Pennzee heavy weight truck question

  • soccrdad
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 29, 2010
      Some time ago I purchased some Pennzee heavy weights. I have a couple of passengers, a coach, and a diner car. All still in kit form. The instructions request to use Marklin Passenger Trucks #334240.

      Has anyone tried the MTL passenger trucks? Or has anyone converted their trucks to the MTL style?

      I don't want to do any painting or assembly until I know what to do about the trucks. Most of my steamers have MTL couplers.

      Thanks.

      John K.
    • Bohuš
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 29, 2010
        Hiya,

        Some time ago I emailed the list as I have the Z scale Zeppelin with one
        of the blades of the propeller broken off. I got some great idea on what
        to do about from here (thanks!), though I still haven't actually done
        anything about it. ;)

        I seem to recall hearing that there might be a reissue of the zep, and
        that might mean that there are replacement props to be had. Any idea
        where I'd check to find out? Are the folks at maerklin responsive when
        you write them an email with a question? Thanks!

        Bohus Blahut
        (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

        modern filmmaker
      • rvn20012000
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 29, 2010
          John,

          I just replaced the Marklin coupler on the front truck of the baggage car that I put right behind the steam loco tender with a MTL coupler. The rest of the couplers I left Marklin because they coupled closer without being too close. I haven't checked the new MTL trucks since I built these several years ago.

          Thom Welsch

        • ztrack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 29, 2010
            In a message dated 7/29/10 5:24:45 PM, bohus@... writes:

            > I seem to recall hearing that there might be a reissue of the zep, and
            > that might mean that there are replacement props to be had. Any idea
            > where I'd check to find out?

            Yes, in the March/April 2010 issue of Ztrack Magazine, we have a photo of
            Rail Zepplin that will be released this year. The photo appears on page 10 of
            the issue. It is item 88761. It is being re-released as part of the 175th
            anniversary of German railroading. There are some differences. I don't
            believe the new Zepplin is silver plated. Also the propeller appears to be black,
            not yellow like on the original. It is not know if parts will be made
            available.

            Rob

            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            www.ztrack.com
            www.ztrackcenter.com
            www.ztrackresale.com
            6142 Northcliff Blvd
            Dublin OH 43016
            (614) 764-1703

          • Bohuš
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 29, 2010
              On 7/29/2010 5:15 PM, ztrack@... wrote:
              > Yes, in the March/April 2010 issue of Ztrack Magazine, we have a photo of
              > Rail Zepplin that will be released this year.

              Cool! so I haven't missed it...

              > The photo appears on page 10 of
              > the issue. It is item 88761. It is being re-released as part of the 175th
              > anniversary of German railroading.

              I was wondering whether there was some event to tie in with, or if they
              might have just needed a little cash boost these days. ;)

              > There are some differences. I don't
              > believe the new Zepplin is silver plated.

              Cool! I'm glad the original is still special.
              > Also the propeller appears to be black,
              > not yellow like on the original.

              Well, I doubt that the real zeppelin had a yellow propeller. ;)

              > It is not know if parts will be made
              > available.

              I've got to think that someone somewhere might be able to spare a 10
              cent plastic propeller. Here's hoping. Thanks for the info!

              Bohus Blahut
              (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

              modern filmmaker
            • Elizabeth Hayes
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 29, 2010
                by micro-trains passenger trucks are you talking about the old two axle NN3 trucks (tried them, didn't work) or the new two axle trucks from the smoothside passenger cars or the even newer three axle trucks from the circus cars? Haven't tried either of those since my kits have already been assembled long ago. When I bought my kits ,the NN3 trucks were the only ones Micro-trains made in the way of passener trucks at the time, so I bought the cheapest Marklin passenger cars available from the Gunter Fortkord catalogue, and took the trucks off of them to use, at the time they were cheaper than buying trucks as separate parts from Marlkin

                To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 30, 2010
                  Hi Bohus,

                  The real Rail Zeppelin had a wooden propeller as per aeroplanes so black
                  would be fine.

