New material

  • David George
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2010
      Howdy,
      I found a product at Hobby Lobby store yesterday that might be of interest to our Z group.
      It is Funky Foam from Crafts Etc. 12"x18",,3mm(99 cents/sheet) or 2mm thick(77cents/sheet). Fairly dense .Comes in brown.grey,tan, and other brighter primary colors for school projects.Easy to cut,paste and shape.
      Could be cut in strips for road beds, or mounting squares for structures ,replacement for some cork usages, etc.
      Check it out.
      Cordially,
      Mister Dave

    • donfedjur@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2010
        Dave,

        You are probably referring to "EVA" Foam. You can get it at Michaels Craft Stores too. Nice feel to the hand, comes in bright colors, but also black and is great stuff to cradle your engines and rolling stock for when yhou work on them. Z-Track/AZL's engine cradle work station is made from that stuff as it is firm and the cellular structure of it is "closed cell technology". Kinda hard to find that foam commercially, great in block form. Those who offer quality products for packaging, such as FR's rolling stock, are using EVA foam. I wish others who are making and sending us models would used this closed cell foam versus the open cell foam. As the later degrades over time and will either turn to dust or worse, get sticky and destroy your model if it sits in the packaging for great lengths of time, read see's heat as in like an attic.

        And..........like you stated, it can be cut for roads, road bed, and other uses.

        Don Fedjur
        Carlsbad, CA 92009

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2010
          Don,
          As a followup,,I pinned a piece of the Funky foam to construction foam and foam tack ( Aleen's) glued it on. I'm constructing a few more tunnels and used the sheet as a thin tunnel roof (Needed because of certain constraints) , and as I removed the pins this AM , I see that it retains the pin hole,,,and does not fill in,,,so don't pin if the area will be seen later.
          Mister Dave

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, donfedjur@... wrote:

          > Dave,
          >
          > You are probably referring to "EVA" Foam. You can get it at Michaels Craft Stores too. Nice feel to the hand, comes in bright colors, but also black and is great stuff to cradle your engines and rolling stock for when yhou work on them. Z-Track/AZL's engine cradle work station is made from that stuff as it is firm and the cellular structure of it is "closed cell technology". Kinda hard to find that foam commercially, great in block form. Those who offer quality products for packaging, such as FR's rolling stock, are using EVA foam. I wish others who are making and sending us models would used this closed cell foam versus the open cell foam. As the later degrades over time and will either turn to dust or worse, get sticky and destroy your model if it sits in the packaging for great lengths of time, read see's heat as in like an attic.
          >
          > And..........like you stated, it can be cut for roads, road bed, and other uses.
          >

          > Don Fedjur
          > Carlsbad, CA 92009

        • gwhackman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2010
            First. Thank you for the info on the EVA foam. Very helpfull. Someone mentioned that it comes in block form too. Has anyone tried to use a hot wire gun on this material or is that not a smart idea due to fumes? Thanks. Terry in NH