Re: ACI labels

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2010
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...> wrote:
      ...Or do the graffiti people
      > generally avoid interfering with vital labels (I've noticed that they've
      > generally avoided obscuring road numbers).
      >
      > CheerZ,
      > -- Malcolm Z

      Graffiti "artists" (okay, some are quite good) could care less about painting over essential information. They're vandals, pure and simple.

      What you may be seeing is the owner railroad is repainting road numbers (at the very least) when the car comes home for repairs/inspection. They leave the rest of the "art" to save labor and it's an extra layer of paint to protect the body. Look closely at a car that has a remarkably clean road number but the rest of/most of the body is littered with graffiti - you'll find the area with the road number/reporting marks is generally fresher than, say, the paint higher on the body...out of the "artists" reach.

      It's an opportunity to model a modern car by cutting out the graffiti around the reporting marks/road numbers.

      You might also note that tank cars tend to have less graffiti than box cars. I'm guessing tank cars are often kept behind fences for loading/unloading, making them less available for "art".

      Have fun,
      Joe Krepps, Secretary for Keystone Chapter - European Train Enthusiasts <-sadly seeing more graffiti on European cars these days