derailing cars

  • Martijn
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2001
      Mine z scale track is pretty smooth I think, but some of mine cars
      are derailing all the time. Is this caused by the (light)weight of
      the cars and how to prevend.
    • stamperdream@yahoo.ca
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2001
        Hello,

        It is very difficult to give you a simple answer to your question.
        In fact, I have several questions for you.

        1. Do the same cars derail all the time or occasionally?
        2. Do the cars derail at the same place?
        3. Where do they derail? on a curve, at a rail joint, on a turnout?
        4. If your turn the derailing car(s) around, do they continue to
        derail? At the same place?

        Here are some general guidelines:

        I have found that most Märklin and Micro-Trains cars are
        excellent runners and rarely derail except:

        1. there is a bad rail joint and a wheel flange is picking the joint.

        This will usually occur in one direction only. Check your track.
        2. there may be hair or lint wrapped atound an axle of the car or
        cars that are derailing. Remove the wheel sets and check for lint
        and remove any collected dirt. The wheels should spin freely in
        the trucks.
        3. Check the gauge of the rails where derailing occurs. The rails
        may be too close together which cause a wheel to ride up and
        over the rail. Gently regauge the track where the problem occurs.
        4. Check the gauge of the wheels on the derailing car. It is
        possible that the wheels may be slightly too far apart or too close
        together on the axle. Use a wheel gauge or another wheel set to
        compare.
        5. Also spin the wheel in the truck to see that the wheels are not
        out of round or bent on the axle. You will see the wheel wobble if
        this is the case. Replace the wheel set.
        6. Try putting the offending car at the end of the train. Sometimes
        the drag of a long train will pull a lighter car or cars off of the
        track. You might consider adding a small amount of weight to
        cars that derail in this case.

        UNIVERSAL RULE: Keep the wheels free rolling by checking
        rolling stock regularly for hair, dirt and lint in the axles. Keep
        drag as low as possible.

        Hope that these suggestion are of some help. Try to answer the
        questions at the beginning of this post. They are designed to
        help you diagnose (identify) the cause(s) of your derailments.

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey MacHan

        --- In z_scale@y..., "Martijn " <martijn27@y...> wrote:
        > Mine z scale track is pretty smooth I think, but some of mine
        cars
        > are derailing all the time. Is this caused by the (light)weight of
        > the cars and how to prevend.
      • Martijn
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2001
          Thanks for your detailed reply. I'm just started with z scale, before
          I had a large H0 plan in mine other house, but due to a lack of space
          and two kids now I switched to Z. The derailing is occured on rail
          joints, special with one axel cars connected to two axel cars. I'm
          aware that they can derail on turnouts, so for me it's strange that
          the derailing is caused on straight track.

          Martijn