A photo for the cover page

  • CH Bahn
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 29, 2001
      Hi Gang,

      Here is a photo of a portion of my layout that I have been working on
      for a couple weeks now. As you can see, it is still kind of rough and
      needs more work. I am trying to add more detail to give it more
      realism. I am having trouble with the trees. It is very difficult to
      find good looking tree in Z scale. The track plan is a little simple,
      but I think I will change it to a dual track later so I can have two
      trains going in opposite directions. I also need to do some work to the
      colors of the rocks...they are no right yet.

      click on this link:
      http://www.rail-info.ch/RhB/pics/glacier.jpg

      I have been having these delusions for some time now. The doctor says
      I will get better if I take my medication ;-)

      This photo is of the Glacier Express on the Landwasserviadukt in
      Eastern Switzerland.

      Bill

      http://phone.yahoo.com
    • Wild Zontar
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 29, 2001
        Hi Bill,

        For trees, take a look at this site: http://members.aol.com/architrees/
        I haven't gotten any, but they look pretty good, judging by the photos. I
        came across them on eBay, but they sell through the website as well.

        Greg

        At 09:36 09/29/2001 -0700, you wrote:
        >Hi Gang,
        >
        >Here is a photo of a portion of my layout that I have been working on
        >for a couple weeks now. As you can see, it is still kind of rough and
        >needs more work. I am trying to add more detail to give it more
        >realism. I am having trouble with the trees. It is very difficult to
        >find good looking tree in Z scale. The track plan is a little simple,
        >but I think I will change it to a dual track later so I can have two
        >trains going in opposite directions. I also need to do some work to the
        >colors of the rocks...they are no right yet.
        >
        >click on this link:
        >http://www.rail-info.ch/RhB/pics/glacier.jpg
        >

        >I have been having these delusions for some time now. The doctor says
        >I will get better if I take my medication ;-)
        >
        >This photo is of the Glacier Express on the Landwasserviadukt in
        >Eastern Switzerland.
        >
        >Bill

        >Listen to your Yahoo! Mail messages from any phone.
        >http://phone.yahoo.com

      • D. A. Karp
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 29, 2001
          Architrees' firs and pines are their nicest; the others are not that
          great. I also highly recommend *any* ZThek trees (also available on eBay)...

          At 11:53 AM 9/29/2001 -0500, you wrote:
          >Hi Bill,
          >
          >For trees, take a look at this site: http://members.aol.com/architrees/
          >I haven't gotten any, but they look pretty good, judging by the photos. I
          >came across them on eBay, but they sell through the website as well.
          >
          >Greg

          http://www.creativelement.com/z/
        • Wild Zontar
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 29, 2001
            Hi David,

            Did ZThek move his website? I tried the link on your site, but it can't
            find the page.

            Greg

            At 10:51 09/29/2001 -0700, you wrote:
            >Architrees' firs and pines are their nicest; the others are not that
            >great. I also highly recommend *any* ZThek trees (also available on eBay)...
            >

            >At 11:53 AM 9/29/2001 -0500, you wrote:
            >>Hi Bill,
            >>
            >>For trees, take a look at this site: http://members.aol.com/architrees/
            >>I haven't gotten any, but they look pretty good, judging by the photos. I
            >>came across them on eBay, but they sell through the website as well.
            >>
            >>Greg

          • Bill Hoshiko
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 29, 2001
              Bill

              You CAN do much better. If I'm correct the fourth tree down the cliff
              on the right side is an orange tree and it does not belong with all
              those apple trees. You know the old adage about mixing apples and
              oranges.

              Bill
              El Toro

              CH Bahn wrote:

              > Hi Gang,
              >
              > Here is a photo of a portion of my layout that I have been working on
              > for a couple weeks now. As you can see, it is still kind of rough and
              > needs more work.
              <snip>

            • jmac_han@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 29, 2001
                Hi,

                It is not hard to make your own trees and much more rewarding
                than mailing a check. With a little practice you can churn them
                out and they will look better than the ones you pay a fortune for
                on the internet.

                Fir trees and oaks and poplars are great additions to any layout.
                A forest of hand made trees is attractive and adds enormously to
                the quality of the overall effect.

                I have already published an article in Ztrack on making One
                Minute Fir Trees. I will write another article on the oaks and
                poplars. Both texts will be available on the Val Ease Central web
                site shortly although the fir tree article is already posted. I'll
                let
                you know when the second article is ready.

                Cheers,
                Jeffrey MacHan

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 29, 2001
                  Jeffrey & the gang,

                  I'll agree that making trees is rewarding, although I'm certainly not above
                  incorporating others' trees with my own, especially the aforementioned
                  ZThek trees.

                  As for the ZThek website, it appears to have disappeared. Anyone know the
                  new address?

                  -David

                  At 09:39 PM 9/29/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                  >It is not hard to make your own trees and much more rewarding
                  >than mailing a check. With a little practice you can churn them
                  >out and they will look better than the ones you pay a fortune for
                  >on the internet.

                  http://www.creativelement.com/z/
                • Jim Milne
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 29, 2001
                    --- In z_scale@y..., "D. A. Karp" <z@c...> wrote:

                    > As for the ZThek website, it appears to have disappeared. Anyone
                    know the
                    > new address?
                    >
                    > -David

                    David,

                    I have sent Lajos (ZThek) an email and am awaiting a response
                    from him regarding his website. I too find the old URL is
                    no longer valid.

                    If and when I receive something from him, I will post to the
                    rest of the group.

                    Regards,
                    Jim
                  • WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
                      Jeffrey,

                      I bought a set of your fir trees off of eBay January
                      of 2000 and for what I got, it definitely was a
                      fortune. I was not impressed at all with colored or
                      painted (brown) toothpicks or dowels with some glue
                      applied to it and either dipped or sprinkled some
                      green lichen material to it. That is not a tree!

                      I agree very much with David about Architrees,
                      especially since I just received a shipment of his
                      trees and was not that wild about most of his trees.
                      But Zthek on the other hand, I am impressed with the
                      detail and uniqueness, in short the realizm of his
                      trees. I have not been disappointed by him at all.
                      Now Zthek has quality!

                      Best Regardz,
                      Will

                      I bet those fir trees were done in less than 10
                      seconds right!

                      =====
                      WILLIAM BROCK

                      http://phone.yahoo.com