                  I hope they do spares for the Rail Zeppelin too as I could do with a5 pole
                  motor for mine and a spare propeller as mine looks a bit as if it's on it's
                  way out.

                  Very tempted to buy a new Rail Zeppelin as so sleek but only one was ever
                  made in real life which is a shame as so stylish albeit a bit deadly for
                  passangers on platform with propeller drive.

                  Kind RegardZ

                  Melissa
                  UK

                  > Yes, in the March/April 2010 issue of Ztrack Magazine, we have a photo of
                  > Rail Zepplin that will be released this year.

                  Cool! so I haven't missed it...

                  > The photo appears on page 10 of
                  > the issue. It is item 88761. It is being re-released as part of the 175th
                  > anniversary of German railroading.

                  I was wondering whether there was some event to tie in with, or if they
                  might have just needed a little cash boost these days. ;)

                  > There are some differences. I don't
                  > believe the new Zepplin is silver plated.

                  Cool! I'm glad the original is still special.
                  > Also the propeller appears to be black,
                  > not yellow like on the original.

                  Well, I doubt that the real zeppelin had a yellow propeller. ;)

                  > It is not know if parts will be made
                  > available.

                  I've got to think that someone somewhere might be able to spare a 10
                  cent plastic propeller. Here's hoping. Thanks for the info!

                  Bohus Blahut
                  (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

                  modern filmmaker
                • Arnim v. Herff
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 30, 2010
                    Hello Zedonians.

                    Am Freitag, 30. Juli 2010 00:32:25 schrieb Bohuš:
                    > Well, I doubt that the real zeppelin had a yellow propeller. ;)

                    Beside the colour, I doubt that it had a propeller with four blades:

                    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Schienenzeppelin

                    More about the railcar here (including a picture of a Z-scale model):

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schienenzeppelin

                    (Technical datas in German version:
                    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schienenzeppelin)

                    Greetings Arnim
                  • Arnim v. Herff
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 30, 2010
                      Again.

                      Am Freitag, 30. Juli 2010 09:29:04 schrieb Arnim v. Herff:
                      > Beside the colour, I doubt that it had a propeller with four blades:

                      Ooops, sorry. There was only one vehicle, but two versions of the propeller:

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEIk7OIGWFE

                      Greetings Arnim
                    • Arnim v. Herff
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 30, 2010
                        Am Freitag, 30. Juli 2010 11:19:48 schrieb Arnim v. Herff:
                        > but two versions of the
                        > propeller:

                        Ok, if I watched it correct here:

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ID_ktSoLY&

                        and here:

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY7PIIV0nIs&NR=1

                        It seems the propeller with four blades is used in cases where the car drove
                        on standard-lines (for transfer, it had never pay-load). During hi-speed
                        test-runs was used a propeller with two blades.

                        In the first part of the video at 1:27 it was said that the propeller was made
                        from wood by Fraxinus exelsior (Ash). As the colour of it on the model tends
                        to yellow, IMHO it was a try by Märklin for hiting the wood-colour.

                        (Finally) Greetings Arnim
                      • jim29t
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 30, 2010
                          John, I purchased the new 3 axel passenger trucks with the intent of trying them on the Pennzee heavyweights. I also want to try them on the Hallmark Freedom Train. The intent is there but other things keep interfereing. If I get any time today I wii try them . Jim Thomas
                        • Garth
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 30, 2010
                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jim29t" <jim29t@...> wrote:

                            > John, I purchased the new 3 axel passenger trucks with the intent of trying them on the Pennzee heavyweights. I also want to try them on the Hallmark Freedom Train. The intent is there but other things keep interfereing. If I get any time today I wii try them . Jim Thomas

                            Jim

                            I am ahead of you on this one. While yes the cars run much better with the new three axle trucks. However, they do not look good as they sit too far back from the vestibule steps and you have to create a new hole for the truck pin. If you use the existing hole the coupler sits way out in front of the car so you have to shorten the arm off of the truck. Hopefully we will eventually see a heavy weight 6 wheel truck for Z. If it were here we just might see a lot more action on heavy weight cars.

