Re : [Z_Scale] New to Scale

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30 1:36 PM
      >Just started into Z scale as of yesterday. Purchased a new Micro-Trains >GP35 along with a decoder and a few cars plus some track.
      >
      >Checked out the GP35 on DC prior to installing the decoder. I have >noticed that it runs much faster in one direction.
      >
      >Any ideas what to look for or should I take it back to the dealer?
      >
      >Thank you
      >Al

      Was the loco running faster in the same direction before you DCC'ed it?
      Dom
    • Al
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30 1:42 PM
        I have not installed the decoder yet. I held off because of the difference
        in speed using DC.

        Thanks
        Al

        > >Just started into Z scale as of yesterday. Purchased a new Micro-Trains
        > > >GP35 along with a decoder and a few cars plus some track.
        >>
        >>Checked out the GP35 on DC prior to installing the decoder. I have
        >> >noticed that it runs much faster in one direction.
        >>
        >>Any ideas what to look for or should I take it back to the dealer?
        >>
        >>Thank you
        >>Al

      • Don Fedjur
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30 5:13 PM
          What brand/manufactuerer of decoder did you get? Simple adjustment of
          CV's will take care of any speed steps. Advantage of DCC is automatic
          compensation of the load you are pulling while maintaining your set
          speed. And.......that's just the beginning besides the sheer fun of DCC.

          Don Fedjur

          Sent from my iPhone mobile office.

          On May 30, 2010, at 1:42 PM, "Al" <a.lautenslager@...> wrote:

          > I have not installed the decoder yet. I held off because of the
          > difference
          > in speed using DC.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Al

        • Alan Cox
          Message 4 of 4 , May 30 5:58 PM
            On Sun, 30 May 2010 17:13:26 -0700
            Don Fedjur <donfedjur@...> wrote:

            > What brand/manufactuerer of decoder did you get? Simple adjustment of
            > CV's will take care of any speed steps. Advantage of DCC is automatic
            > compensation of the load you are pulling while maintaining your set
            > speed. And.......that's just the beginning besides the sheer fun of DCC.

            If it's running much slower one way than the other (and continues do so
            once it's had an hour or two running each way) then something is up and I
            doubt the back EMF on the decoder will hide it well, or that hiding it is
            a good idea.

            Alan