or
        in some cases well over sticker price. A lot of considerations go into
        pricing. I don't think there are many cases where the buyer is forced to
        buy from a particular seller.

        Competition is about Choices.

        ...d

        *

      • kd79ctls
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2010
          Alex

          You should thank him for selling it for that price.

          You go to Walmart, Home Depot, or Any of the Sport Marts out there they have a 90% mark up. Your screws you buy at hardware stores have anyware between 100% mark up to 400% mark up. You all heard of those $100.00 basketball shoes costing $5.00 in some cases it true. The hobby Industy only has a max of 40% mark up and most sell for less that why so many hobby shops go out of bussiness.

          Kevin
        • GLENN
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2010
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <techrepjapan@...> wrote:

            > Most of us "experianced" buyers and sellers know of that certain auction site. And, we also know that we can sometimes find a good deal... other times, not so. Here is one of those times...
            >
            > Search for listing #170520492223. I prefer not to post a direct link.
            >
            > I don't know this seller. He's selling a recent Micro-Trains weathered release at $6.05 over MSRP. These are NOT sold out. So... I sent him this little message...
            >
            > "Hello, How are you? Okay... I'm curious. Why are you selling this for $6.05 over retail pricing? These are very easy to get for $10.00 less than what you're selling them for. Thanks"
            >
            > The seller's reply...
            >
            > "Then you can buy them there, not here. I sell for what I think I can get, 95% of the time, some body does not know pricing, or see's an item he just has to have, or an item that is scarce, Thanks Curious"
            >
            > Well... at least his reply is honest. But... disappointing.
            >
            > Folks... please be careful and research before spending your hard-earned $ on our hobby.

            The first rule on *bay is Buyer Beware
            The second rule is watch your shipping price & method
            The third rule is set your price & stick to it.
            Don't let the excitement of the auction determine the final price.