                            So next I am trying to shorten the shank on the coupler and relocate the truck closer to the end of the car.

                            cheerz Garth
                          • soccrdad
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 30, 2010
                              Thank you all.

                              I have just finished decorating a SOO Mikado, and currently working on a red/white SOO cabby.

                              I do not want to ruin the beautiful Pennzee heavyweights, so I am just in the planning stage of how to tackle the coupler issue.

                              And at its worst, I will just buy the Marklin passenger trucks, and make a transition car.
                            • Alan Cox
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 30, 2010
                                > I am ahead of you on this one. While yes the cars run much better with the new three axle trucks. However, they do not look good as they sit too far back from the vestibule steps and you have to create a new hole for the truck pin. If you use the existing hole the coupler sits way out in front of the car so you have to shorten the arm off of the truck. Hopefully we will eventually see a heavy weight 6 wheel truck for Z. If it were here we just might see a lot more action on heavy weight cars.

                                They can be fiddly to build but reasonable trucks are very easy to etch
                                to most designs and sizes.

                                Alan
                              • Garth Hamilton
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010
                                  I am sure they are easy to etch if you have the
                                  materials,equipment,chemicals, and the knowledge. Then will they fit
                                  the existing metal wheel sets and roll free. At present we do not have
                                  any 36 inch metal wheels in Z that I know of.

                                  I figure you have to be pretty accurate with your drawings and etching
                                  to get the axle end holes right and align them through two or three
                                  layers of etched material during the folding and assembly.

                                  Tried to do a metal frame to use behind the truck side frame castings
                                  from the Hallmark cars. The end result looked fine but the metal just
                                  chewed the end of the delrin axles on the wheel sets even when the
                                  axle hole was chamfered so no luck there.

                                  Cheerz Garth

                                  On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Alan Cox <alan@...> wrote:
                                  >> I am ahead of you on this one. While yes the cars run much better with the new three axle trucks. However, they do not look good as they sit too far back from the vestibule steps and you have to create a new hole for the truck pin. If you use the existing hole the coupler sits way out in front of the car so you have to shorten the arm off of the truck. Hopefully we will eventually see a heavy weight 6 wheel truck for Z. If it were here we just might see a lot more action on heavy weight cars.
                                  >
                                  > They can be fiddly to build but reasonable trucks are very easy to etch
                                  > to most designs and sizes.
                                  >
                                  > Alan

                                • Alan Cox
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 3, 2010
                                    On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 15:31:31 -0400
                                    Garth Hamilton <garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:

                                    > I am sure they are easy to etch if you have the
                                    > materials,equipment,chemicals, and the knowledge. Then will they fit
                                    > the existing metal wheel sets and roll free. At present we do not have
                                    > any 36 inch metal wheels in Z that I know of.

                                    That makes it a bit trickier.

                                    > I figure you have to be pretty accurate with your drawings and etching
                                    > to get the axle end holes right and align them through two or three
                                    > layers of etched material during the folding and assembly.

                                    The drawing side isn't hard with CAD, and if its etched using a
                                    commercial etcher your accuracy is not a problem (home etching is another
                                    ball game and one I don't bother playing!). The trick I use (and its not
                                    original) is to align the layers using the brass bearings. Not an
                                    original trick at all. The other traditional thing needed (but much less
                                    relevant if at all nowdays) is to put any overlays directly below the
                                    main etch on the sheet and the same alignment so any minor distortion
                                    applies equally to each layer.

