Re: [Z_Scale] InterMountain Canadian Grain Hoppers

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 14, 2010
      In a message dated 7/14/10 9:20:10 AM, gertvelthuizen@... writes:

      > I guess I will love them in Z too, wasn't/isn't IM the actual producer
      > for the Full Throttle ones in various paintschemes?

      Gert,

      Bowser produces the cylindrials for Full Throttle as well as their line of
      two bay hoppers.

      Rob

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      www.ztrack.com
      www.ztrackcenter.com
      www.ztrackresale.com
      6142 Northcliff Blvd
      Dublin OH 43016
      (614) 764-1703

    • Gert Velthuizen
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 14, 2010
        OK, Thank you.

        Love those too, you know...

        Gert

        To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
        From: ztrack@...
        Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:40:42 -0400
        Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] InterMountain Canadian Grain Hoppers

        In a message dated 7/14/10 9:20:10 AM, gertvelthuizen@... writes:

        > I guess I will love them in Z too, wasn't/isn't IM the actual producer
        > for the Full Throttle ones in various paintschemes?

        Gert,

        Bowser produces the cylindrials for Full Throttle as well as their line of
        two bay hoppers.

        Rob

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        www.ztrack.com
        www.ztrackcenter.com
        www.ztrackresale.com
        6142 Northcliff Blvd
        Dublin OH 43016
        (614) 764-1703

      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 14, 2010
          Bill,
          Great info on the new IM cars. Thanks,
          Loren

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 14, 2010
            ztrack@... wrote:
            > Bill,
            >
            > Great information! Thanks for posting this!
            >
            > Rob

            I was digging through some magazines today and found an an article on
            these cars in the March 1992 Railroad Model Craftsman.

            Bill Dixon
          • CJ Walsh
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 15, 2010
              This year Hallmark is offering the Lionel UP M-10000 in their Keepsake
              Christmas ornament series. It will be interesting to see if it is close
              to Z-scale.

              From their catalog:

              LIONEL® Union Pacific Streamliner Locomotive
              Wheels turn. Handcrafted and metal. 3 1/2" W.
              $18.95 USA QX8626

              LIONEL® Union Pacific Streamliner Long Coach
              Wheels turn. Handcrafted and metal. 3 1/2" W.
              $14.95 USA QXI2023

              LIONEL® Union Pacific Streamliner Buffet Coach
              Wheels turn. Handcrafted and metal. 3 3/4" W.
              $14.95 USA QXI2013

              You can see all three pieces in the on-line catalog at Hallmark.com.

              Cheerz,

              CJ Walsh
            • Loren Snyder
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 15, 2010
                Hallmark is also offering the Berkshire steam that is featured in Polar
                Express. I've seen it and it looks like it might be fairly close to Z scale
                Not too bad a looking loco if you don't get up too awfully close. The
                three foot rule would certainly work in this case.

                Loren

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 15, 2010
                  I picked up one of the M-10000 sets last night, but haven't had a chance to measure it yet.  It seems about the right size, but since the prototype train itself was a little on the small side, I can't tell for sure until I dig out my drawings and compare the measurements.

                  The gauge is about 7.5mm which is big for Z, but gauge doesn't mean much for Hallmark ornaments.  It scales out to about 78' long and 12-14' wide for the power unit, which sounds about right for a passenger car, but as I said, this was a small train.

                  I saw the polar express train as well.  No tender (not really a problem), and it is plastic and not as detailed as some other Hallmark ornaments, but it does seem to be the right size.  I haven't bought one yet (forgot and left my coupon at home).

                  In October, they will release the miniature train set with a steam engine (2-4-2), tender, and gondola.  Might or moght not be too small.

                  Randy

                  This year Hallmark is offering the Lionel UP M-10000 in their Keepsake

                  Christmas ornament series. It will be interesting to see if it is close

                  to Z-scale.

                  From their catalog:

                  LIONEL® Union Pacific Streamliner Locomotive

                  Wheels turn. Handcrafted and metal. 3 1/2" W.

                  $18.95 USA QX8626

                  LIONEL® Union Pacific Streamliner Long Coach

                  Wheels turn. Handcrafted and metal. 3 1/2" W.

                  $14.95 USA QXI2023

                  LIONEL® Union Pacific Streamliner Buffet Coach

                  Wheels turn. Handcrafted and metal. 3 3/4" W.

                  $14.95 USA QXI2013

                  You can see all three pieces in the on-line catalog at Hallmark.com.

                  Cheerz,

                  CJ Walsh

                • Thomas Creighton Sr
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 15, 2010
                    what coupon?

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 16, 2010
                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Creighton Sr <bigtrain6@...> wrote:

                      > what coupon?
                      >

                      > I sometimes get a coupon for Hallmark purchases in the mail for the local store. Usually mixed in with coupons for other local business like Jiffy Lube I can't use.

                      The UP set does appear to be close to Z scale. The miniature sets tend to be too small for Z scale. The Polar Express steamer may be useable as a park engine. Needs a tender.
                      I'm watching for the Vacation House that may be useful. Too bad the church series has ended.
                    • Randall Smidt
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 17, 2010
                        I measured the whole three car set last night (The only prototype dimension I could find online was the length of the entire three car train set) and it scales out about 3% larger than Z or about 1/210th scale.  Width measures out to 11.5' wide (in 1/220).

                        Interesting thing about this set is that the cars are joined together by magnets in the articulated part/vestibule section instead of by couplers.  The power car is cast metal and the cars are plastic.  I noticed that the brown paint color on the power car is slightly different than on the cars, probably due to one being metal and the other being plastic.

                        The M-10000 was a three car set as this ornament set is, but the box says it is a model of (the Lionel toy train of) the M-10001 which was run as a longer train set with a sleeper.  The car numbers used don't quite seem to match up though.  Still have to check that (as well as dig out my drawings that are currently buried in the basement).

                        This is one I've personally been hoping for for a long time.

                        Randy

                        The UP set does appear to be close to Z scale. The miniature sets tend to be too small for Z scale. The Polar Express steamer may be useable as a park engine. Needs a tender.

                        I'm watching for the Vacation House that may be useful. Too bad the church series has ended.

                        _,_._,___

                      • Danny Goodman
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 18, 2010
                          There is a difference between the UP M-1000x trains and Lionel's versions. It's true that the UP (prototype) City of Portland entered service as a 6-car train. But AFAIK, Lionel's version of the CoP was only three cars total with perhaps an available extra car (I don't have any Lionel prewar catalogs to confirm, but their more recent commemorative issue of the M-10000 had an optional extra car). The 752W, 753, and 754 numbers on the ornaments (Lionel numbers) are consistent with prewar models I've seen (although there was also a 752E engine, both in UP colors -- I'm not sure the difference between the two issues, perhaps the E was City of Salina M-10000).

                          I have an original copy of the Ranks/Kratville UP Streamliners book, which contains a museum full of photos (including construction and component photos) and drawings of these extraordinary trains. The M-1000x series is by far my favorite in all of traindom.

                          Danny

                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Randall Smidt <randy@...> wrote:

                          > The M-10000 was a three car set as this ornament set is, but the box says it is a model of (the Lionel toy train of) the M-10001 which was run as a longer train set with a sleeper.  The car numbers used don't quite seem to match up though.
                        • Rocco
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 25, 2010
                            Coupon? How is one obtained?