                                    > Tried to do a metal frame to use behind the truck side frame castings
                                    > from the Hallmark cars. The end result looked fine but the metal just
                                    > chewed the end of the delrin axles on the wheel sets even when the
                                    > axle hole was chamfered so no luck there.

                                    It will do - you really need turned brass bearing cups. With bearing cups
                                    the wheels roll very smoothly and don't wear that I can see even after
                                    heavy use. They also make building and assembling the bogie much easier
                                    as they protrude through the layers aligning it. Not sure where you would
                                    find them in the USA but I use Parkside Dundas ones meant for N scale -
                                    they fit the MT wheels nicely.

                                    Alan
                                  • Garth Hamilton
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 3, 2010
                                      Yes bearing cups will work but I know of no source over hear and up to
                                      now did not know of a source other 2mm society which requires
                                      membership to purchase. Do not know a commercial etcher who will do
                                      small jobs over here either. As for the drawing I like the Japanese
                                      way of doing the layout of the overlays as one sheet with fold lines
                                      so they fold and they do up to three layers in this manner. I think
                                      for the builder there are much better opportunities for craftsman type
                                      support in the hobby in the UK than over here.

                                      cheerz Garth

                                      On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Alan Cox <alan@...> wrote:
                                      > On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 15:31:31 -0400
                                      > Garth Hamilton <garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> I am sure they are easy to etch if you have the
                                      >> materials,equipment,chemicals, and the knowledge. Then will they fit
                                      >> the existing metal wheel sets and roll free. At present we do not have
                                      >> any 36 inch metal wheels in Z that I know of.
                                      >
                                      > That makes it a bit trickier.
                                      >
                                      >> I figure you have to be pretty accurate with your drawings and etching
                                      >> to get the axle end holes right and align them through two or three
                                      >> layers of etched material during the folding and assembly.
                                      >
                                      > The drawing side isn't hard with CAD, and if its etched using a
                                      > commercial etcher your accuracy is not a problem (home etching is another
                                      > ball game and one I don't bother playing!). The trick I use (and its not
                                      > original) is to align the layers using the brass bearings. Not an
                                      > original trick at all. The other traditional thing needed (but much less
                                      > relevant if at all nowdays) is to put any overlays directly below the
                                      > main etch on the sheet and the same alignment so any minor distortion
                                      > applies equally to each layer.
                                      >
                                      >> Tried to do a metal frame to use behind the truck side frame castings
                                      >> from the Hallmark cars. The end result looked fine but the metal just
                                      >> chewed the end of the delrin axles on the wheel sets even when the
                                      >> axle hole was chamfered so no luck there.
                                      >
                                      > It will do - you really need turned brass bearing cups. With bearing cups
                                      > the wheels roll very smoothly and don't wear that I can see even after
                                      > heavy use. They also make building and assembling the bogie much easier
                                      > as they protrude through the layers aligning it. Not sure where you would
                                      > find them in the USA but I use Parkside Dundas ones meant for N scale -
                                      > they fit the MT wheels nicely.
                                      >
                                      > Alan

                                    • Alan Cox
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 3, 2010
                                        > Yes bearing cups will work but I know of no source over hear and up to
                                        > now did not know of a source other 2mm society which requires
                                        > membership to purchase. Do not know a commercial etcher who will do

                                        Markits in the UK do them bulk, and Parkside Dundas do them in smaller
                                        volume. They are actually shallower than the 2mmSA ones which makes them
                                        even better for Z scale work. Markits will happily sell you them in
                                        hundreds or thousands at bulk prices if you think there is a US market 8)

                                        > small jobs over here either. As for the drawing I like the Japanese

                                        Not sure on US commercial etchers who will do small scale. Lots of UK
                                        bigger etched kit people will stick other jobs on corners of sheets
                                        though - dunno if it is the same in the USA or not.

                                        > way of doing the layout of the overlays as one sheet with fold lines
                                        > so they fold and they do up to three layers in this manner.

                                        Yes - works nicely for most things.

                                        Alan